There were several questions going ‘How will my —— Mahadasha be like’. And there is no answer possible for such a generic question. Do not do this with your regular astrologer. Better would be to ask specific questions, eg will I get married or will I get a new job, etc. If you ask generic questions to an astrologer, he will mainly focus on health, relationships and money/ profession, wrap up your session and present you with his bill for the consultation.
However you can get a sense of the underlying theme of the Mahadasha with some basic analysis. This is a short post which will help you determine the effects are expected in the Mahadasha you are interested in.
As you know, the birth chart is the potential, everything that will happen from birth to physical death can be seen from here. (Also some indications regarding the immediate past life and the immediate future life can be gleaned from the basic birth chart.) But to know when these events will happen, to fine tune the predictions, you have to combine the dasha and the transits.
The Vimshottari dasha system has the human life span of 120 yrs and a specific Mahadasha sequence. The starting point of the Dasha sequence is determined by the position of your birth Moon, so the precise birth time is essential..
- Ketu Mahadasha – 7 yrs
- Venus Mahadasha – 20 yrs
- Sun Mahadasha – 6 yrs
- Moon Mahadasha – 10 yrs
- Mars Mahadasha – 7 yrs
- Rahu Mahadasha – 18 yrs
- Jupiter Mahadasha – 16 yrs
- Saturn Mahadasha – 19 yrs
- Mercury Mahadasha – 17 yrs
Here is our sample chart, Aleister Crowley, 12th Oct 1875, 11: 42pm, Leamington Spa, Britain. He is dead and his life is quite well documented so is an ideal subject. Suppose we are analysing the Mahadasha of Mars in his life.
1. Mars is a benefic, in fact the most auspicious benefic, a yogkarak for the chart. So his Mahadasha will also be quite beneficial. He has a typical nature, ie his natural tendency is Kroor, cruel but for the Cancer ascendant he is a yogkarak, the ruler of a kendra 10th house and a kona 5th house, capable of exceptional results. He will use all his power to help Crowley in several ways during his Mahadasha.
2. Mars is the ruler of the 5th and 10th house, so the keywords of these important Kona and Kendra houses will be in focus. All people indicated by these houses, students, children, lovers, bosses, social superiors etc will help Crowley. The 5th and 10th houses will be benefited too, ie all these people in Crowley’s life will gain because of his activities. Also the actions indicated by these two houses will be amplified. Crowley will find himself more in lead roles, he will be able to display his genius more confidently, be lucky, find himself being more recognised, he will produce more ‘offsprings’ from his creativity and connect to the divine etc.
3. Mars is placed in the 7th house Capricorn, ie is exalted, this will add more power to his results. He is happy and comfortable in Capricorn. His host Saturn is there with him, far enough to not directly affect him, but in the same sign, so the environment of the Capricorn sign is benefited by the presence of its own ruler. In any case, Mars will also add his positive power to the things represented by Saturn.
4. Mars will give the results of the 7th house and the Capricorn sign. Matters related to partnership, money from equitable partnerships, new partners on several levels will be more prominent in life. A Kendra house, the 7th is one of the most important houses of the chart as it the only Bhavat Bhavam for the 1st house. So this period will use up resources to create something tangible and useful for Crowley. Mars will actualise the potential of his personality and his environment both. Plus these results will be connected subtly to the background of profession, work, social mobility, social status and fame helping deeply Crowley on all these levels.
4. Mars’ innate nature and natural significations have to be considered to judge the quality of the results. Every planet is in control of certain parts of your life. Mars is the natural incharge of the 3rd house, courage, boldness, also the siblings, brothers, etc. so expect these themes to be more predominant in his Mahadasha. Mars is the challenger, pioneer, the risk-taker etc, in charge of explorations, danger, catastrophic changes to the identity etc, so Crowley’s these abilities will be enhanced and used consciously to create something auspicious for him.
5. You will have to see if Mars is involved in any Yog-s, so refer to the standard books. There is an obvious Ruchak yog seen here, it is a panch purush yog connected to Mars. Exalted Yogkarak Mars in the 7th house. Even if he is conjunct the class one malefic for Cancer ascendant Saturn, he is placed very far away from him. So we can say that the Ruchak yog exists and is capable of giving positive results. So all the positive benefits that this yog confers will be especially active during the Mars Mahadasha.
