Yogkarak planets are an important concept in reading a chart. These are functional benefics for the chart and are determined as follows. In your chart, the basic birth chart with the ascendant as the 1st house, check out the following planets,
- The lords of houses 1st, 4th, 7th, 10th (these are called the Kendra houses)
- The lords of the houses 5th, 9th (these are called the Kona houses, together with the 1st they make up the Dharma trikon)
If you have a planet which simultaneously owns a house in both of these categories then it is a Yogkarak, a powerful functional benefic for the chart and your life.
Here is the list of Yogkarak planets for the ascendants,
- Aries ascendant – None of the planets fulfil this condition
- Taurus ascendant – Saturn is the lord of the 9th house (sign is Capricorn) and the lord of the 10th house (sign is Aquarius).
- Gemini ascendant – None of the planets fulfil this condition
- Cancer ascendant – Mars as he owns one Kona house i.e. 5th house (sign is Scorpio ) and one Kendra, the 10th house (sign is Aries).
- Leo ascendant – Mars, as the lord of the 4th house, Kendra (sign here is Scorpio) and also owns a Kona, i.e. is the lord of the 9th house (sign here is Aries).
- Virgo ascendant– None of the planets fulfil this condition
- Libra ascendant – Saturn, he is the lord of one Kendra, lord of 4th house (sign is Capricorn) and also owns the 5th house (sign here is Aquarius).
- Scorpio ascendant – None of the planets fulfil this condition
- Sagittarius ascendant – None of the planets fulfil this condition
- Capricorn ascendant – Venus as the lord of the 5th house (sign here is Taurus) and the lord of the 10th house (sign here is Libra)
- Aquarius ascendant – Venus as the lord of the 4th house (sign here is Taurus ) and also is the lord of the 9th house (sign here is Libra)
- Pisces ascendant – None of the planets fulfil this condition
It may seem a bit strange that the so-called malefic planets, Mars and Saturn are Yogkaraks but Jupiter considered to be the biggest benefic is not a Yogkarak for any ascendant.
Yogkarak for Venus ruled ascendants is Saturn and vice versa. Makes sense in a way, as Venus and Saturn are best buddies. Venus and Saturn may sound a bit funny, something like a happy handsome outgoing man being best friends with an aged sour, workholic discipline freak older man. But look into their natures closely. They match. Both love discipline, Venus too does not like if you break the rules, his rules are moral, of fairness and balance. He is the toughest teacher, teaches us the value of relationships. Both are deeply connected with death. Saturn rules the endurance of your frame and Venus will decide when you have filled your treasuries and thus its time to leave.
So what does this Yogkarak do? In a chart, if the owners of the Kendra and Kona houses are together in a single house they get the capacity to give extraordinary results. The Yogkarak in the specific ascendant’s chart has double the power, as he owns both types of houses, a Kendra and Kona. Thus wherever he may be placed he will always give excellent results. If the Yogkarak planet of a chart is placed well, exalted, with other benefics or in his own sign or has his power enhanced in any way (e.g. in the further divisional charts), it is even better. They can change the entire outlook of the chart.
Saturn is Yogkarak for Libra and Taurus, works well everywhere. If he is placed in a Kendra or Kona, he will give exceptional results for the entire personality. Even in the dushamsthan 6th, 8th and 12th, he will bring out the best possible he can.
- For Taurus ascendant, if Yogkarak Saturn in the 12th house, sign Aries, he can cause a few problems as he will be debilitated.
- For Libra ascendant, he will be debilitated in 7th house (sign Aries) which can delay marriage but Saturn’s direct aspect over the ascendant itself can give very good results.
Mars is the Yogkarak for Cancer and Leo ascendant, ruled by the luminaries the Moon and the Sun. Thus the dreaded Manglik tag need not be quite applied to charts having these ascendant signs. Such a Mars can give quite good results overall because of his position as a Yogkarak.
- For Cancer ascendant, Mars the yogkarak gives very good results in all houses, wherever he may be. If he is in the ascendant Cancer itself, he will be debilitated but still can give good results for the personality. However will cause problems in marriage because of his direct aspect on the 7th house. Such a person will always be aggressive with his loved one.
- For Leo ascendant, Yogkarak Mars gives good results in all the houses he is placed in, except the 12th house (sign Cancer) where he is debilitated.
- For both these ascendants, Mars in the 8th can cause some issues, but if such a person follows some deep meditation, Dhyan, pranayam etc where he actively works on his breathing, it will be of use.
Venus is the Yogkarak for Capricorn and Aquarius ascendants. He will perform quite well in all houses, even in his sign of debilitation Virgo.
- For Capricorn ascendant, Venus debilitated will be in the 9th house. So will be very supportive in life, securing its very foundations.
- For the Aquarius ascendant, Venus will be debilitated in the 8th house occupied by Virgo. So will support by providing good natured, wealthy in-laws family and also will grant inheritance and legacies and bequeaths.
So if you ever get a chart with the ascendant signs, Taurus, Cancer, Leo, Libra, Capricorn or Aquarius look out for the Yogkarak planets and what they are offering. Their gifts can be so powerful that they can change the entire outlook of the horoscope.
For me yogakaraka mars is debilitated in 12th house cancer,but he is with jupiter and venus,also moon is in aries,and saturn is in 6th house,whether my mars has gained any strength in my case or it is of no use,mars is in scorpio in navamsa,please reply
you are an astrologer yourself?
I think i have written very clearly in the post on how to judge a planet, check the ashtak varga , shadbala and the nakshatra of the planets, also observe urself if the books match your life experience .
navamsa fr mars is good,
as this is ur own horoscope do try to learn more about urself by self study, also use the index page to locate more posts which are linked to your chart’s positions
my yokakarka mars in the 9th house with sun and mer. cancer asc. my mars is vargotama mars in pisces both d1 and d9 looks good but still alot of debts and constant misery in life
if you are able to identify the source of imbalance, and you are clear about your final objective then you also have the capacity to set it right..
if you have identified your strengths then using them in the best possible way is also in your hands..