If your birth moon Nakshatra/Lunar mansion is Mruga or Chitra or Dhanishtha then you will have your Rahu mahadasha going on at your birth. The balance of the planet’s dasha period remaining at birth is calculated using the location (degree/minute/second) of Moon in his nakshatra at birth. If you get this birth time wrong your starting point will be wrong thus your entire life-time’s calculation will go wrong. Rahu’s mahadasha is a long period and goes on for 18yrs, a lot of things can occur in 18yrs!
And then, Rahu’s mahadasha and his sub-periods in the other planets Mahadashas do occur at any point of life. Check out which Mahadasha/Antardasha you are on using any Vedic astrology software. Vimshottari dasha, is the most popular dasha system used for timing events and is quite accurate too, beginners should start with this to get an idea of how planets interact to create an event. So to analyse Rahu Mahadasha, follow these steps, take your time over it.
Step 1 is to know the aspects of life Rahu represents and the power he has to deliver his results. This is the basic minimum. You should know what he is going to give you, then predicting the timing will make sense!
- Rahu in your birth chart (divisional chart 1/D-1).
- He is placed in which house and in which sign? Thus which parts of your life is he controlling?
- The ruler of this sign, is he a friend/neutral/enemy planet for Rahu? How is this planet placed? Is he strong/weak etc, as Rahu will take on his powers and ability to give results.
- Is Rahu exalted/debilitated?
- Which planets is he conjoint/aspected by? Thus which other aspects of the personality is he influencing directly and indirectly.
- Has he matured?
- Which lunar mansion/nakshatra is he placed in? He will be influenced by the ruler of this nakshatra and its characteristics too.
- And finally is there any planet placed in Nakshatra owned by Rahu? He can be influenced by these too!
- Repeat this same analysis from the birth Moon sign, to know how you will ‘feel’ in Rahu’s Mahadasha. Your emotional levels and mental comfort is seen from the birth Moon. These aspects of life can be completely different from what is happening on the physical level.
- E.g. If Rahu is placed in your 11th house from the ascendant, then he will give gains of every sort on the physical levels. But if he is placed 6th from the birth Moon, you will not find emotional fulfilment in those gains, emotionally/mentally you will be in turmoil.
- And this same analysis using the divisional chart 9, Navamsha chart will give a perspective on the sub-conscious expectations and the sum total of Rahu’s potential. The subconscious desire, suppressed within your astral self, which will erupt now. (Do this part whenever you feel more confident, else might end up confusing yourself)
Step 2 Smaller sub-periods within the main period/Mahadasha are called successively Antar-dasha, Pratyantar-dasha, Sookshma-dasha and Pran-dasha. The logic on how to analyse these even smaller units of time remains the same for each planetary owner of the sub/sub periods.
- Find out the power of the sub-period/antardasha planetary lord and the aspects of your life that he controls just like you did for Rahu above.
- Then analyse the relationship between Rahu and the sub-period owner planet. Are they friends, enemies or neutral? How are they placed in the chart? e.g. If they are in the 6/8 or 2/12 uncomfortable aspects, then that sub-lord’s sub-period will not be comfortable, unless the other planet is very strong.
Step 3 is the routine planetary transits/gochar. These can modify results to some extent. So draw your birth chart on a paper and superimpose the current planetary positions on it. Use a different pen so that you can make sense of the composite chart you are drawing.
Rahu is the desires that you have, things that pull your soul. Rahu is perpetually in retrograde motion so his lessons are repetitive and always on the inner psychological levls. In Rahu’s periods expect situations which will test you on the mind/body levels. You may achieve a lot of things but there will always be unexpected things/reversals/gains which will keep you on your toes. He desires privileges, social recognition, ambitions and entry into the elite. Rahu can obscure divine intelligence and basic common sense, so you are carried away with a desire to possess. Things of glamour, thrills, opportunities, secrets, scandals, unusual, foreign, risks, fascinations, surprises will enter your life. You might cheat and use non conventional means to achieve your desires. Rahu is not straightforward. If Rahu in your chart is strongly placed these results last beyond his periods else as his Mahadasha ends these gains can also be taken away.
