The Dasha systems are necessary to time events in astrology. I have written several posts on the Vimshottari Dasha. It is the first Dasha system taught to students, there is a lot of material and research on Vimshottari, it is the easiest to understand and is accurate. But there are more Dasha systems which are applicable in certain cases. A professional astrologer has to be familiar with at least 3-4 Dasha systems.
The Kaalchakra dasha system gives very accurate results for everyone at all times if the accurate birth details are known. I know most of my readers have not learnt Kaalchakra or perhaps not even heard about it, but writing this post in the hope that someone might be inspired to read and learn it eventually. (If you intend to learn Kaal chakra Dasha refer to the book by Shakti Mohan Singh, it gives the correct method of calculating stuff.)
The Deha and Jiv rashi concept is one of the unique features in the Kaalchakra Dasha. Even without learning the entire Kaalchakara Dasha system you can use this concept and it will give you one more tool to cross-check your predictions or make sense of what is happening to you at the moment.
Open your Vedic astrology software (any software will do), check that the Ayanamsha is Chitrapaksha – Lahiri, then input your birth time and location. Note your birth Moon’s position, ie his Nakshatra/ lunar mansion and its quarter/ pad. Now refer to the table below. There are two types of signs mentioned against your birth Moon’s Nakshatra quarter. ‘Deha’ and ‘Jiv’ signs. Deha means the body. Jiv means the individual soul.
These two signs, Deha and Jiv, are the most sensitive signs in your birth chart. Locate them in your birth chart, see the influences on them. If there are any planets placed in them at birth they will give rather intense and sudden results. Benefic planets influencing them will indicate sudden rise in life and malefic planets influencing them will indicate sudden distress. If there are no planets placed in these signs at birth it is relatively a better situation as there are fewer unexpected changes in life. Too many changes in life, even if they are auspicious, tend to disrupt the smooth flow of the life experience and need to be navigated with care.
The Deha sign is linked to your body, the physical environment and the material stuff.
- If there are malefics here at birth then one should be careful when these connected planet’s Vimshottari dasha-s change. This Dasha change period makes the body most susceptible to ill-health. If you have learnt to use the Kaalchakra system then you should keep track of the Deha sign periods and be careful accordingly.
- Malefic influences on the Deha sign in transit will almost always give sudden illness. Depending on what kind of planet and which sign is involved you can predict the type and intensity of illness.
- Benefics naturally will give pleasing results, good health, mental and emotional happiness in the time periods controlled by them and these signs. But no one comes to the astrologer to know why he is having a good time. They will come to ask when the good times will come, for this you can look up the future transits and analyse.
Jiv sign is linked to the individual soul, karmic bindings, mental and emotional stuff. It indicates the issues of the individual soul very deeply. eg Moon under stress can cause emotional breakdown but an malefic affliction to the Jiv sign can cause the person to be in the depths of despair, the soul itself is in torment, which will not be visible to others around him.
- Malefic influences here at birth will make the person labour under a burden of the soul throughout life. There is an underlying despondency and an overall listlessness.
- Malefic transits over this sign can cause intense trauma to the soul. A dark night of the soul type of trauma. Mental anguish, depression, isolation, betrayal, abandonment by the loved ones, separations etc are very common results during this period.
- Benefics involved here will also give sudden changes but these will be naturally auspicious and supportive in nature.
If both the Deha and Jiv signs are afflicted by malefics in the birth chart, this lowers the quality of the horoscope. Such a person should perform remedial measures, do a regular spiritual practice or at least some mantra jaap regularly to keep his body and soul in balance. If both the Deha and Jiv signs have benefics placed in them at birth these will give auspicious results but life will be quite happening with sudden rises happening frequently. This is also can become a disruptive thing if the personality is unable to rapidly adjust to the sudden rise in fortunes.
