Eclipses are important astronomical events where the Lunar nodes intersect the apparent position of the Sun or the Moon in the sky. Rahu or Ketu occult the luminaries and obscure their light. These events are important for those who are actively engaged in spiritual practice and if you do any Mantra-Jaap or energy ritual during this period it will be successful/ accomplished (Siddh). Eclipses release a significant chunk of energy which if not utilised mindfully, will cause temporary imbalances in your life.
Eclipses can occur in clusters, often a lunar eclipse will be followed immediately by a solar eclipse and 2-3 eclipses can occur one after the other within a span of 2-3 months. In such cases the effects of the eclipse energies will continue for extended periods.
Solar eclipses are always more powerful than Lunar ones. During the Solar eclipses, the Moon’s energies are already absent, it is an Amavasya, a no-moon night, already bursting with energy. A solar eclipse is when the Moon comes exactly between the Earth and the Sun. A partial solar eclipse occurs in the polar regions of the Earth when the center of the Moon’s shadow misses the Earth. If all three are aligned perfectly it then becomes a complete solar eclipse. The energies are more intense if you are within the eclipse zone. Eclipses occurring elsewhere do not influence you so much. A complete eclipse obviously releases more energy than a partial one.
Here is how you ascertain the effect of a solar eclipse (or even lunar eclipse) on your horoscope. Find out the Ascendant sign, Moon sign and Sun sign of your personal horoscope. (Vedic/ Indian software)
- The ascendant sign indicates your physical and manifested reality.
- The Moon sign represents your sub-conscious, astral self, your emotions and psychological effects.
- The Sun sign will represent your personal ego, creativity, divine inspiration etc.
Find out the sign in which the current Sun in transit is in the sky. i.e. the sign of the zodiac in which the eclipse is due to occur.
- Now count from your ascendant sign till this Sun’s current transit sign to get the effect on your physical environment
- Count from your birth Moon sign to this sign in which the eclipse is occurring to get the effect on your mind and emotions.
- Count from your birth Sun sign to this sign which will have the eclipse to get the effect on your overall well-being.
Two special cases here, Cancer and Leo signs owned by the luminaries. Wherever they are placed in your birth horoscope, those aspects of your life will be affected. eg if your ascendant sign is Libra, your Cancer will be the 10th house so expect turbulence in your work and social activities. Then the Leo will be in the 11th house so expect sudden changes in your financial gains.
Sun rules Leo, so for some time before and after a solar eclipse, Leo sign suffers. Depending on which aspects of your life it represents, you may be suddenly depressed, lack vitality, health may suffer, sudden losses in financial transactions, insomnia, lack of mental peace, quarrels etc. If Leo is in the Ascendant /Moon /Sun sign you will feel even worse. You will regain your energy a few days after the eclipse, however it is best to be careful for at least a fortnight.
Moon owns Cancer. So if your birth Moon sign or ascendant sign is Cancer you might be even worse off. Cancer borns are closely linked to the Moon transits and in addition feel the effects of the no-moon/Amavasya and full-moon/ Pournima more intensely. You have to be careful. If Cancer is in the Ascendant or Moon sign in your horoscope take special care of your physical body, immediate environment, do not engage in dangerous sports, be careful around ‘liquids’, e.g. blood related conditions, do not go for swimming, refrain from over intake of alcohol, etc around eclipses. If its is your birth Moon sign then you will feel the emotional effects, your astral body bears the brunt. Sleep might be affected, disturbed dreams and astral travel can make it difficult for you. I have observed that Cancer-Sun’s are also affected to some extent.
If the eclipse is occurring in the actual sign in your Ascendant/ Moon/ Sun house or in the house diametrically opposite from this, here are some general indications, (1st and 7th axis). An eclipse in the 1st-7th axis can also cause death depending on the individual horoscope.
- An eclipse in the actual house involves your personality and your environment. If Rahu is placed here you will over-do the things associated with your own self, unnecessary risky activities getting you into trouble. So try to remain balanced and act logically. If Ketu is here then you will ignore things which are actually important to you and thus get into trouble. Try to focus even if you don’t feel like, go through things twice so that you don’t make avoidable mistakes.
- Eclipses in the house opposite will affect your legal partnerships, marriage and businesses. Again depending on if it is Rahu or Ketu influencing this house you will feel your legal partner’s behaviour changing temporarily. He might try to over-whelm, dominate, cheat you or get disinterested and temporarily break up with you. Finances may be affected. Either way remember that the eclipse effects are temporary, so you should not overreact and make the situation worse.
