A practical post today on using the Sun aspects of the nakshatra or the Surya upagraha.
Eventually all astrologers have to learn the nakshatra and use them in their readings. If you can master any one of the Chakra, like the Ashtapadmadalachakra or especially the Sarvatobhadrachakra, you won’t even need to calculate dasha and stuff. These chakra are capable of giving both subjective as well as objective types of results.
The Sun is the source of all power. He is the specific ray which connects you to the Eternal Light. And he is considered to be malefic by nature so the nature of his results will always be kroor (post here). Even in regular life the Sun is bearable only briefly ie the early mornings and late evenings. If you go out under his light at other times of the day he will make you hot, uncomfortable, sweaty and finally give you a sun-stroke. Similarly in the horoscope the Sun’s energies are favourable only in certain positions.
This is the same concept with the Gayatri mantra. It is the light of the internal Sun. I always say that it has prachand oorja, ie a very highly humongous energy. Similarly Soham, its core strength is extremely condensed dense indescribable. Gayatri is the seed of this creation, you will know the creator through his creation. And Soham will take you directly beyond creation. In my blog I never recommend Gayatri Anushthan, that would be too much for regular householder type of people. Very few are capable of absorbing the quantum of energy generated in Anushthans. But a simple mental recitation is gentle suitable for everyone. Again do this only if you feel love, respect and faith for the Gayatri mantra in your mind. Mantras immensely magnify, highly energise and pointedly reflect back to you the intention you recite them with. This is true for any mantra you practice, do it only if you feel 100% convinced about it.
Back to the topic, the nakshatra, ie the lunar mansions, that the Sun aspect are sensitive points in the chart. These are also called the Surya Upagraha. They all give malefic results which are rough on the mind/ body. Here you have to consider 28 nakshatra in sequence including Abhijit nakshatra (post here).
1. Bhukampa upagraha is the nakshatra that the Sun occupies. Bhu means earth or the material plane and kampa is shaking violently. So anything connected to this Nakshatra will give malefic results and will manifest as an inherent instability. There will be an inherent dissonance between you and the energies of this nakshatra. Events created by this nakshtra will shake you to the core and generally cause turmoil in your life. This will be generated by personal selfishness, self-ego and an inability to consider others point of view.
2. Vidyunmukha upagraha means the mouth of electrical storms, it is the 5th nakshatra counted from the Sun. This nakshatra will give malefic results related to children, students, creative endeavours, intelligence, etc. Children are the most precious expression of the creative power and sometimes Vidyunmukha can give truly tragic results. Mental stress in personal life and wherever way you use your intelligence and genius. Remedy for the issues here is Shanti puja for the Sun himself.
3. Shool upagraha is the 8th nakshatra counted from Sun. Shool means means a pointed spear, sorrow, stabbing pain, death etc. It can cause physical harm, like accidents, surgeries and other serious trauma in life. Specifically it can cause problems to the spouse, business partner, spiritual practice, income from business etc. Remedy for this is the Shanti pujas etc for the Moon.
4. Shanipat upagraha is the 14th nakshatra from the Sun’s position. Shani is ‘slow’ and pat means ‘fall’. This indicates that danger will be huge, slow but unstoppable, will loom in the distance for some time and then arrive when you least expect it, something like an avalanche or a landslide. This is a karmic thing and cannot be completely neutralised. You will be immobilised. Acting to get out of this situation will also be difficult. Whatever this nakshatra indicates in your life, it is better to be aware of it and take corrective action in time. Remedy for this issue is the Shanti puja and other remedies for Mars
5. Ketu upagraha is the 18th nakshatra from the Sun. Its nature is nebulous, unexpectedly piercing and you may not be aware of what this nakshatra is up to even when you are going through situations created by it. Relatives from the spouse’s side will either cause problems for you or suffer because of your actions. Enemies, diseases, debts, demands for service etc are more active under the Ketu upagraha. Remedy for this issue is the Shanti puja and other remedies for Mercury.