6. His strength. For evaluating the strength of a planet this there are several options, from the Vimshopaka, Avastha, Shad bala, Ashtakvarga, Janma navtara chakra, Ashtapadmadala chakra, etc. You can choose the ones you are more confident about interpreting.
- Samudayak Ashtakvarga table. Here Mars has 4 points in Capricorn sign, so the other planets will neither help nor hinder him in giving his results. He will be able to perform reasonably well in his Mahadasha
- Shad bala table.
This table gives a lot of information but briefly, Mars has an exceptionally high Ishta phala. His results will be very highly auspicious, long lasting, intense and pleasing for Crowley. His Sthan bala is also quite high, so once Crowley is determined about some action or decision related to the Mars things, he will follow it through powerfully and achieve it. His Dig-bala is reasonably ok, so Crowley will feel reasonably comfortable going in the direction indicated by his Mars. His Drig bala is very highly positive so this means that the agents of the other planets will actively help Crowley. The Cheshtha bala is high which indicates that results indicated by Mars will be achieved faster and with minimum fuss. Overall this indicates that the Mahadasha of Mars will be a fruitful period and grant Crowley a lot of achievements with relatively lesser problems.
7. Analysis of the ruler of the sign Mars is placed in is necessary. Here it is Saturn the ruler of Capricorn. He is placed in the same sign, his own sign and is generally in a good place so will more help than hinder Mars in giving good results in his Mahadasha. You can further analyse his strength using the tables etc.
8. Analysis of the Nakshatra that Mars in placed in. Here Mars is in Uttarashadha nakshatra giving Crowley the ability to massively affect others around him with his Martian qualities. He will be able to sacrifice his self-ego for the greater good. There will be a touch of idealism, philosophy, pragmatism and hard work in all that this Mars does in Crowley’s life.
9. Mars is aspecting the 10th 1st and 2nd house. So he will give positive results related to the keywords of these houses too during his Mahadasha. This will give desirable effects in social life, social recognition, profession, personality development, creation of conducive environment around Crowley, good times with close friends and family, increase in tangible resources, money etc.
10. Position of Mars from the birth Moon will give you a hint on the emotional impacts of this Mahadasha. For Crowley, Mars is placed 11th from the birth Moon, a very favourable position. Whatever results he gives will be pleasing and acceptable on the emotional and mental levels. There will be gain on the astral levels. Especially so if this Mars has matured.
11. The Navamsha and Mars’ power in it is an insight into the potential and subconscious expectations related to him. Mars is vargottam, so gains a lot of power. The Lagna/ ascendant degree falls in Scorpio navamsha, ie Mars controls the overall potential of the subconscious. Also another major planet Mercury falls in Aries navamsha, ie Mars has a subtle say in matters connected to Mercury. No doubt Mars is a very important planet in Crowley’s life, so his Mahadasha will be touching so many aspects of his life in a positive manner.
12. Finally the timing of the Mahadasha – you need to see the age of the person and the socio-cultural context of the results. Eg if this powerful Mahadasha comes at the age of 2yrs what is the baby going to do about it? The parents will get some benefits as the child’s horoscope’s energy is then transferred to them to some extent. But the child himself is not going to use the energy generated. Powerful Mahadasha’s should ideally come at the age of about 15 yrs to 55 yrs to be of real use.
And the mandatory rider. The effects of any dasha/ transit will be dependant on the power of the ascendant lord / sign and the birth Moon. If these are strong then the personality can make use of the events to trigger favourable things even in seemingly unfavourable times.
There are so may ways you can use the different techniques of Jyotish in analysing a planet in your life. This will help you gain more insights into how his Mahadasha is going to work out. What aspects of your life are going to be positively supported, where you can expect help from, which parts of life are going to give you gain. There is never a yes/ no answer to anything and no clear answer can be given to generic questions. But do perform this sort of analysis for your planets as it is always interesting to see how patterns are created in the chart and how different aspects of life are in fact deeply interconnected.
Hi, thank you for explaining this.
For rahu and ketu dashas, would we just look at the house that either Rahu or ketu is placed in and then analyze the depositor as described above?
I have written on the rahu and ketu mahadasha.
Do use the index or search bar. Also a lot on rahu and ketu
LikeLiked by 1 person
Namaste Madamji 🙏
Thank you so much for a detailed post on judging mahadashas! Gives a clear picture for one to analyze dasha by oneself.