An eclipse in the 2nd-8th axis. Just a few lines to help trigger your own thought process.
- Eclipse occurring in the 2nd house can cause financial difficulties or wind-falls. Separation from the families or intense family times. It can also time the death event so should avoid taking unnecessary risks. There will be scope for increasing social visibility depending on if Rahu/Ketu gets placed here. Rahu is attraction and Ketu is apathy. So in the couple of weeks before and after the eclipse be careful of your financial situation do not take risks on this front.
- Eclipses in the eighth house can cause accidents, surgeries, healings or death. These are intense energies and the 8th called the ‘Randhra’, this means a vulnerable or assailable point. Anything connected to the 8th becomes your vulnerable point. Or a point of vulnerability which you can sense on others and use. You might benefit by deaths of others or secrets of others. Hidden opportunities might be made available to you but do refer to your conscience before actually taking advantage of these. You might gain or lose but on a very intense scale.
Eclipse in your chart’s 3-9 axis.
- The 3rd house is the choices which are available to you in life. If Rahu – eclipse is in your 3rd house you might see options in life opening up and you might be tempted to take more risks here. Speculations might give short term gains so take care to capitalise on the few weeks of eclipse energy. If it were Ketu-eclipse in the 3rd your interactions in the neighbourhood and extended family can cause issues. So be alert and nip things in the bud before they erupt.
- An eclipse in the 9th house can cause turmoil in the life-foundation. This can be a crisis in the spiritual life which will open more options for you in your inner philosophical development. You might suddenly get very overtly religious or shun religion altogether. You opinions and understanding of what is good/bad, moral/immoral will be shaken up and questioned. Ancestral debts, spirits may come up and you might be required to pay them.
Eclipse energy in the 4th and 10th house axis can release a lot of useable energy if you harness it well, else the potential problems can be quite bad.
- The 4th is connected to emotional and physical security. All eclipse events always affect your sense of comfort. You are forced out of your comfort zone, as unpleasant and heavy energies are triggered around you. There may be a crisis in your home, your mother, lands, properties. Vehicles can be affected do not take risks while driving. You might buy or sell some of the things which provide you with emotional/physical security.
- An eclipse in the 10th house can give gains on the social front, you might be recognised for your work, maybe a bonus. Here Rahu and Ketu both can give good results if Saturn or the 10th house owner is well placed.
Eclipse energies in the 5th and 11th houses can confer rare opportunities to showcase your genuis.
- If Rahu is occulting in the 5th house, you might be impelled to put yourself in the public eye, to express your creativity, glamour and glitz. Gambling and similarly high risk activities will attract. However you should remember that the window of opportunity will be short so make the most of it, know when to stop. Try to not break too many rules. Ketu if occulting in the 5th can cause initial gains but then this can turn to sudden failures because of disinterest. However gains on the spiritual front are quite possible.
- Eclipses in the 11th house will bring you in the focus of everyone who knows you in some way or the other. You will gain material stuff if Rahu is active here, gains of every sort. You can do more as you are given more freedom. Ketu here can give short term gains of high magnitude. So if you have an eclipse on the 5th/11th axis of your birth chart, be ready to take advantage of the opportunities which will turn up.
Eclipse energy in the 6th-12th axis. This is the most sensitive axis of your horoscope. Karma overload and demands for service. Health should be carefully monitored during the weeks before and after an intense eclipse in the 6th -12th axis of your birth chart.
- The 6th house is the karma you have chosen to rebalance in this life. You are very sensitive here as imbalance reigns here. Ghosts from your past, disease, debts, enemies will be brought into the foreground. You might fall more ill or might recover from some long standing illness. This will depend on your own horoscope and if it was Rahu/ Ketu placed in that house during the eclipse.
- The 12th house is loss of the physical and gain of the astral. You will suffer some pain, sleep and rest will be affected. Disturbances in dreams astral travel etc is all possible. Life threatening incidents are possible.
So if there are eclipses around, do some spiritual practice or some mantra-jaap of Rahu/ Ketu and the Sun/ Moon. Use the energies of the eclipse, a huge chunk of energy is literally exploding across the skies during this period. If you do not channelise this energy properly with your conscious intentions it can cause disturbances in your life. Eclipses occur very rarely so why this emphasis on them? That is because these events release humongous amounts of energies in a very short span of time, hours. If you use them actively, you can catapult yourself to such unimaginable heights.