6. Ulka upagraha is the 21st nakshatra from the Sun. Ulka means a meteor, so this nakshtra will cause small stinging incidents in your life making you miserable for extended time periods. This hits most on the finances, there will be a resource crunch. You will receive wrong advice which will get up into trouble. Your support systems, luck, peers, patrons, life philosophy etc will fail to support you. Remedy for this is Shanti puja and other remedies for Jupiter.
7. Mahakampa upagraha is the 22nd nakshatra from the Sun. Mahakampa means a very high level of violent tremors, discordant vibrations of the highest type. It gives inauspicious results, causes damage to the social standing, social prestige, public image etc. Issues in profession, disagreements with the boss and loss of job or reduction in salary. Expected gains do not materialise and you have to work hard for limited returns. there will be disagreements with your family and friends. Remedy for this issue is the Shanti puja for Saturn.
8. Varja upagraha is located in the 23rd nakshatra from Sun. Varja is something not allowed to you, something denied to you, omitted from your life. This Nakshatra causes harm in business, in spiritual practice, in partnerships, issues with spouse, separations and divorces. Relatives will cause problems or suffer problems because of your actions. It can be very inauspicious. Remedy for this issue is the Shanti puja for Venus.
9. Nirghata upagraha is located in the 24th star from Sun. This word means whirlwinds or thunderstorms. It causes all around negatively stemming from your own ill considered actions. It will encourage you to do immoral, unethical activities like cheating others etc. It can hit all aspects of life from emotional to physical, professional to personal depending on the nature of the nakshatra. Remedy for this issue is the Shanti puja for Rahu.
Their names are the names of natural disasters. So the idea is that you cannot do really much about them. This much is from the standard texts which you can simply open and read.
Now to apply these concepts to your chart. Open your chart and find out these nakshatra counting from your birth Sun nakshatra. You will get your list of 9 birth Upagraha.
Here you have to interpret the Surya upagraha in two ways,
- as per the birth position, their effects will last for a lifetime.
- from the Sun’s transit ie from his current nakshatra position in the skies. This will keep on changing every 13.2 days. (The Sun covers 1 deg per day.)
First for the birth positions. Let’s open our example chart. Aleister Crowley, 12th Oct 1875, 11: 42pm, Leamington Spa, Britain. He is dead and has a reasonably well-known life, happening on several levels, a good study subject.
So as per this birth chart,
- His Sun is in Chitra. So Bhukampa is Chitra
- Vidyunmukha is Jeyshtha
- Shool is Uttarashadha
- Shanipat Uttarabhadrapada
- Ketu Krutika
- Ulka Aradra
- Mahakampa Punarvasu
- Varja Pushya
- Nirghata Ashleysha
So the first layer of interpretation is that whatever these nakshatra mean to him in his life will be afflicted by the nature of the Surya upagraha. Try to match the keywords (post here) of the nakshatra with the qualities of the Surya upagraha as per the list above. This will mean finding out the houses in which these upagraha lie.
- eg Jeyshtha nakshatra lies in the 5th house so the energies of Vidyunmukha will be seen in some of the results derived from the 5th house.
The next layer of interpretation – find out if any of the houses are completely afflicted by the Surya upagraha. Calculate the bhav madhya, ie center of the house of each house. As we are using the simplest equal houses concept in our studies this is rather easy as each house is 30deg in width. Check if the mid-point degree of any house falls in any of these Sun’s Upagraha points.
- In our example chart the rising degree, which is the bhav madhya, central degree for the 1st house falls in the Mahakampa Sun upagraha point, subtly spoiling the significations of the 1st house.
The third layer of interpretation. Check the birth planets affected by the Surya upagraha.
- Venus is in Chitra – so the things signified by Venus will give him inauspicious effects as defined by Bhukampa. So for his lifetime, equitable love, business partnerships, profits in business etc natural significations of Venus will be afflicted by a core of instability. His personal ego will not let these endeavours succeed as they should. In this chart, Venus rules the 4th and 11th houses and sits in the 4th, so the comforts of a home, support from tradition, gain in life, company of like minded friends etc will be afflicted by Bhukampa.
