Om, Bhuh Bhuvah Swah, Om Tat Savitur Varenyam, Bhargo Devasya Dheemahi, Dhiyo Yo nah Prachodayat, Om.
ॐ भूः भुवः स्वः । ॐ तत्सवितुर्वरेण्यम । भर्गो देवस्य धीमहि। धियो यो नः प्रचोदयात॥ ॐ
This is the form of Gayatri Mantra that I use for my jaap. The basic form of the mantra can be used in different ways for manifesting different things. This form is used by sadhaks/ aspirants of the spiritual path, who desire ultimate Illumination. Gayatri is like the Kalp-Vriksh/ the wish fulfilling tree, whatever you desire, it will manifest. You can add other specific beej mantras before and after it (samputit) if your Guru has told you to do so.
Gayatri Mantra is formally mentioned in the Rg ved 10:16:3. But it is embedded in the fabric of the Universe itself. In fact if you do your Dhyan long enough, you can hear it. (You first hear your chakras making their individual sounds, often mistaken as ‘ringing of the ears’).
I dont think most Hindus (Sanatan Dharma followers) even know the full form of the mantra which is this ॐ भूः ॐ भुवः ॐ स्वःॐ महः ॐ जनः ॐ तपः ॐ गुं सत्यम । ॐ तत्सवितुर्वरेण्यम । भर्गो देवस्य धीमहि। धियो यो नः प्रचोदयात ।ॐ आपोज्योति रसोमृतं ब्रह्म भूर्भुवः स्वरोम ॥ However this is not for those who live the householder’s life, it is used by sanyasis and genuine sadhaks, its effects are very intense and pull very strongly.
There are several ways in which this mantra can be understood. But the truest experience is when the energies get linked as below. As always Mantras depend on your Intention and Will. Just like using a hammer on a nail, if you swing it with full force and focus you will finish your work faster. Mantras are the tools, the hammers, it is now upto you, how you want to use them. Now,
- First all the energies of all the manifested planes of existences are linked to the energies of the Om-the ultimate. All the forms of ‘space/dimensions’ are linked to Om. ( ॐ भूः ॐ भुवः ॐ स्वःॐ महः ॐ जनः ॐ तपः ॐ गुं सत्यम or ॐ भूः भुवः स्वः as per the form you are using)
- The pranav mantra Om, is the real nature of reality and your true name.
- The 7 Vyrhutis are the names and the purest descriptions of the planes of existence.
- Then the energies of the present Moment, the past/present/future/parallel existences are invoked and thus ‘time’ in all its ways is linked to Om. (ॐ तत्) In reality there is just this one Moment. All spiritual texts and philosophies always stress on the importance of being in the present Moment.
- This Akshar grants Success.
- The conscious energies of the inner sun, the seed of the illumination, the ultimate which is seen at your third eye are described (सवितुः). When you utter this Mantra you can feel the Ultimate looking back at you.
- The Akshar of this word grant bravery, balance and overall well-being.
- Then वरेण्यम, here you express your desire, your wish, for the experience, the intelligence and understanding of that Supreme Bliss. You want to experience It so deeply so as to become It.
- The Akshar of this word grant union with yourself, deep love, all forms of prosperity and brilliance.
- The illumination seen during mediation is so beyond description that it is simply expressed as भर्गः, the splendour, radiance, effulgence and glory of the Self that can be only experienced. This experience is so powerful that all karma, all baggage, all doubts vanish as if they never existed in the first place.
- These Akshar of this word protect, defend and confer intelligence.
- Now देवस्य , this means ‘of the Light’, and is of the light of the internal Sun. Here the intention is that, may the ‘one who grants wishes’ give skill, fortune, ability, solidarity, solitude etc so that the ultimate destination of the soul can be achieved.
- These Akshar of देवस्य grant self-restraint and control along with devotion and the power to retain what will be granted.
- धीमहि is a verb in the present imperfect tense. धी/ Dhi is Intelligence. Here this word indicates that Intelligence is never a stagnant closed end, it is in continuous motion even if it is in the present Moment. You are asking the Supreme to grant you that ever-evolving Intelligence of the present Moment. You are asking for the pure essence of Intelligence.
- These Akshar of this word grant the fortitude necessary to learn how to control pran, and later the power to control the vital energies/pran.
- धियो is related to the perfection of the thoughts and the mental processes. This word also refers to the purity and the highest levels of the flame of light.
- This Akshar and this word’s energy is linked to the Jagruti state and also means awakening and sight, seeing everything.
- यो is most desirable and perfect action and also refers again to the present ‘This’.
- This Akshar produces action.
- नः represents the ultimate creative energy and also the power to accept and receive Infinity. It allows the seeker to focus on the infinite, thus become infinite himself.
- This Akshar is the ability to taste sweetness.