Rahu takes on the characteristics of the planets he is associated with, so you will need to pay special attention to these influences on him. Most importantly the karakatva of the sub-period/antardasha ruler planet is extremely important. Rahu will amplify all that this planet stands for (karakatva) in your horoscope. If the lord of the sub-period is benefic or poised to give good results in your chart, this Rahu Mahadasha can bring them as Rahu will amplify. e.g. Marriage is also possible in this period as desires and passions are on a high. If the sub-period planet is associated with partnerships and/or romances then love affairs/marriages can occur.
Then Rahu’s periods can also cause physical death, he is quite capable of bringing physical death by himself. Especially so if he occupies the 2nd or 7th house. Or if his sign owner is an Marak, owner of the 2nd or 7th house. Or his sign ruler is placed in the 2nd or 7th house. Or if the sub-period owner is the Marak (but predicting physical death requires in-depth analysis, so don’t scare yourself).
Now to analyse the sub-periods of Rahu’s main period/mahadasha. This is just a starting point for you to base your own analysis on.
- Rahu antardasha
- This period continues from the Mars Mahadasha and compared to the physical movement and single pointed conquest of Mars, your horizons suddenly seem to widen. Desires increase, but it is a diffuse desire that you feel for several objects at once. These desires will depend on Rahu’s karakatva which you have analysed above.
- This period can disorienting, Mars and Rahu are both passionate planets so actively bring about things. Changing from one to the other will not be a smooth transition, at least the first 6mths will be full of rapid change.
- Rahu-Rahu results will be as per Rahu’s nature in your chart which you have evaluated above. This is pure Rahu giving whatever he is capable of giving in your chart.
- You might have to face misunderstandings, rebellions, upheavals, extremes of passions, obsessions, entry of foreign elements. Try to keep an intellectual rein on yourself during this period, do not over-step limits.
- Jupiter antardasha
- Jupiter generally allows Rahu full permission to express himself. You will get all the opportunities to follow your desires. There will be few restrictions, the environment is gentle, generous, benevolent, cheerful and you tend to be successful in your endeavours.
- You might be required to perform some guidance or elder type of roles depending on the mutual relationship between Rahu and Jupiter in your chart. You might gain students/children or a new teacher/higher education. You might also gain insights into the occult if your chart permits.
- Do not get carried away in this period, use your wisdom to rein in Rahu’s more wild antics because karma is judging.
- Saturn antardasha
- Now the restrictions and rules begin, also the repercussions of the permissive Rahu-Rahu and Rahu-Jupiter sub-periods. It can be severely disappointing period with physical/emotional etc stresses often illnesses, as the physical frame of the body is under stress.
- This a difficult period as Saturn restricts Rahu’s desires and allows just the legally permissible stuff to happen. Karma. So here try to accommodate and accept whatever is coming at you. Try to remain neutral to events unfolding around you. Shani is completely materialistic, so there might be restrictions on your personality/environment and also on your spiritual growth. Conversely if Shani and Rahu are mutually well placed you can actually benefit and gain material pleasures.
- Evaluate Saturn’s karakatva, potential to give results minutely before coming to a conclusion about this Rahu-Saturn sub-period. If he is connected to the 6th especially be prepared (and to some extent the 3rd, 8th and 12th). Both Rahu and Shani are airy planets, fierce and related to Karma. In all cases, be careful.
- Mercury antardasha –
- Rahu and Mercury are normally friends, so material benefits can be available. Depending on the karakatva of Mercury you can gain money, fame, courage, defeat your enemies, stay healthy and out of debt, act decisively and resolve karma.