- Mars is in Uttarashadha – so the results that Mars gives will have shades of Shool. Natural significations of Mars, ie actions taken with courage, bold initiatives, his siblings/ brothers etc will cause him pain and sorrow. In the chart, as the ruler of the 10th and 5th houses, sitting in the 7th house, Mars will give him piercing pain from the professional life, social life, partnerships, money will be short, children and students will disappoint etc.
- Rahu is in Uttarabhadrapada – the results that Rahu would give in life would have the flavour of Shanipat. Events triggered by Rahu will fall on his head like an avalanche and cause severe distress. Most of these will stem from his own moral turpitude, trust in unworthy people, non-support, conflicting life philosophies, trying for things which he can never have, wasted efforts, acting under illusions or delusions etc.
- And finally the ascendant degree itself is in Mahakampa – so his entire personality and the environment that he would have moved in would be under the subtle effect of Mahakampa, ie Pushya nakshatra. If you go through the life history of this man, this one reading is sufficient to describe his entire life.
Next to analyse the transits using the Sun upagraha.
Currently the Sun is in Poorvaphalguni nakshatra, so the current Surya upagraha are,
- Bhukampa is Poorvaphalguni
- Vidyunmukha is Swati
- Shool is Jeyshtha
- Shanipat Dhanishtha
- Ketu is Revati
- Ulka is Krutika
- Mahakampa is Rohini
- Varja is Mruga
- Nirghata is Aradra
So for our sample chart analysis,
1. Check if any of Crowley’s birth planets are in the transiting upagraha.
- Vidyunmukha is Swati – Swati has Jupiter in his birth chart. So temporarily the Jupiter related activities will suffer the inauspiciousness of Vidyunmukh upagraha.
- Shanipat is Dhanishtha – This nakshatra is occupied by Saturn in the birth chart so Saturn connected things in Crowley’s life will give him the Shanipat type of result temporarily.
2. Check if any transiting planets are in the Crowley’s birth upagraha.
- Currently the transiting Venus is in Chitra nakshatra. This is the Bhukampa upagraha for Crowley. So Venus related things in his life will temporarily gain the Bhukampa flavour.
3. Check if a transiting planet is occupying a transiting Upgraha. This will be common for everyone living on earth at this point of time.
- The current position of Jupiter in the skies, he is transiting in Dhanishtha. So the things connected to Jupiter in life for everyone will be subtly affected by Shanipat.
- The current Rahu is transiting in the Mahakampa upagraha. So for everyone including Crowley (if he were alive now), Rahu is causing subtle effects of the mahakampa type.
This is briefly how to make use of the Nakshatra in predictions. The birth chart analysis will give somewhat subjective results. For objective and precise results, do use the transit positions. Advanced students should ideally start their own sample charts collection and make their own observations to learn astrology systematically.
The Surya upagraha describe the nature of the results expected. This you cannot change, but you can reduce the intensity by taking the remedial actions, doing the Shanti pujas, your personal practice etc (index page). The final outcome of these results will depend on the power, nature and function of the planet affected. Finally to absorb this event and to convert it into positive growth is a function of the ascendant sign, ascendant lord and the birth Moon.
Gratitude for your posts and all the guidance. Quick question – here we would count Abhijit as star number 28 or right after Uttarashada?
abhijit is between uttarashadha and shravan
One clarification plz…
If u hv a brother/sister/relative located in say , bhukampa nakshatra ..
Do they always cause serious problems in life everyday ,every situation ?? or that relative cause problem only when sun transit that particular nakshatra..
Even other planets also have aspects affecting other nakshatra , upagraha etc
Is there a concept which explains the ill effects of other planet’s aspects using ashtapadmadala chakra ..
One technique cannot explain all the interactions tht one has with others. Thts why there are so many of them.
Among the chakras the sarvatobhadra chakra is considered to be the trailokya deepak, but then again every chakra has its typical uses. It depends on the question
Apologies. Another add-on question. What if the sun is in the Abhijit nakshatra? Do we count from Ashvini then? Thank you in advance for your time. Gratitude.
Why frm ashwini?
