Divisional / Varga charts analysis is for the advanced students of Jyotish.
I have written a lot on the D 9 navamsha chart analysis (index page). The next varga chart which you will use a lot in your practice is the D 10. Questions on profession or success in life or the purpose of life are common and a complete answer to such questions will require a study the basic birth chart D 1, the Navamsha chart D 9 and the Dashamasha chart D 10. You can either calculate the D10 by hand or on your software of choice. And you will need the exact time of birth else the divisional charts will mislead.
The DC 10 is the snapshot of the power to act, ie the Kriya shakti of the personality. The responsibilities which will be placed on your shoulders and your capacity to fulfil them. Use the DC 10 to analyse your intentions, determine your purpose in life, to fulfil your duty and perform the actions necessary for your life. Every action has a motive, and this D10 can help you understand the motives underlying your actions. And every action has a visible and as well as an invisible result, which again the D10 can help decipher. The D10 is basically an expansion of the power of the birth chart’s 10th house.
If you want to use the D10 for predicting events then this is how you should go about it. Eg for the question ‘Will the client get a good job in the near future?’
- First is the basic birth chart, check if this chart promises a good job in the first place. For a material result to actually manifest a strong D1 is essential.
- Then the birth D 9 the Navamsha chart to see if the potential exists and the subconscious is supportive of the ‘good job’ in question. This will tell you what kind of power does the personality hold on the inside. And if the personality is able to draw on the power of the D9, then the D10 will be boosted automatically. If the Dharma is strong then the Karma too will be strengthened. Specifically look for the 10th house, lord sign and owner planet of the D1 and check if these have power and auspiciousness in the D9.
- Then open the D 10 to see how this person will go about performing the actions required for securing such a ‘good job’.
- Finally would be to check if the trigger Dasha has arrived and if the current transits in the skies support this ‘good job’. (You can use the birth D1 D9 and D 10 for an in-depth analysis of the transit influences if you are an advanced student, else stick to only D1. Do not confuse yourself)
This analysis will give you the complete answer.
This post is a guideline on how to go about the analysis of the D10.
First analyse the D 10 just as you would analyse the D1 for checking professional success.The position of the 1st (personality) 2nd (wealth accumulation) 7th (partnerships and gain)10th (aim in life and its achievement) and 11th (overall gain) and their lords is especially relevant. Also Saturn (natural 10th and 11th lord) and Venus (natural 2nd and 7th lord).
Next is to use the trikon concept to understand how the energies of the D10 actually work on the subtle levels. This is the real use of this divisional chart. Check the signs and planets placed in the trikons, if they are auspicious or malefic etc..
Dharma trikon – it indicates all that stuff that you can ‘produce’ by your actions.
- The 1st house indicates how you will be performing the activity, this may be the activities related to your profession or in your social life. How you will be using the power of your personality and the forces available in your environment to accomplish the desired activity. How you look at your profession/ social standing, your perception about the actions that you are required to perform in this life. Basically, if you are an enterprising sort or laid back or willing to lead or content to be lead etc. This house has to have power in order to succeed in a good profession and to achieve good social status.
- The 5th is the force with which you pursue the activity in question. This will tell you if you able to understand the job at hand. If you are given a project in your office are you able to comprehend what is expected of you? And sometimes there are invisible forces pushing you to perform some job, this too can be seen from the 5th house.
- And the 9th is the actual results which you gain from the activity, position, promotion, money. Often some results will be on the invisible, imperceptible, eg respect, recognition, goodwill that you earn by your actions. And sometimes this intangible result might be more useful than the tangible results that you accomplish. These actions/results are exclusive to you, they will benefit only you and not the larger collective.
Arth trikon – Generally the interplay of the 2-6-10 axis is not very obvious. Try to analyse it in depth because is the ‘meaning’ of all these actions that you perform. This trikon also indicates all the things which you can get through trade or exchange.
- The 2nd house indicates your aptitude. Do you have the necessary resources to perform your actions? The physical capacity, mental frame, disposition, tendencies etc required to perform this action. And if you will accumulate the gains you receive or will you squander them all.
- The 6th house is the karmic ties which bind. This house indicates if your actions have the capacity to bind you further. Creating new karma or resolving pending karma can be seen from here. Also on the practical level, it determines if you will be content to work as an employee.
- The 10th house is the main house under consideration in the D10. It represents the actions that you have to perform, this house is your purpose in life. You will be using the energies linked to this house in order to perform your actions. The 10th house is critical as it indicates the basic flow of actions that you are inclined to perform in this life. A strong 10th in the D 10 will ensure that your actions will be strong and more visible in in the social arena, you will be known by your actions.