- However generally this period will be quite dynamic, you will be at the center of your group, your contributions will be recognised both in the office and family, and you might get a promotion too. You might learn new skills, make new contacts.
- But if your impressionable adolescent Mercury is not strong enough to resist Rahu’s enticements, he can also grant addictions and psychiatric problems.
- Ketu antardasha –
- There will be minimum free will and scope to actively change things. The Karmic axis will operate as per its own cryptic mechanisms. Try to remain calm and engage in some spiritual activity to maintain yourself.
- There may be occult, paranormal experiences, or even people behaving in strange ways, situations may not pan put as normally expected.
- Loss of control over self is possible so try to use your intellect to control yourself and your activities/behaviour at least.
- This period will be full of activity, either on the physical, mental, emotional or astral planes as karmic rebalance is accelerated. If either of these are connected to Marak functions, physical death can occur.
- There may be gains as per their karakatva but the underlying theme of distress will exist.
- Venus antardasha –
- Venus and Rahu are generally on good terms so can grant material pleasures, with the family, children, wife and money.
- If your Venus is spiritually inclined he can grant progress in your spiritual practice, tantra and the occult.
- Rahu’s periods are intense and obsessive, and Venus has the habit of putting his seekers to the tests of the ‘material pleasures’. So try to maintain a larger perspective. Before you commit yourself to any relationship think twice. Marriages often occur in Rahu’s periods but after his influence stops, these often seem to be mistakes.
- Sun antardasha –
- Here finally intelligence has the chance to pair up with desire. You should make the most of this period to rationally advance only those desires which are legitimate and have a possibility of giving lasting gains.
- You might get opportunities for higher education, stage performances, creative outlets, use them intelligently.
- But if you have let your Rahu loose in the previous sub-periods you might find your self regretting and also losing those unlawful gains.
- Moon antardasha –
- Moon is related to nurture, nourishment and security. So during his sub-period he can grant socially prominent positions related to parenting, army/police, schools, promotions, responsibilities, housing, farming, animal husbandry etc.
- All these desires linked to Moon’s keywords will be amplified, emotional relationships, care-giving, a fulfilling routine, staying closer to loved ones, astral experiences, occult.
- If you can access your spiritual self during this period and work with your astral expectations and desires, there is a good chance that you might create something solid and gainful for yourself.
- Mars antardasha –
- this is the chidra-dasha, the cutting off period. (detailed post here)
- this generally concludes a 18yr period of social etc. accomplishments. No new foundations for public recognition are laid now, it is a wrap-up.
- As both Mars and Rahu are energetic and passionate there will be unexpected twists at the very end of Rahu Mahadasha.
- The next Mahadasha belongs to Jupiter so the personality will now change from uncontrolled desires to contemplative philosophy.
Everyone who wants to learn astrology should analyse their own horoscope first. It is quite easy to predict major events and with practice you can predict minor events too. Get into the habit of pulling out your own chart for a detailed analysis every 6 months, take a couple of days over this in-depth analysis. Look at the Dasha periods and transits that will happen over the next 6 months, try to predict what may happen. Tally these predictions 6 months later. Evaluate for yourself how accurate you are getting with practice.
- It would help if you do jaap of Rahu’s beej mantra regularly during his main-period. ‘Om bhrang bhreeng bhroung sah Rahave namah (once, thrice, 108 times as per your wish) Om’.
- If you feel that Rahu is capable of giving malefic results, you can do charity of the things associated with him, food, colors, flowers or anything else.
Rahu’s period is quite long at 18yrs and his sub-periods in the other planet’s mahadashas will also carry his ‘flavour’. He works for 18yrs so there will be long periods of comparative inactivity interspersed with sudden bursts of quick actions. Lot of things occur in 18yrs, and Rahu grants them all, overall it is a good period for material gains, but always use your intelligence and sense of fair play during this period for lasting gains. And it is one half of your karmic push-pull axis. So be prepared for karma overdrive whenever his times come up in your life.