Thank you much for this thought provoking post Tejaswini ji🙏
Besides one’s own chart, can we also expect similar trends (results) in dealings with people with moon nakshatra in any of these 9 categories, in your immediate family/circle?
Harih Om 🙏
eg an old school friend is vidyunmukh nak. he wanted me to do readings for him. then he quarrelled with me as he found the truth too hard to absorb and thought the remedies to be unnecessary. after this we lost touch. later common friends told me that his life had gone down badly.
eg one of my cousins has his janma nakshatra as my ulka nakshatra. i love him but we can never get along, the thought processes are diametrically opposite, misunderstandings keep happening etc.
eg my mom was vidyunmukh nak, here too the impact was very much there. and i am my moms shool nak, am sure she felt disappointed in me in several ways.
love exists but the planets and nakshatras always show their impact. the sensible way with close family members is to ignore the things which we do not agree on and to focus on the common points where we do agree on, else life will be miserable.
my own asc nak is in ulka. one eg of this. i have observed that people take money from me which they rarely return, and i do not think twice before giving it to them. i think till now i must have spent 1+ Cr on things for others. this started in my school days where my friends would ask me money to buy small things from the canteen. this trend continued till my early 40s. finally Rahu/Ketu allowed me to become aware of what was happening. then i could consciously stop.
yes the surya upgraha have a deep impact on our lives which initially can be difficult to pinpoint. but once you become aware of them you never forget
Many thanks for the illustrative response 🙏🙏 my spouse & son (moon nakshatra) belong to a couple of these categories & hence was the question 😃
LikeLiked by 1 person
Is there no remedy for Bhukampa Upagraha?
its the birth sun position, so all sun related remedies will apply.
Thank you! After one does shanti puja/remedies etc., will the horoscope reflect changes? I understand changes will be seen in the palms. How does an astrologer know that a particular remedy for a placement/dosha has been already done from a horoscope?
Ask a prashna
If birth & transiting upagrahas happen to coincide, will this transit activate all the planets present here or what is the result ?
sun transiting over the birth sun is a burst of energy over the birth position.
this would be your birthday, (13days around it) as per the solar year, that is the reason we do pujas on the birthday to alleviate the possible problems.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Generally which puja would you recommend on birthday?
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you for sharing your experience. Can surya upagraha be used in checking moon compatibility during match making?
I’m not exactly/clearly able to connect with the keywords of vidyunmuk upagraha and the kind of experiences you’d shared.
No need. Moon nakshatra and the other things like longevity luck social standing family etc is generally sufficient. Wrote a post on chart matching.
And do u expect me to give events in detail frm my personal life where i and my loved ones have had issues? It was a brief answer to a specific question.
If u feel it is important then study it fr urself or don’t. It doesn’t matter to me either way.
Several patterns either reinforce or mitigate each other, only then does the final event occur. And Surya upagraha also give their effects in this.
LikeLiked by 1 person
In Kp system when I was checking my chart the entire planetary positions had shifted behind…I was not aware that ther would be this difference between kp and vedic astrology.
Which one of the system should we follow mam..kindly guide mam
this blog is parashari.
don’t mix parashari and kp
LikeLiked by 1 person
What’s the best source/ book for birth time correction using the palmistry technique , that you have mentioned in an earlier post ?
Thanks a lot !
Do we consider 5th nakshatra from surya taking the surya nakshatra as first one or the next nakshatra from surya as first
LikeLiked by 1 person
The sign/nakshatra occupied by the planet is counted as 1
How are you? After reading several of your posts on gayatri, I decided to try it out for myself. I used a simple method of chanting: one OM before the recitation (I did it mentally while inhaling), recitation of the mantra out loud, one OM while inhaling, and again – chanting it out loud. I have done several sadhanas in the past, and among other effects, most mantras that I have done increased energy and clarity of mind. Gayatri makes me sleepy. It doesn’t matter if I chant in the
morning, noon, or evening. The effect is the same. There are other effects as well. For example, my mind calms down. It is also easier for me to remain unaffected in challenging situations. Still, the drowsiness and deep state of relaxation are a nuisance, especially at work. I decided to test my
subjective experience, and I did it only right before going to bed. I compared the quality and length of sleep. The quality? I don’t remember the last time I slept like that! The length? One to two hours
longer on average and more regenerating sleep. Do you have any idea what may be the problem here? Why do I react to this mantra like that?
