Our energy is always in movement as the universe does not allow stillness. You always move, your thoughts, your body parts, your mind, your vital energy/pran. If you are a part of the Universe, you have to be a part of the movement. You are always exchanging energy, when you speak to others, when you listen, when you eat food cooked by others, when others eat food cooked by you, when you sit next to someone in the bus, all the time. In our lives, we are required to interact with a lot of people, either directly in person or indirectly. When we touch other, eg hug, shake hands, or brush against each other in the train, ie the body touches, the intensity of energy exchange is higher. The heaviest energy exchange occurs when people are physically intimate with each other.
A small experiment which you can try out. If you know to see auras, try seeing your and your loved one’s (husband/wife/child) auras interacting. Both sit about 2 feet away from each other and relax. Now in 5 mins or so, on your side where he is sitting, you will feel warmth on your bare skin. Your cheek and neck areas are more sensitive to this. If you focus on the 2 ft space between you two, will see tiny glittery bits separating from your aura, very gently swirling and being absorbed in his aura and likewise. These are very beautiful glitter, their movement is almost hypnotic. Auras of two people never mix, there remains clear boundary always. (I have seen the auras of two people mixing completely just like water-colors do, only once in my life.) The energy exchange is through these glittery particles. If you both are feeling exceptionally peaceful, ask your child to come and sit between you, he will fall asleep in 5 mins! This is the exchange of energy. You and your loved one are very comfortable with each other, so the aura exchange is beautiful, gentle, soothing. Aura exchange between 2 people on similar energy levels is always pleasant. But if this were some random stranger sitting next to you in a train the quality of the exchange would be different. And if it were someone tired, depressed and unhappy it would be even worse for you.
Some of us have an extra load on us, we are bound by karma to give out more energy than we perhaps receive from others. Eg a doctor has to touch people in pain, suffering from diseases. He not only diagnoses them but also gives a part of his energy to them. The higher self of the patient requests relief and the higher self of the doctor spontaneously gives. A psychiatrist has to listen to others suffering from unbalanced energies of the mind. A lawyer has to always argue, and listen to arguments, lie himself and listen to lies. All involve energy.
Everyone is bound by karma to serve. This ‘service’ you perform for others is the domain of the 6th house. If these others are on a lower energy level than you, oppressed in trouble, in pain, disturbed, then you give of your energy. Look at the horoscopes of professionals who are required to interact with the public in a big way eg doctors, astrologers, lawyers, teachers, counsellors, politicians, police-officers etc, you will note certain similarities. In the birth chart, where the rising sign/ascendant is the first house you will see,
- A loaded 6th house, occupied or aspected by several planets. These planets determine your ‘partner’ in this energy service.
- Or the lord of the 6th occupying important houses which define the personality and environment.
- Or the Virgo sign occupying such important houses.
- Or heavy duty planets influencing Virgo sign, wherever it may be placed in the horoscope.
- Or Mercury being very prominent in the horoscope and under the influence of powerful planets.
And even in the birth Moon chart where the sign occupied by the Moon is counted as the first house, you will see these same combinations. In this Moon chart, the 6th house counted from the Moon represents the sufferings of the astral body and the service required of you in the astral planes.
I know a horoscope where the Moon himself is placed in the 6th house from the ascendant, so the physical environment of the person, especially during the childhood from 3.5yrs to 22yrs was spent travelling in trains everyday, causing a loss of energy by brushing against adults travelling. This person used to fall ill a lot in childhood, diseases related to ‘coldness’, as the energy of the body was being drained. Also his mother was a continual source of energy loss. Then Saturn was in the 12th house counted from the ascendant, ie placed in the 6th house counted from the Moon. This person was plagued by spirits and other dimensional beings always after him demanding, he could not deep sleep, was always roaming in the astral. This used to scare him, he lost a lot of energy this way too and also fell seriously ill.
So losing energy is a part of life and is also connected to your horoscope placements. But the thing is that you should be aware of what is happening and take corrective action asap.
I always emphasise grounding cleansing and shielding, wrote a full post on this.
- Grounding is giving away the negativity to the earth, sort of ‘earthing’ oneself. This is very easy, walk barefoot on the ground for a few minutes once a day and its done.
- Cleansing is like using energy directly or through tools like, lemons, sea-salt etc. Here you are actively removing the deep seated negative energies, evil eye etc using these tools, ideally once a week is necessary but you can do these cleansing methods daily too if you want to. (Peacock feathers, sprinkling Ganga water, sea salt, rice, pendulums, can be used daily.)
- Every culture has a system of removing the ‘evil eye ie deep-cleansing. In India the most popular one is this. It is done on a Tuesday or Saturday evening. The oldest person in the house does it for everyone in the family and also for himself if required. He makes paper packets, a separate one for each person. Each packet has 3 dry red chillis, 3 pinches of sea-salt, 3 pinches of black mustard seeds and 3 drops of mustard oil. The intention is to remove the negative energy adhering to the person. This packet is waved over the head of the person 3 times in the clockwise direction and put in a fire. As it burns the evil eye is removed. I have seen that if the negativity was more, the packet burns up strangely and very fast. But this method is a bit harsh on the energy body, sort of scrubs it out!, so it is best performed just once a week.
- Shielding is essential, you can use a chi-ball to create your energy shield or as I have described in this post on astral defense. This is a daily affair, will take maybe 30seconds in the morning and you can refresh it during the day if you feel like it. Then jewellery, if you can afford gold, silver or copper, you can infuse the metal with the intention to shield and wear it. Amulets are also a good way of combining shielding with fashion. Black threads are worn on the wrist or ankle etc. There are several ways to go about shielding yourself, choose one or a few which appeal to you.
People in high-contact activities should take more care of themselves. They should do activities which increase pran, I have listed these out in my earlier posts, eg sitting in the early morning sunlight, surya-namaskar, visiting high-pran, sea-shore, pine-forests, mountains, etc areas in their holidays, using oil for massage, eat fresh food, fresh vegetable and fruits are very good, keeping tulasi plants in the house. There are so many ways you can do this, just go through my earlier posts for several very easy ways. It is not very complicated either, try to remember/find-out what your grand-parents used to do, what kind of life-style they used to follow. Try to follow that as far as possible. This will be more connected to nature/vital energy and also appropriate to your home-culture also.
And the most important thing is to do your spiritual practice where you sit on your Asan, focus on your third eye chakra, count your breath, 108 breaths, use a mantra Om/ Soham or Hamsa with every breath (will take 20mins) and then sit in the same attitude for at least 10 more mins. Give yourself these 30mins at least once a day, it will replenish your pran from the inside out!
No one is exempted from this binding of the 6th house, serve / suffer, this is the way you have chosen to complete your karmic binding. The only people exempted and that too to some extent are those who choose to leave the society ie take Sanyas and are never seen in habitations again. The very very rare few. These Sanyasi’s choose to dedicate their energies to ‘stillness’. They still the movement of vital energy in their bodies, create a huge potential and then move. They, then, shoot up this pran and then the Kundalini through their Sushumna right to to the top and attain Moksh.
(This post is a response to this comment from the contact form. ‘I often find myself in a dilemma when I read your posts because you stress upon not touching others and rightfully. I am a therapist by profession and live in a city. I work with children and adolescents and naturally offer handshakes and hugs. I also travel in public buses. I wonder if we are required by karma to share our energy with others? Especially the children in my case? How does one protect then, since certain circumstances cannot be avoided. Thank you for your sound advice’)