- प्रचोदयात is to incite, inspire, urge, demand, excite, summon, proclaim, request, impel. In short you are asking the Divine to by any means of action make all this as above experience.
- The Akshar of this word indicate the ideal, the courage, the wisdom and gain/fruit.
So with this very brief background of the Gayatri Mantra, here is the answer to a question I received on ‘Ojas’.
Our Sanskrit has layers of meanings. See, the human physical body is composed of 3 types of ‘tendencies’/prakriti, Kapha, Pitta and Vaat. These tendencies and their balance/imbalance lead to the physical health or illness in the body, all this is a part of Ayurved. Ayurved also discusses the food that we eat. (I would recommend books by Dr.Vasant Lad on this topic.) So when these 3 ‘tendencies’ of the body reach their perfect balance they get converted to their energy components called Ojas, Tejas and Varchas (brilliance, vigour and vitality). The easiest way to increase Ojas is to eat 10 almonds with milk with one spoon pure ghee made from desi cow milk everyday. If you feel like it do it for 21 days and see for yourself.
Now, the second part of the question, the body uses this Ojas to generate reproductive cells in both men and women. This requires tremendous amounts of Ojas. The ‘vitality’ of the food you eat is first allocated to this production. As you do your sadhana, Dhyan, pranayam etc regularly your physical body responds by shutting this down, it does not waste Ojas in building ova and sperm. If you have started your Sadhana early in life, (brahmins – boys start at the age of 6yrs, and women after the age of 16yrs), women will get menopause very early at 35-40yrs of age and in men too the sperm production will get suppressed. This is the meaning of converting ‘sexual’ energy to Ojas. I had mentioned earlier that there are a few on the fast-track to spirituality, they finish everything fast.
If you have read my other posts on astrology, I have repeatedly said that the 5th house represents creativity and divine intelligence, this can be in the gross form or in the subtle form. If you analyse the charts of the real spiritual Gurus (not the media-hungry fashion icon ‘gurus’), you will find an extraordinary 5th house. The energy of this house is being used to channelise the Divine not the mundane. If you use the power of the 5th to channelise your spiritual growth your physical reproductive creativity will soon shut down. If you start very early in life you might even take Sanyas and leave this materialistic world. If you start in your middle age, you might continue living a householders life outwardly but you will not indulge in physical relations anymore. And even if you have produced your children by then, your real children will be the children of your soul not of your DNA.
So what has this got to do with the Gayatri? The Gayatri has the potential to create how much ever Ojas, Tejas and Varchas you want. It balances everything, your body, your mind, your emotions and finally shows your your Soul.
A bit on the practical side, the Gayatri mantra that I have mentioned at the start of the post, has 3 Om’s.
ॐ भूः भुवः स्वः । ॐ तत्सवितुर्वरेण्यम । भर्गो देवस्य धीमहि। धियो यो नः प्रचोदयात॥ This much you will recite 1/3/27/54 or best would be 108 times and end the entire jaap with a final ॐ.
Every Jaap must start and end with Om. You are encasing the energy of the mantra in Om, making it samputit with Om, increasing its Satvik qualities. OM is the pranav-mantra, the king of all mantra, the origin of all creation and also the route to its dissolution, ie Moksh.
In this mantra the भूः भुवः स्वः is the three Vhyrutis, at the simplest these are the three planes of existence, Bhuh, Bhuvah, Swah.
ॐ तत्सवितुर्वरेण्यम । भर्गो देवस्य धीमहि। धियो यो नः प्रचोदयात् । is the body of the Gayatri. We add an Om here to make the mantra fit the Gayatri Chhand. As you know the Chhand, ie the meter of prosody are the key to reciting mantra. Gayatri chhand has 8 syllables in 3 rows. So the mantra has to have twenty-four akshar ie chaturvimshatyakshar, arranged in three lines ie tripaad and each paad having eight akshar ie ashtaaksharatmakapaad. So this is how the akshar would be written in the 8×3=24 format.
- Om tat sa vi tuh va ren yam
- bhar go de va sya dhi ma hi
- dhi yo yo nah pra cho da yat
- ॐ तत् स वि तुः व रेण् यं
- भर् गो दे वस् य धी म हि
- धि यः यो नः प्र चो द यात्
So in my personal experience, this form of Gayatri is most suitable for recitation. This is the adiomkarsahitashtakshar Gayatri mantra.
Gayatri mantra is very sublime and there are several ways of using it, ie an entire Gayatri tantra is written on its use, several reference books, several Rishis have written on it. It is the Ved-mata, the creator of the universe itself. The light of the internal Sun, it has the energy of the entire creation embedded in it.
And the best for the last, this is the Ghanapath and the full form of the Gayatri Mantra. Close your eyes and listen to it, let it’s rhythm enter your soul.