Its relaxing ur body. Its not ‘sleep’ it’s something else.
I don’t see an issue with it.
Eg i never sang lullabies to my son . I always recited the vishnu sahastranama or the ram raksha fr him to sleep to.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Actually, it is a pleasant state. I wouldn’t see an issue with it, either, if I didn’t have to work. What do you mean by “it is something else”? What is it?
All of the sadhanas I have done had strict rules I had to follow. I noticed that other than not doing gayatri when a woman is on her period you haven’t mentioned any of such requirements. I would like to recommend gayatri to other people in my social circle, especially as a remedy for the upcoming difficult time. Are there any rules that people must follow when doing it or can it be recommended to anyone independently of their lifestyle, as long as they have faith in the Absolute and willingness to do it? Basically, will there be any negative consequences for people who do not stick to certain rules when chanting gayatri? If yes, what are those rules?
Monthly cycle and pregnancy are the times where the woman’s body is working very hard and she needs rest. Also till the baby is 6 mths old at least.
Doing intensive sadhana requires effort. And u r manipulating the body’s energy. Chances of damaging urself and ur child are very high during this time.
Householder level people are anyways incapable of doing tht level sadhana of any mantra.
Gayatri in its real form is the fire of the internal Sun. Eg Can u imagine holding the Suns orb in ur hand and drinking it? Feeling it enter every pore of ur being till u urself are blazing with the fire of a billion Suns. And also firmly controlling that fire. That is what the Gayatri really is.
Never underestimate it.
Reciting it a few times in the day is fine as long as they have genuine love respect faith/ shraddha fr it. Think of it as a loving parent and u a child in its arms.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Even I feel very relaxed after chanting mantras. There have been times when I was aware and in a deep state and lost track of the count & I would begin all over again. It feels like I am sleepy, but I know it is a meditative state because it is akin to the state I experience when I meditate. However, I can come out of it after completing my chanting and saying my thanks to God. I feel very fresh & most times it feels as if my vision is clearer.
The mantras take you to a deeper level. You have to train your mind to not fall asleep but instead stay aware…. i.e. if you are not doing it with intent to get a good sleep.
So essentially anyone who gets to experience a Surya mahadasha would have flavours of bhukampa.
When I go through charts of my aunts and uncles ,the ones who have gone through Surya mahadasha, either it’s gone really good or really bad..it’s almost polarised. Perhaps individual strength of sun , relationship with lagna ,Moon etc and other factors cause this change.
But obviously a chart with a good sun,moon and lagna would tolerate their Surya mahadasha much better?
In the limited charts I have seen,a stronger Surya mahadasha lead to elevated sense of self whereas a weaker Dasha lead to fall from Grace or lack of importance/ say, in situations.
Yes. U r right.
The shorter MD esp ketu sun mars are very high powered and fast moving energies.
These 3 r highly personal type of energy and yes they polarise.
Keep doing ur own observations
Mam, can you please post your views and knowledge on people born on full moon.
Thankyou for that wonderful tip to recite 108 time manthra on a gold bangle, helped me a lot and only now I realise the full effect…Thankyou 🙏and I was forced to get a new one around that time also since the old one brokeup..🙏
Madam Iam getting distrubing feeling if I listen to vishnu Sahasranamam or Shiva slokas and any other god Slokas, while doing soham. Iam only feeling pleasant while listening Lalitha Sahasranamam or devi mahatmyam,Sri suktam,Gayatri recite etc.
Many thanks for this illuminating post🙏🏻♥️ I learnt many things new🙏🏻🙂
You have suggested different remedies for different upagraha. How often these remedies have to be done if it is in one’s birth chart? Once in a year or more than once?
Secondly, does the Navagraha homa alleviate the effects of the Sun’s aspects on Nakshatras? If yes, can it be done instead of Shanti Puja?