Just a quick query on the color coding in Crawley’s birth chart… is there a reason for marking the 2nd & 11th house Rashi numbers in red? Anything particular?
Many thanks! Harih Om🙏
I don’t think so. its just the color scheme i think
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you. I think in your tradition, bad boys are also in some sort connected to the divine. Is it satan, you mean the divine here? I want to underdtand more about the tolerance trafition in India, thats why I am asking.
I don’t understand wht u mean by bad boys.
And yes Hindus ie followers of Sanatan dharma are the most tolerant people.
Every one is supposed to self regulate themselves. If not then its their own karma tht they r piling up. And they will go thru the fruits of their own karma later.
There is always freedom if choice fr everyone but no choice in facing the repercussions of tht choice.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Namaste madam. Thanks for the timely article pertaining to me. Running Mars mahadasha, being the 5lord. Will help me to better understand the same.
Dr Yugal Tak
Heartfelt thanks for this very educative post. Madam, I just had one humble query for learning purposes, please forgive me if this question is silly or too naive or if I might have missed any relevant post.
Query : Madam, in studying divisional charts how do we consider the aspects? I am confused between one side that says Aspects are seen only in D-1 and the other side that says that the same rules apply everywhere for example in D-9 and others… The one book that I read looked at 3rd, 7th and 10th aspect for Saturn in D-9, and I got confused.
I would be grateful for your guidance and thanks again for the valuable post.
there are several ways of using the navamsha
i wrote just the basic, this is just like an introduction
Navamsha tulya rashi concept – the navamsha chart is interpreted just like the basic birth chart. in this you will use aspects, yog, etc everything that you would use for analysing the regular chart.
if you want to know more, do read cs patel’s books on the subject. they are invaluable.
(and there is no need to be so apologetic if asking genuine questions)
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks so much Madam, sincerely grateful for your reply .
Thank you for these very beautiful posts. I was going through your post on Rahu mahadasha where you have mentioned that people born in certain nakshatras will have Rahu mahadasha at the time of birth. But the nakshatras mentioned there are not ruled by Rahu. Am I missing something here, is my understanding correct?
Many thanks. I have posted the link of your article below.
thnx fr pointing it out, it was an error. i have rectified it
LikeLiked by 1 person
I have a feeling that Mars will move to 6th house in bhava chart based on lagna degree.
So will still it has ruchak yoga?
It will shift very marginally by 2 arc mins. It’s negligible. Also each software has its own error limits. And timing may b off by few mins etc.
If u look at that mans life, he had all the indications of Mars operating on very powerful levels. So yes ruchak existed in his chart.
But as u have pointed out, this exalted yogkarak mars is also influencing 14 deg area of the 6th house. So he gave the native the full benefit of this position also in his life.
When you are being exposed to negative energies, is there a way to protect your personalenergy from affecting at that time? We can do the energy protection tools at home..but on that place itself?like a manthra or a prayer? Me especialy prone to energy sapping all the time and only through your blogs I came to understand that concept, so now at least I am aware of whats happening.Always grateful for that.. 🙏
I have written a lot on this esp on psychic attacks etc . Use the index or search bar to locate those posts.
Ok..so no short cuts..already went through all those posts.Thought it wil be easier if we hav something to hold on to wen going through a trumatic experience.
Wear a gold or silver of copper jewellery or even a black thread infused with the mahamrutyunjai mantra. Will solve ur issues.
Keep on recharging urself with it once a week or so.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Very Well Explained… ❤
Hi, Thank you for this article,
I was just wondering about the Mahadasha of the Yogi planet. Does it give more positive results even in more challenging positions – Like Venus in Leo or Mars in Cancer?
Thank you for your time.
i do not understand what you mean by yogi planet.
Thankyou ji….will do it..and the visualization in the morning part also…🙏
I want to share something beautiful after you reassured me that being in Kashi means God has brought me into his shelter and I should not fear or overthink
I was listening to one of remedy and 9th bhaav lecture where I got to know that if you have mars in 9th house it brings fights and causes physical damage. Since Shiva rules 9th, his rudra avatar- hanuman ji becomes natural guru. He will be the ultimate protector. So beautiful that I was brought to this city he has such deep connection with!!!!
You always use to say if 9th house is strong, don’t worry!