Kaam trikon – This indicates all the places where you can extend your sphere of action, expand or otherwise influence.
- The 3rd house represents the intention behind your actions. Is your heart in the right place? Do your actions help resolve previous issues or are you performing actions which will create future problems for your this current life? The 3rd house represents motion, so analyse this house to know if you are performing your actions in the correct way. Actions under the influence of this house also have the potential to benefit the entire collective. The 3rd house is specifically analysed for actions leading to Moksh.
- The 7th house represents the actions which require help from someone else or some sort of a group action or a collective karma. In normal D1 it represents business partners so here it indicates the support you will need from someone else. It is important to have auspicious planets in this house. Malefic planets here can spoil the promise of the entire chart.
- The 11th house represents the final fruit of the karma you perform, karmasiddhi. Will you ultimately get what you have acted for?
Moksh trikon – This part of the chart indicate change and if the actions you perform will result in some sort of transformation.
- The 4th house represents the knowledge that you need to have in order to act in the first place. Having auspicious planets in this house ensures that you have the right knowledge for the right actions that you are to perform.
- The 8th house represents all the actions done in secret. Also the secret potential of the actions that you perform. This potential can be painful or pleasing to the mind depending on the planets involved here.
- The 12th house is the end of one’s karmic cycle for this lifetime at least. It is the release from the requirement to perform actions.
This would be a basic stand alone analysis of the D10. The D10 is the subtle stuff associated with the 10th house, so you should read it only after you have some understanding of Jyotish and human nature.
Then you overlay this D10 on your D1.
- Check where the houses 6 8 12 of the D1, the signs, planets and owner planets here. These are responsible for the turmoil in your life. Locate these planets and signs in the D10 houses. These D10 houses can be a source of problems in your path.
- Also check the houses, 1 5 9 and 4 7 10 in the D1 and the planets, planetary owners and signs. Locate these in the D10 houses. These D10 houses are will be more supportive and help you perform your actions in life.
Finally pay special attention to the following in the D10.
- Saturn indicates the sacrifices that you are willing to make in order to perform these actions. His position in the D10 can give a lot of pointers on the overall ‘karma’ factor of your life. Analysing the house/ signs he occupies, the planets/ signs he aspects will add to your understanding of the chart/ personality.
- The 10th house lord of the D10, his position and the houses/ planets he influences. Eg if you have Mars as the DC 10th house lord then he will aspect houses as per his 4th 7th 8th aspects from wherever he is placed and their interpretations too as given above will be amplified.
- Position of the Capricorn sign in the D10 and the planets which influence it. This is the natural 10th house of the chart and it should be capable of giving good results in the D10.
(The Dash amshas are ruled by the deities and if you wish to delve deeper you can note the deities which rule over the Dash amsha occupied by the ascendant lord of the D1 and the 10th house lord of the D1 and try to analyse their influences on the actions that you perform in life.)
This is a basic analysis of the birth D10 will give you a snapshot of all that different implications of the ‘actions’ that you are required to perform in this life.
I have a different question, if possible could you briefly explain about the akhanda samrajya yoga and how exactly it can be determined ? different sources have confused me … & what is your thought on such yoga’s effect in the current era ..
these sort of unusual combinations are seen only rarely.
i have not seen it in my practice.
if the yog is being formed then it will give its effect, no doubt about that.
you will have to check for the trigger dashas and transits to predict specific events linked to the yog.
thanks for this wonderful post.
Dear Tejaswini Ma’m,
Many thanks for this post. I have often reflected on my 10th house in D1,which has close conjunction of Mars Rahu Neptune in Scorpio. For the first time I checked all the amsha charts after reading this post, and found that this conjunction is always repeated in all the charts (from D2 to D40). Is this strange phenomenon pointing to some karmic significance?
Or, may be Mars is playing a key role and I need to pray to the related deity (Devi Durga)? I just feel very intrigued by this observation.
Also, Saturn, my lagna and 12th house lord in D1 is in 10th house in Capricorn in D10. He is in paap kartari of Sun and Mars, Rahu Neptune – both his staunch enemies. After reading the post in detail, and knowing 10th house saturn in capricorn indicates strong 10th house work for the person, I am taking this as a karmic signal to smoothen Mars Rahu and Saturn – by way of actions and prayers of both the planets.
Am I thinking in the right direction or missing something here?
Thanks and warm regards.