In a horoscope analysis, the most important planetary force is the Ascendant Lord, followed by the Moon. If your these 2 forces are well placed and are capable of giving good results the basics of your life are secured. Now here is a checklist of the Arishta/malefic influences in your chart. You will need to see this list in the context of your horoscope. Every planet has the capacity to give malefic results depending on several factors.First to begin with, the planets,
- The natural malefics are Mars, Sun, Saturn, Rahu and Ketu. (Jupiter, Venus, well placed Moon and well placed Mercury are benefics)
- Moon if weak, debilitated, under the influence of malefics or placed very near the Sun will act as a malefic.
- Mercury if weak, debilitated or under influence of the malefic planets will act as a malefic.
- Benefics Jupiter, Venus, Moon and Mercury can become ineffective if they are retrograde. If retrograde and under the influence of malefics they can even give malefic results.
- The essential malefic/benefic nature of these planets will be modified depending on the houses that they own in the chart, so will vary as per the ascendant sign. So take note of this modification in their natures too!
The houses and their owners,
- The dushamshthanas, 6th, 8th and 12th are sources of malefic influences. Even a benefic placed here will give malefic results. Worse will be if you have the Moon or Ascendant owner placed here.
- The placement of the owners of the dushamsthanas should be analysed. These ‘house owners’ may be benefic/malefic by their essential nature, but for this chart they are karaks/agents of turmoil so you need to pay attention to which house they are placed in.
The agents of death, the Marak and Marakesh,
- The 2nd house and the 7th house are called the Marak sthan, these houses are linked to timing of physical death. Presence of malefics in these houses at birth needs to be checked. Especially should remain alert during transits of malefics through these houses.
- The house owners of these 2nd and 7th houses are called the Marakesh, they decide the timing of death. Especially be careful during Mahadasha and sub-periods of these planets and their transits. Even simple illness during this period can act as the ‘seed’ for physical death.
Additionally the chart draws strength from these positions,
- The houses 1st, 4th, 7th and 10th are called the foundations of the horoscope/Kendra. If benefics are placed here they provide strength and vitality which can tide over malefic influences.
- The 3rd house is the ‘house of house’ for the 8th house. It is the ‘death’ of ‘death’. So even if you have malefic planets placed here they add to your strength. This house represents your confidence and inner boldness so any planet performs well here.
- The 11th house is the Bhavat-bhavam for the 6th house, it is the ‘enemy’ of the ‘enemy’. Any planet, benefic/malefic, performs well here. It represents your gains and adds to your strength.
Now the timing. – Now that you know which planets are the malefic energies of your chart, you will need to pay special attention to their dasha periods and transits. If you get a chart with questions you will need to do this part of the analysis.
- First check what sort of a problem it is. Which houses are linked to it, there are a few limited categories of problems. You can easily check which house and which planet related issues these are.
- For medical emergencies
- For marriage problems
- For business, profession and finance related problems
- Land and property
- Issues with children
- Education related questions
- Now see which Mahadasha and sub-periods are on. If they are of some malefic planets take notes.
- Then the current transits and how these planets in transit are interacting with the birth planetary positions related to the question that is being asked.
- e.g. for medical emergency, you see that the it is the 7th house Lord/Marakesh Mahadasha with Ketu antardasha which can cause illnesses and even physical death. If in this, you see Saturn transiting the Ascendant sign. And in this, if Mars transits the 8th and Moon comes in the 8th for its 2.25days transit. Accident will happen. If Jupiter is transiting the 12th it can lead to death even. But if Jupiter is in the kendra house it can save the life.
Analysing malefic influences is a distasteful but essential part of any horoscope analysis you do. After all no one comes to you for asking ‘why am I doing good’! You will always get clients with problems, so with time this analysis becomes automatic.