Navamsha is the D9 chart and it gives a lot of information if studied systematically. This post is on how to determine the significant and eventful years in your life using the D9 chart. The times in your life where some important event will occur. However, this event may be favourable or unfavourable depending on the planet triggering it.
This is a practical exercise, so open your birth chart and navamsha chart. As always, you will need the precise birth details in order to be able to use the divisional charts. Navamsha analysis is a vast subject, so do practice and tally your results with what actually happened in your or your subject’s life.
Let’s begin with this table. It gives, in sequence, all the nine amsha of each of the twelve signs. eg the nine amsha of Aries sign are in sequence, Aries to Sagittarius. eg the nine amsha of the Pisces sign are in sequence from Cancer to Pisces. The vargottam amsha are encircled in the chart for easy reference.
Try to locate the nav amsha of your chart’s ascendant degree and all the 9 planets in this table, it will make things easier later.
Now our example. This is the birth chart and navamsha chart for Aleister Crowley, 12th Oct 1875, 11: 42pm, Leamington Spa, Britain. He is dead and has a documented and rather happening life, (the wiki on him is quite an entertaining read), so is a good case study.
Count the number of nav amsha from the nav amsha of the planet to the nav amsha of the ascendant degree.
- Eg In our example chart, his Moon is in Pisces in the birth chart and in Cancer nav amsha. His ascendant degree is in Cancer in birth chart and in the Scorpio nav amsha. So you can simply count the nav amsha in sequence from Pisces sign Cancer navamsha to the Cancer sign Scorpio nav amsha. The count is 41. Thus Crowley must have had some beneficial results in the 41st year of his life, especially related to the Moon and his function in the chart. Moon is his ascendant lord so this positive effect must have helped him on the physical as well as emotional levels as must have created an environment suitable for him in some way. As per his wiki, he worked as a double agent for Britain during this period, so its possible that he enjoyed every bit of it and had some critical successes. The ascendant lord is ultimately the personality in every way and Crowley chose to use this energy to become a spy for his motherland. Moon also represents the homeland and its security.
- Eg. Saturn in in the Capricorn sign and Virgo nava amsha. And the ascendant degree is in Cancer sign and in the Scorpio nav amsha. Saturn is a class one malefic for Cancer ascendant. Even if he is well placed in his own sign he cannot be counted on to give favourable results. Whatever results he gives will be linked in some way to the catastrophic transformational effects of the 8th house Aquarius which is also his mool trikon sign. So at the age of 60 yrs, Saturn must have given Crowley some misfortune which would have affected his standing in the society or financial status or caused some problems in his partnerships etc. In the wiki it says that he was declared bankrupt in Feb 1935. Money is also a function of the 7th house.
Similarly you can calculate the eventful years for the other planets. Depending on the nature of the planet and the aspects of life that he controls you can anticipate the nature of the significant events and their impact on the personality.
Count the number of nav amsha from the nav amsha of the ascendant degree to the nav amsha of the planet.
- Eg. Moon is in Pisces in the birth chart and in Cancer nav amsha. The ascendant degree is in Cancer in the birth chart and in Scorpio nav amsha. So the count is 69. Thus the 69th year of life must have given Crowley some beneficial results especially from the Moon. The ascendant lord being the triggering planet, this event must be related to personal growth, fame, etc. And at this age, as per the wiki, he published his Book of Thoth and the magnificent Thoth Tarot deck. (On a personal note, am very grateful that he created it)
- Eg. if you count for Saturn in the Capricorn sign and Virgo nav amsha, the count is 59yrs. So at this age, some misfortune related to Saturn must have affected Crowley. Now in the 1st method, we saw that Saturn was going to create a misfortune at the age of 60yrs. And now by the 2nd method the 59yrs age was also going to be impactful in a malefic way. So this period had court cases which went against him leading on to the bankruptcy. Court cases are a subject of the 7th house. So the eventful years triggered by the malefic being so close together caused a severely negative and inauspicious result.
Simply counting the nav amsha occupied by the planet starting from the first nav amsha in Ashwini nakshatra.
- eg. Moon is in Pisces in birth chart and in Cancer nav amsha. This is the 100th nav amsha in sequence. So if Crowley had lived to a 100yrs, this year would have been favourable for him, especially for the results possible from the Moon.