But I have one confusion, Am i really blessed by forefathers or mangal in 9th and too strong is bad – unnecessary fights, fiery energy etc. My way highway. Nothing happens in one go in my life
In my chart, 9th bhaav and 4th bhaava are the strongest (above 11 shadbala) and mars is strongest planet, vargottama rashi and even bhav in navamsha. Jupiter aspects from 3rd house but is retro in D-1 and isn’t that strong. Being a female should I wear gemstones?
I was once suggested to wear pukhraj, moonga and cat’s eye (ketu in 10th) but I just felt being typecast. Nobody in my house wears it and judge. Plus I don’t know if it really works? They are so costly.
Mantra recitation I do. Try to find correct pronunciation as suggested.
Can you please guide mam as per my placement would gemstone really change or I should listen to astrologers or just be without them doing dhyana.
if you know how to use them , you can .
every planet in the 9th gives auspicious results eventually.
I just dropped in to tell you this;
I often tell my close friend about your blog and experiences. Recently I was wondering how difficult it would be for you to live and see everything inside out (aura of people, past lives, face/palm reading,….) Wherever you go
Though you reinstate that jyotish is enabling but we cannot deny its better for sanyasi and not for moh-maaya survivers.
No wonder you left personal readings or that karma being over so quick. Energy based healers or being psychic consultant drains and impacts you heavily!
Let me know if its really fun to see everything around being spiritually and psychically gifted soul! I feel it must be too much and takes a toll on you sometime
Love to you.
LikeLiked by 1 person
when i first understood what was happening it was so many years ago. initially there was a period where it was somewhat confusing and sometimes irritating. but now i do not bother, most people have such tiny levels of energies that they do not even register to me. eg if you are walking down a road, do the other people, cows, dogs, shops, birds around you etc really register to you? similarly the other peoples auras do not register. i am aware of them but i do not pay attention. the other entities are another thing, they are several types always around but as they are of no interest to me so they too do not register.
but yes, others are aware of me, eg other entities do pay attention and human small children and babies always stare and smile at me, random children say ‘namaste auntie’ for no reason.
sanyasi and sansarik persons both have their own agenda and choices, why compare? both are equally valid to the persons who are undergoing that phase.
karma got over so quick coz i have been doing this same thing for several lifetimes. i remember those scenes. so many lifetimes doing this same thing. it had to end at some point of time. so this was the life it ended.
and i had other activities to do in this life which were more draining than Jyotish or energy healing. some of these are over and the remaining too will be over soon.
LikeLiked by 1 person
So cool. Some articles of yours give me superwoman vibes. One who knows all. I am sure the energy is so uplifting and pure that children feel comfortable and familiar looking at you like God.
But still for us, it all sounds and feels daunting and heavy hence asked.
Hi Tejaswini Mam
I read your article on cancer ascendant and leo integration. Basically whatever can connect me in making sense related to 7th house.
There is a point in one of your article where you have called cancer> leo in terms of challenging married or general life mostly due to moon being the lord and giving fickle minded nature
I have two charts in my family. Interestingly both of have 7th lord sitting in its own house.
Now I feel and here I need your guidance,
1. For leo, 6th and 7th house ruler sits in 7th house. How can it be better than cancerian. We all know 6th is enemy, illness, prarabdh karma and most dushtana when compared to the 8th house lordship for cancerians.
2. In both the cases, for leo isn’t the spouse/partner becomes the biggest enemy or source of direct prarabdh association and since saturn is malefic (grade A for both and maraka) it cannot be ‘good’ prarabdh. It will be suffering for leo as 6th lord being trishadaya. Most malefic.
whereas for cancerians, 8th lord is part of moksha trikon. Yes it gives sudden transformation, secrets, longevity but it cannot be worse than leo!
Also mam, generally is 8th house lord in 7th good or bad? What does it indicate. Especially if there is parivartan between 7th and 8th lord (sit in each others houses).
Wait for your guidance mam. I read most of the articles.
Namaste Dear Tejaswini ji,
how do we interpret the dasha of a planet who is the lord of 6th & 9th houses placed in 8th retrograde? Would it be a mix of karmic unfolding of dushumsthan & the role as the dharmesh? This planet has a strong ashtakvarga, high ishtaphala, exalted in navamsha but with the least shadbala among the lot.
Many thanks for your guidance & insights, as always 🙏