Thanks in advance🙏🏻
Lots of love and gratitude
Wrote somewhere on doing daana
Those same times ie significant transits birthdays dasha entry point etc
Pranam Tejaswini Mam 🙏🏻
I wanna say something to you kindly read when you free.. 🙏🏻
I started reading your articles since a month (not from this account)
How could you know about me so precisely ? 🤔🧐🧐🤔
What you said about cancer ascendent is so so so so true.. 🙏🏻
Before I came here I used to be so restless. I didn’t know why I’m like this.. 😐
Being a 31 years girl still don’t care about myself much (looks, make up, environment) I came to know after I read lagna ketu article of yours.. and your tips for asc ketu is really so applicable 👌🏻since I already started playing with colours and decorating my room with my colourful sketches..🎨🎨
And sun in 4 and 10th houses article is so so so touched me as I have that in my horoscope..
And almost kala sarpa dosha article is so so so so commandable and applicable in my life..
This 👆🏻is really playing with me very smartly 🙆🏻♀️ first it took all my confidence by snatching all my materialistic achievement ways..
I asked astrologers why this happened, all are saying different opinions and I started knowing myself through planets..
And its still continuing.. ✨
Now I’m trying to connect all the dots of my life through your insightful articles and it making me fall in love with myself very deeply..💗 earlier if anything attracted me I usually adore it and forget myself in that process.. but first time in my life you only made me realize my value and fell in love with myself completely 🙏🏻 🙏🏻💗🙏🏻🙏🏻
First day when I read your one of the articles when you said your blog is completely ✨ Satvik ✨ I thought for a second like how could that possible in this century.. 🤔 but within few days I witnessed unbelievable tremendous Satvik devine energy from this blog.. 🔥🔥
You know how Mam ?
It made me stop eating non – veg completely.. I can firmly say I never go for non veg food in this life.. actually I really really didn’t have this potential to abstain from non veg earlier.. but now it happened so naturally through this devine platform.. 🥳🙏🏻
Your blog is really 200% satvik 🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻
I’m unable to frame words🤦🏻♀️ to express what you are doing to me with your fascinating, eye opening and devine knowledge.. forgive me.. 🙏🏻
Daily listening Sri suktam and Gayatri mantra as you said.. it making me so calm.. I know you don’t take any credit and say like it’s all your 9th house credit.. you are such a sweet heart !!💗🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻
I never ever expected that I can get athentic answers which make me dwell in joy even I have plenty of problems still..
You seem like an ANGEL ✨ you are an incredible incarnation of the Universe.. 🔥 touching your feet and bowing down to you.. 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻
Kudos to your Sankalp Siddhi for starting this blog and enlightening many souls..✨✨
You are such a pride for your parents, husband, ancestors, gurus and for entire India 🇮🇳 🙏🏻🙏🏻
I must say this before conclude Mam, sometimes your articles warns me, sometimes pampers me, sometimes gives healthy fear and start some Sadana and sometimes makes me strong.. I find all emotions here.. only devine souls can do this magic with their PURE INTENTIONS 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥 you are like Mother India no no you are not limited to India ✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨you are actually MOTHER EARTH!
Finally, Thank you for making me realize that SPIRITUALITY IS PRACTICE 🔥 🙌🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻
If I said anything wrong kindly forgive me and it seems a big lengthy sorry.. but feeling like still I couldn’t express well what I meant…😅
Lots of love and gratitude Angelic Mother Earth 💗💗💗🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻
LikeLiked by 1 person
its really very sweet of you to say all this for me, thank you 😊 but remember that this is all your own doing, you are your own Guru, 9th house, divinity, everything, you are the center of your universe. focus on your Self and everything will fall into its correct place, life will be beautiful, inside out.
LikeLiked by 1 person
I completely resonate with the many comments above Madam. Thanks to the other readers for expressing what I sincerely respect and feel about this knowledge portal. Each post in this knowledge portal is an eye opener Madam. Madam we really dont know how to thank you. Please accept my humble Pranaam.