- Eg. Counting for Saturn, this comes to 90yrs. So at the age of 90yrs, some sort of displeasing result could have occurred in case he would have lived till this age.
- Eg. Ketu is in Virgo sign and Taurus nav amsha. So the count comes to 50yrs. As per his wiki, he wrote a book on some visions he experienced. And his lover miscarried his child. Virgo is the 3rd sign so writing a book is logical, plus the vision explains Ketu’s influence. And the miscarriage is a classic effect of Ketu.
- Similarly the time indicated by his Sun is 54yrs. He wrote more books including a part of his autobiography. Sun is the reason that he attempted to write an autobiography this time.
You have to count from the nav amsha the planet is placed in to the lord of the nav amsha in which the planet is placed in.
- Eg. Moon is in Pisces in Cancer nav amsha. The owner of Cancer is Moon himself. So the count is 109. Obviously he did not live for so long, but if he would have, this year would have given him some good results from the Moon.
- Eg. Jupiter is in Libra sign and Aquarius nav amsha. Saturn the owner of Aquarius is in Capricorn sign Virgo nav amsha. So the count is 44. So Crowley must have gone through some eventful happening connected to Jupiter at the age of 44yrs. As per his wiki, he received financial assistance from patrons for publishing his books. He was engaged in translating philosophical works from other cultures during this time. Classic results attributable to the position of his Jupiter, owner of the 9th, with Venus and Mercury in the 4th house in Libra. As the ruler of the 6th he ensured that this shaped Crowley’s mind and actions in such a way that he was ultimately rejected by others of British origin and also the Christian faith. And more immediately, made him destitute, lonely, ill and got him addicted to heroin.
This is a relatively simple count. Count from the nav amsha occupied by the planet concerned to the nav amsha occupied by the Moon.
Eg. Moon is in Pisces in Cancer nav amsha. Jupiter is in Libra sign and Aquarius nav amsha. So counting will give you 42yrs. This would be the time where Jupiter must have given some significant event in Crowley’ s life. As per his wiki, he had a relaxing time promoting his new religion. Jupiter as the lord of the 9th and 6th house giving his classic result, seemingly pleasant but ultimately malefic.
So now you can calculate the eventful years in your life using all these methods.
Note the years you arrive at separately for every planet. Some of the planets will be functional malefics and some will be functional benefics. And some will be natural malefics and natural benefics. You will have to reconcile them in a subjective manner to understand the nature of the event and its effect on you.
Eg for Cancer ascendant, Mars is the biggest benefic, yogkarak, but technically he is a natural malefic. So though he will act in his typical aggressive, invasive, courageous, cruel, dominating etc manner and also create events of severe and disruptive energies, still these Martian energy will propel the native, Crowley in our example, to sure-shot successes, gains and fame. Then again for Cancer ascendant, I consider Jupiter more of a malefic as he is incharge of the 6th and 9th houses, additionally the 6th Sagittarius is his mooltrikon. So the natural tendencies of Jupiter, kindness, benevolence, traditional learning, philosophy, support from patrons, etc will more likely than not land the native, here Crowley, in trouble, which is quite evident from the life that this typical man lead.
Next, you will see that a particular year might repeat as per the various counts. eg you might have two benefics giving a positive event eg at the age of 42yrs. So this year becomes more significant in your life and has the capacity to propel you upwards even more rapidly. But if you see two malefics giving their effect at the same age, then you must be doubly careful during this time as there will be added misfortune. eg, was the example related to Saturn granting Crowley bankruptcy in the years 59-60, it was just one Saturn affecting two successive years so the trouble was just his doing. But if there are two different planets then expect trouble from different directions in life.
Also, if you have your eventful years coinciding with the ages of the maturity of the houses or the maturity of the planets then should be more aware of what is happening around you during this time. Try to proactively use the opportunities presented to you by this double surge of energy.
Finally, there will always be several events going on around you but the events indicated by these planets in these times will have the maximum impact on you. You will feel the ripples of these events more deeply within your being and they will change the course of your life. These five methods will give you the most important years in life which will have the most significant events, but to find out what exactly these events will be, do use your own logic, common sense, analyse the texts and practice.
(These methods are directly from C S Patel’s books, I have added just a few minor observations. His books are invaluable for serious student of Jyotish as he gives important insights which are not available elsewhere.)