Sometimes you need to know auspicious timings, for buying a new house, or starting a puja or something important. As everyone has access to an astrology software so selecting auspicious timings is quite easy (not discussing the ‘why’, just on how to do it!). I use the ‘Hindu calender – Drik panchang’ app by developer ‘Adarsh Mobile Applications’.
Step 1 – Panchang
Panchang is the Indian system of maintaining the calender and composed of five parts which have to be evaluated for arriving at the auspicious Muhurt. You open the Panchang section of the app/software, input the day you are considering and read the data on the following.
- Thithi (Lunar day) – The day/Tithi of the dark fortnight/Krishnapaksha or bright fortnight/Shuklapaksha.
- Avoid the 4th, 6th, 8th, 12th, 14th and no moon day as generally inauspicious.
- The rest are good.
- Shuklapaksha, the bright half is better for most auspicious activities.
- Vaara (Week day) – Generally Thursday and Friday are good for all activities. Avoid Tuesday and Saturday for auspicious activities, you can carry out activities like getting back loans etc on these 2 days. The rest of the days are average.
- Nakshatra (Lunar mansion) – The Lunar Mansion in which the Moon occupies at Sunrise – Nakshatra (The Vedic/Indian day starts at Sunrise not midnight.)
- The 3 nakshatras Bharani, Krutika and Ashlesha are not good for general auspicious activities.
- Auspicious nakshatras generally are Ashwini, Rohini, Mruga, Pushya (this is not for marriage), Magha, Uttara, Hasta, Chitra, Swati, Anuradha, Moola, Uttarashadha, Dhanishta, Shravan, Uttarabhadrapada and Revati.
- The remaining are average.
- Yog – The Sun and Moon together form auspicious and inauspicious periods throughout the day, these are calculated as yog. There are 27 yog.
- Vishkhamba, Vyaghata, Parigha, Vyatipatha, Vydhruti, Ganda, Atiganda and Shool are inauspicious.
- Except these you can choose the other names which are good.
- Karan – The activities suitable for the day are also described as karan. There are 2 karans in a lunar day. One for the day and one for the night. There are 11 karanas.
- Bhadra and Nagavam are inauspicious.
- You choose other names other than these which are good.
Step 2 – Chandrabala.
To choose the day with the most favourable moon sign. Open the daily moon sign section of the app/software. Count the sign occupied by the transiting moon of that day from your birth moon sign. It should not be 6th, 8th or 12th. Rest all are good. (detailed post here)
Step 3 – Tarabala
To choose the day with the most favourable Nakshatra for you. You should know your birth Moon Nakshatra for this. Look into your birth chart, it will be mentioned.
Now in the Tarabala section of the app/software you choose the day you are thinking of and you will either see these serial numbers or these names against your Birth Moon Nakshatra. Choose the ones which are ‘good’.
1 – Janma – danger (bad)
2 – Sampath – prosperity (good)
3 – Vipath – accidents (bad)
4 – Kshema – wealth (good)
5 – Pratyak – obstacles (bad)
6 – Sadhana – success through work (good)
7 – Naidhan – dangers (bad)
8 – Mitra – friendships (good)
9 – Parama Mitra – excellent (very good)
Step 4 – Panchak Rahita.
To choose a time where the ‘5 sources of stress’ are nullified. Open the Panchak rahita section of the app/software, input the date you are considering and check out the panchak rahita period for the day. You will see some of these 5 options against the day/time, then it is inauspicious.
Mrityu Panchak – risk of death
Agni Panchak – risk from fire
Raja Panchak – risk from the king/government
Chora Panchak – risk from theft
Roga Panchak – risk from diseases
For auspicious periods it will be clearly mentioned ‘shubh muhurt’.
Step 5 – The hours ruled by the planets. The rule here is simple, the first hour of the day after sunrise is ruled by the planet of the Day,
- e.g. first hour after sunrise on Monday ruled by Moon and so on in the sequence Saturn, Jupiter, Mars, Sun, Venus, Mercury.
- e.g. first hour on Tuesday owned by Mars then following the sequence Sun, Venus, Mercury, Moon, Saturn, Jupiter.
The general readings are these,
- Moon – Suitable for relationships and emotional things, land and house purchase, purchase of household items, long travels, joining new job.
- Saturn – Should be generally avoided. Suitable only for business related to oil, farming and selling lands and houses.
- Jupiter – Suitable for starting new ventures and expansion activities of all types, education, business, marriage, gold etc.
- Mars – Generally avoided but suitable for specific activities like business in electronics, explosives, weapons.
- Sun – Suitable for government related activities, new job, politics, share markets and speculation.
- Venus – Suitable for all new ventures and all activities. Marriage, business, purchasing, selling, journeys. etc
- Mercury – Suitable for business activities, financial activities, short travels, learning new skills.
Step 6 – Surya Sankranti –
The Sun transits one sign in one month. A time of 6 hours and 24 minutes before and after the Sun transits into the next sign is inauspicious so avoid this period for starting new projects.
Step 7 – Finally draw the horoscope of the day and time you have fixed and check the following.
- The ascendant lord of this chart should not be with malefics or in the 6th, 8th or 12th houses.
- The moon of this chart should not be with malefics or in the 6th, 8th or 12th houses.
- The house of this chart related to the activity you wish to perform should be strong. eg, for buying a new house the 4th house should be good. For a new job the 10th and 11th houses, for a new business, the 7th and 11th houses etc.
This was a very brief to-do list on calculating Muhurt, the auspicious times in astrology. A perfect Muhurt is very rare, so choose a good Muhurt which has the maximum possible positive attributes and fewer negative attributes. The very basic concept is that such a day should be favourable to the main person in the ritual/action. If you cannot wait for a proper muhurta, buy your car on a day which has the transit Moon sign in favourable aspect with your birth moon (1st, 4th, 11th).
You can do these simple calculations on your own, there is really no need to go and consult a professional! A project started in a good Muhurt will be naturally more auspicious, smooth and hassle free.