During the transits of the nine planets, it is natural that sometimes they will transit over the Deha and Jiva signs both. ie both these signs will have some planet transiting over them. These times in life will be rather happening and there will be sudden changes depending on the natures of the planets transiting. If two or more malefics transit these signs then expect severe stress. In case the malefic influence is very severe, it can manifest as temporary separation or death of relatives, loss of job, loss of wealth or ill-health. This period is invariably very dangerous for the person’s body, mind and soul. He should be prepared for rough times ahead. If several malefics including Rahu/ Ketu are involved they can also cause physical death. If these transiting planets are benefics then they will give sudden changes in life but these will be agreeable changes and ‘sudden rise’. If there is a mix of malefic and benefic influences transiting the Deha and Jiva signs, then the results will also be mixed.
And one more simple way of using the Deha and Jiva concept. Locate these two signs, Deha and Jiva in your birth horoscope.
- If either of these signs fall in your 6th, 8th or 12th houses, you should beware of sudden changes in life which lead to turmoil.
- In case these signs fall in the Kendra (1st, 4th, 7th, 10th) houses or the Kona (5th, 9th) houses they will give sudden changes in life but they will be for your good.
Now let’s do a small practical. Right now (Nov 2019 to Jan 2020) Sagittarius – Gemini is going through a lot. Such events are perfect study periods for Jyotish.
Tally this Deha and Jiv concept with what has just happened and is still happening in Sagittarius. Sagittarius is, as it is, one of the most happening signs of the zodiac. During Nov 2019 to Jan 2020 things have been even more happening in transit for Sagittarius. So many planets together, the slowest trio, Saturn + Ketu + Jupiter together, total solar eclipse, combust Jupiter, combust Mercury, combust Saturn, a total solar eclipse, Rahu/ Ketu nodes in forward motion almost stationary etc. A huge burst of energy, malefics and benefics all mixed up.
People born with their birth Moon in the following Nakshatra+pad will be suffering because their Jiva sign is Sagittarius. Refer to the table above, Sagittarius can only be a Jiv sign for anyone born in the,
- first quarter of the nakshatras at group (1) of this table.
- fourth quarter/pad of the nakshatras listed in group (2).
- first quarter of the nakshatra listed at group (3)
- fourth quarter of nakshatra at group (4).
Almost all of these individuals will go through an intense period of soul searching and mental anguish during the period Nov 2019 to Jan 2020.
The next high voltage sign would be Gemini which is in 7/7 axis with Sagittarius. Gemini too is facing the brunt of the energies being released in Sagittarius and a small penumbral lunar eclipse coming up on 10th Jan 2020. So people with Gemini as their Jiv sign – Group 1 nakshatra= birth in second or third quarter or Group 4 nakshatra = birth in third or fourth quarter are also going through their version of sudden events. If you have anyone around you with any of the above birth Moon nakshtra-quarter, observe him/ her analytically.
The effectiveness of signs (this post) is a very important part of astrological analysis. Focussing only on the planets we forget that the signs and also the houses are equally important. Sagittarius and Gemini are the signs of surprises, the highest energy signs. The periods controlled by these are often full of action. The houses they are placed in, show quick moving events (even Vimshottari dasha is to be analysed on these lines, posts here). Now these two signs are the axis of an energy maelstrom. And the worst part is that the individual has no control over these events or his response to these events. It is like being caught in this whirlpool of events and trying to keep oneself above water.
If you look at the current situation, there are so many planets in Sagittarius, Rahu in Gemini, Moon transits fast at 2.25days/sign, Mars is in Scorpio and Venus in Capricorn. January end will bring some respite to the beleaguered Sagittarius-Gemini axis when Saturn moves out into Capricorn. Jupiter can then try to repair the damage by adding his dose of hope and philosophy. But Ketu will add his own mix of spirituality into the repair work. Interesting times in any case.
Can totally relate as a Gemini Jiva sign! Quite challenging times mentally/emotionally with these energies being pulled in all dire