Astrology is often used for profession related questions. The 10th house is the house of profession or the Karmasthan. This house is the Zenith, the highest point, and represents the self-respect, honour and pride that you receive from others and also from your own self. It is your power to take action, marital action, your aggression directed to a purpose, ‘manliness!’, the Kshatriya-Kendra.The predominant guna/quality here is Rajoguna, the energy which pulls you towards the objects of desire in this universe and you act for acquiring these objects.The 10th house defines your profession in a broad sense. And there are some more factors. What motivates you to take up a profession? You do a job because you like it, you want to do it, maybe you have no other option, you are forced to!, you wish to earn a livelihood etc. Then, will you get the honor and wealth you desire. And are you comfortable with your job. Finally at what level will you work? A clerk or the top boss? Will you do your job diligently and sincerely?
So, when you get a question related to profession, there are a few things you should check out,
- The power of your ascendant sign and its planetary lord. Can they give to give positive results? The aspects and planetsinfluencing them. The first house is your body and your environment and the lord of the 1st is the suitability of your body to your environment and likewise.
- Then the Moon, the mind and the lens of perception. How comfortable is he and what is his power for giving results. Will you experience happiness and security in your life, the Moon will decide.
- The Sun, will decide if you get authority. Will your word be respected? What dignity will you receive in the professional field, is the Sun’s domain.
- Then benefic planets should occupy the 1st, 4th, 5th 7th, 9th and 10th(Kendra and Kona) houses as far as possible. Or at least have benefic aspects on these houses.
- Malefics are best placed in the 3rd, 6th and the 11th houses, but they should receive aspects from the benefic planets, so that they are restrained from creating conflicts.
- It is important that the benefics be more powerful than the malefics. Check out the role of the Yogkarak planets, do they elevate the horoscope?
- Now the 9th house and its owner must be strong, well-aspected and comfortable.
- The 10th house and also its owner of the 10th house are important as 10th is the actual house of the profession. Find out which planets are occupying the 10th house or if it is empty then who all are aspecting it. If no planet aspects the 10th, then analyse the owner of the 10th house.
- If there is a connection between the lords of the 1st, 9th and 10th it will give very high professional success with power and prestige.
- A connection between the lords of the 2nd and 11th houses will give excellent results in terms of gains and wealth creation.
- If there is a link between the lords of the 4th and 5th, it will grant stability, comfort, security and asset creation linked with creativity and intelligence.
- You might think that by now, you have gone through the entire chart. But you cannot examine a house in isolation. There are always patterns. You are examining the entire personality and are required to take a holistic view. E.g. You might see that your client may make good money from a profession but this may adversely impact his health, so you might advise him against taking up this particular profession.
That was the basic analysis now let’s check out the professions linked to the planets. See the planets linked to the 10th house.
Sun– Politics and subjects related to governance, diplomacy, arbitration etc and the associated leadership roles. Grants knowledge of varied subjects. Also subjects linked to vitality, e.g. medicine. Also gold, jewellery. Meditation and mind control. Music especially playing the instruments. Agriculture and animal husbandry. A well placed Sun is essential for overall success in every professional field.
Moon – All things connected with Food and Dairy. Food processing, agriculture, hotels, food linked occupations. Mind related subjects like psychology. Also happiness related things, maybe a stand-up artist, illustrator, poet etc. Being popular and famous in an approachable manner is Moon’s job. Everything related to water, sailing, ships, pearls, fishery etc. Professions linked to children and care-giving, like nursing, creches, social service etc. Meditation and spirituality linked occupations. Designing buildings and vehicles and all the subjects which require imagination.
Mercury – He is communication and speech in all forms. Analysing and maintaining databases is his forte. Media, electronic and print, journalism, reporting, posts, film making. Painter, artist, sculptor, etc. Writing books, library science, knowledge of linguistics, literature, accounts and finance. Stock markets and finance, brokers. Languages and interpretation, driving mass perception using the apt words. Trade and communication, business acumen. Mental agility, how fast can you learn a subject and how well can you express your thoughts.
Venus – beauty and balance. He is the Daitya-Guru thus will grant the same knowledge of the divine, Veds and the other scriptures. Is also linked to practical stuff like, beauty products, perfumes, designer stuff, fashion, arts of classical beauty, eye for detail, HRD, management and soft skills, he can become a politician too. People management and also education, teaching young students, counselling. All the skills needed for living a comfortable life on the aesthetic levels, interior designing, landscaping and stuff. Languages, authors, a fair critic. A lawyer.
Mars – He is the fiery planet of action. Thus technical ‘fiery’ stuff requiring raw power and logic. Engineering, military, metallurgy, arms and anything to do with complicated machinery. He understands how to logically reduce such tasks to their units and perform them. Is capable of taking dispassionate and cruel decisions. He understands power of materials and men and can use them effectively. Building and constructions are also linked to him. In depth knowledge of technical subjects, e.g a Mars+Jupiter will give you an excellect astrologer!
Jupiter – He is the Dev-Guru, thus teaches divine languages, Sanskrit, and knowledge of Ved, Vedang including astrology and other scriptures. Finance, humanitarian subjects, philosophy, teacher in Universities or an actual religious guru. He rules the power of discrimination, thus gives the ability to pick out important information, such a person can be a strategist at the highest levels in which ever field, from military to administration. Consultants, counsellors, scientists, etc who require high levels of in-depth knowledge coupled with discrimination. He shows the right path thus all the ‘guiding’ professions are linked to him.Saturn – Traditional studies and knowledge from your home culture and religion, is very orthodox, resistant to change. Saturn teaches via punishment thus is hard-core philosophy. He rules all the metals and minerals extracted from the earth. All fuels, oil, coal, petrol, and their mining. He cleans up, thus all professions which clean up i.e. drainage system, plumbing, garbage collection etc. All jobs involving hard or heavy labour or those which work with their hands. Agriculture, carpentry, blacksmith, artisans, mechanics, handicrafts, factories etc. Saturn is also very cold, thus jobs related to the cold, freezers, cold storage, ice manufacturing etc are linked to him.
Rahu – Really big machines, bombs, spies and terrorists, or a mathematician who studies abstract theory and gives no practical applications. A thief or a crime lord, a drug lord, a cheat. Rahu signifies crime in every form. Can handle poisons, dangerous chemicals, rare medicines. Does research. Has knowledge on imports (not exports), secret and occult societies, working with animal carcasses like leather. Mining and minerals extracted from below the ground, the technology and the machinery.
Ketu – A cheat who plays smoke and mirrors and vanishes. However, can also indicate a master workman working with precision machinery e.g watches. Can be a mathematician, statistician or even an astrologer especially if he is placed in the 5th house or associated with the ascendant lord or sign. And finally allows one to ‘pretend’, so can be an excellent spy or a terrorist. He can give gains through exports, spiritualism, animal trading, and dealer in bones, animal carcasses etc.
So look in to your chart and find out what is your inner self wanting to work as!