The first eclipse of the year 2020 is coming up on the night of 10th / 11th Jan. It is a penumbral lunar eclipse, visible in India from about 22:35 pm to 2:40 am Indian time. It will have its effect throughout Asia, Europe, Africa, Australia etc.
It is just a penumbral eclipse and the shadowing of the moon will be extremely faint. There are no specific rituals that need be performed as such. During the actual eclipse if you feel like it you can perform some spiritual practice or do mantra jaap of Rahu/Ketu and Sun/Moon or Gayatri or whatever you feel like. However pregnant women should take care also consult your doctor and if possible avoid giving birth during this time. A pre-eclipse time of 9 hours is considered the ‘sutak’ period for a lunar eclipse. People avoid doing auspicious activities during this period. Generally a fast is observed or some eclipse-specific pujas are performed during the sutak period. For a solar eclipse the sutak period is 12hours before the solar disc starts getting occulted.
A lunar eclipse needs only the Sun and the Moon to be opposite each other with Rahu/Ketu. So in this scenario only those few people whose ascendant or birth Moon sign is Leo, Cancer and the sign axis in which the eclipse is occurring would be affected. But this time, in addition we have Saturn Jupiter Mercury caught up in this eclipse energy and are combust! Practically 80% of the population will see something of these energies generated affecting their life. As it is you can see world events have gone very erratic in these times.
Generally a penumbral lunar eclipse has limited energy so its effects are also rather limited. The main umbral eclipse where the Moon is visibly occulted is the real thing. But this time, though the eclipse is weak, it is just one more energy event in a sequence of events since Nov 2019 and which will continue till 22nd Jan 2020. The eclipse is occurring in the over-loaded Gemini-Sagittarius axis,
- Rahu is going to eclipse the Moon in Gemini. Gemini belongs to Mercury. Gemini is a typical house, the 3rd natural house of the zodiac and has the potential to go either way.
- Ketu is with the Sun, Saturn, Jupiter and Mercury in Sagittarius. Also Jupiter, Mercury and Saturn are combust, ‘evaporated’ by the Sun. The Sun has taken in all the qualities of these planets and has become a ‘mixed-up-Sun’, combustion of planets changes the quality of the Sun. Sagittarius has been bearing the brunt of all this energy for quite some time now. Their this Sade-sati phase has been quite bad despite Jupiter being there.
- Mars will be aspecting Rahu+Moon with his 8th house aspect. This is an intense aspect can trigger rash behaviour.
- We have just had a humongous solar eclipse on 26th Dec 2019. I have written several posts on this energy event.
- The nodes are in the forward motion and are almost stationary. This indicates past karmas are moving very fast, almost everyone is caught in a whirl of events over which there is no control.
- Only Venus is away from all this, the only graha who is not involved. However his Taurus sign is a bit uncomfortable as Sagittarius is 8th from it, so triggering fast sudden changes in their lives.
People with Gemini or Sagittarius as their ascendant or Moon sign should be careful. To some extent Taurus, Cancer, Scorpio and Capricorn signs also should take care. Some major changes are in the offing. For the rest of the signs the results are neutral. For Aries and Libra, if the rest of the chart supports, these two signs can benefit during this period.
People in the planetary Dasha of Moon eg Vimshottari Moon Mahadasha or Moon antardasha. Or if sign-based dashas are applicable to you, then those of you in the Dasha periods of Gemini or Sagittarius signs. If you can use the Kaalchakra dasha, then those with Gemini or Sagittarius signs Deha or Jiv rashis will be disturbed. All these people should expect significant changes in life in Jan-Feb 2020.
Some of the issues which can be triggered by this eclipse are as follows. These are general readings, the intensity will depend on the rest of the birth chart and the math. But these results will be seen at some level or the other, mild or intense everyone will experience these.
Respiratory problems, allergies, nervous issues are possible. Arguments with siblings, misunderstandings with teammates or office colleagues are possible. Take care to complete your office work in time. At home, there is a high chance of differences with the husband/wife leading to temporary separations. You might feel ‘out of tune’ with your best friends. Avoid taking major issues related to relationships till Jan end, ie proposals, engagements, marriages, separations or divorce. You might feel stressed out emotionally and mentally. Psychological issues and depression are likely for some. Take care of your money, relationships and health. Misunderstandings, rumours or even lying and cheating is possible, so think logically before you act. Avoid loose talk and gossip. Engaging in financial speculations can be risky at present. Risky behaviour, rash driving, trying antics while swimming can get dangerous. Vehicles and electrical equipment can refuse to cooperate adding to the overall stress energy.
There are some things you can actively do to re-direct the energies swirling around you. Reading new books or writing something always works. You might just chance on that idea for a new book or something genius. Try to find common ground with other people, it might take some effort but do it. Go out for a walk or try and do something new, avoid sitting alone with your thoughts. Thoughts can be erratic or depressive during this period. De-clutter or do some spring-cleaning, rearrange your desk your room furniture or your wardrobe. There are changes due in the near future, try to keep your mind flexible. Avoid getting overly emotional, do not insult anyone. Mercury is combust and there is an eclipse in his Gemini, whatever you say can magnify and later backfire.
Again, by itself this lunar eclipse is not that powerful but can be the last straw for the over-loaded Gemini-Sagittarius axis people.