Hello, can you please write something on overcoming guilt due to our own negative Karma’s (unintentional) and bad decisions made in life. How to overcome extreme anxiety and curses of people, psychic attacks. What mantra or action will help overcome the past and release the karmic connections with certain people. And is there any way where you can understand the past karmic relationship with certain individuals or individual which will help in neutrilising the Karma’s In this lifetime rather than taking it ahead. Thanks.
guilt is a indication that the Moon is being affected by Saturn, if this has happened in recent times, then could be a transit effect, temporary aspects of Saturn on your birth moon..shud clear up as the aspect changes
if it has always been there then its possibly its in your birth chart, should clear up after Saturn matures
bad decisions, possible afflictions to Gemini or 3rd house connected things,
anxiety – virgo or the 6th house things are unbalanced
So the planets to look out for are Moon Mercury Saturn, or any planets connected to 3/ 6th houses or Gemini Virgo. You can recite their mantras 1/3/108 times on their days. If you find the mantras too complicated, a simple “OM Budhaya namah’ type of mantra also works well..
I dont think anyone has the power to curse just like that in this modern world. Black magic is possible. I hve written posts on how to deal with these type of things.. Check out where your rahu/ketu are sitting in your birth chart, esp Ketu is ghosts, Rahu is black magic, eg Ketu in 4th house invariably gives ghostly phenomenon in the residence. if its always been there look into your birth chart,
if its happening in recent times, check out their transits, esp if they are affecting your birth asc sign, asc lord, moon.
one easy way is to recite the Ramraksha and go around your house with a agarbatti in your hand, on saturday/tuesday/amavasya evening twilight. Do it when you have time. you can play the ramraksha if you do not know it. It works very well. (Hindi-Hanuman chalisa or Marathi-Maruti stotra by Samarth Ramdas is also an option if you prefer)
you can understand the karmic connect by looking at the placements of Rahu/Ketu in your and the other person’s chart. but in my opinion this has rather limited practical use, what will you do knowing that?
if in this life you have hurt someone, the logical thing is to go apologise and offer to make up in some way.
Be genuine, even if you have to put aside your self-ego, do it. If despite your genuine apologies that person does not forgive, it becomes his karma. Then you go to your deity’s temple and tell him your story in your mind, offer him some flowers etc and leave all the hurt etc everything there.
If that person is dead, go to your favourite deity’s temple and tell him the entire story. Request forgiveness. As the person is dead, you can appeal to his higher self in front of your deity, in the temple. Then offer something appropriate to the deity, flowers or sweets or anything, and leave everything in his feet. You are free.
If you are very disturbed by guilt you can do actual charity by giving food/sweets to an old age home, only if you can afford.
Feeding an Desi Indian cow, it should have a hump on its back, is also an option. Depending on where you live, there may not be such cows. Feeding a hybrid cow does not work.
If you have some leave coming up, take a vacation to some place full of natural energy, sea-shores or mountains, it helps..
and finally do some proper dhyan, 30 mins, once a day? once a week? but do it, it will still the mind. The mind’s chattering tires us not the situation, thinking in loops around the same subject in various permutations and combinations! and the 108 breaths of the mantra are considered to be 108 lives, the karmas are actually burnt during these 108 mantra breathing.. try it..
LikeLiked by 2 people
There is a method of pranayam in which breathing in, holding and breathing out is maintained for 1:4:2 time. For eg if breathing in for 10 seconds then hold for 40 seconds and breathe out for 20 seconds. While doing this you have to chant gayatri mantra (full form that you have mentioned).
I used to do this…
You have a unique understanding. I really want to know it’s correct way of doing, it’s significance in your words. Also is there any specific instance where this should not be done?
there are several ways of pranayam and saying mantras between the intervening Kumbhaks, a lot of ways and a lot of mantras are used,
as you mentioned you are already doing it, and with the gayatri mantra, so i suppose you have been told by someone to do it,
if there is some doubt, do ask the person who told you to practice this, it is not right tht i comment on this
Nobody told me to do this. Even nobody told me to read Bhagavad-Gita. I am on my own on my spiritual journey.
Somewhere I feel that there is something I am not aware about, that’s why need your guidance.
if you are man then there are no restrictions on any personal spiritual practice, it should be done regularly
if you are a woman , then do not work with your pran on the 5 days of the monthly cycle and if you are pregnant
other than this there are no restrictions on personal spiritual practice.
ie where you focus on your breath, focus on ur third eye and use a mantra to generate energy. this practice cleans out the body’s nadis including the sushumna naadi,
for outer religious practices, the principles of Sutak and Naatak apply for both men and women. and for women the 5days a month thing also applies
if you use the search bar or the index page you can find more posts on these topics, if you wish to read
LikeLiked by 1 person