In a horoscope the Sun is the source of divine intelligence. Just as in the solar system, the Sun is the source of all the energy that powers the chart. The Will! This post is about this radiant Ruler of the horoscope, Surya. He owns the sign Leo/Simha, the 5th. Thus he is the natural ruler of the 5th house of the horoscope. Irrespective of the actual sign occupying the 5th house in a chart, the Sun and his sign Leo will always have a subtle influence on the matters of the 5th house.
Astrology says, the Sun is the soul of Kalapurusha (the person who is ‘Time’), the Moon is his mind, Mars is his vitality, Mercury is his speech, Jupiter is his knowledge and happiness, Venus is his sexual love and relations and Saturn is his work and misery.
Sun’s friends are the Moon, Mars and Jupiter. In Cancer he loves the patriotism and enjoys working for the interest of his homeland. Also a paternal figure, he likes providing security and stability to those who ‘belong’ to him. In pioneering active Aries, his independence and confidence is enhanced and in Scorpio he loves the penetration, exploration and discovery. In Sagittarius he loves philosophising, channeling the divine truths and being the center stage of religious ceremonies. And in Pisces too, he has the opportunity to cast his radiance in the uncharted domains of the sub-conscious and astral.
He considers Venus and Saturn to be his enemies. If the Sun in the horoscope is under their influence in any way, either conjoint or aspected by them or in their actual sign or natural house then his self-confidence is reduced. Venus interferes by offering him material pleasures and Saturn interferes by giving him too much material karmic work. In Taurus he is reduced to thinking of money and assets to be everything, and in Libra he uses his divine intelligence only for the pleasures of his partner. His personal will is highly reduced and putty in the hands of his karmic partnerships. He considers the adolescent Mercury to be a neutral force.
The Sun is most comfortable, exalted in the environment of Aries and most out of place, debilitated in Libra the house of Venus, read more about it here. Thus he is generally productive in the 1st house of the chart and quite mis-matched in the 7th house too, irrespective of the signs.
The Sun in your chart describes the following,
- Your personal genius, creativity, independence, gambling, brilliance and intelligence.
- Your childhood, whether you were encouraged, praised, made to feel confident or not.
- Your actual father and other males who had authority over you, and your experience with them. (The step-father /2nd father is the 8th from the birth sun)
- Your two physical eyes and more importantly the third eye. You perceive the secrets of the universe with these eyes.
- Your entitlements, things which you take for granted as yours by birth or right and the authority that you wield.
A well placed Sun allows you to express your internal self brightly with grace and in clear light. A self-confident person is attractive and is often naturally in the center-stage. A strong Sun allows you to “think good about yourself”, regardless of what others think. Their opinions do not affect your sense of self, as you internally know you have good reasons for your actions.
But the other side of the Sun is the darker self-righteous personality which is selfish, attention-grabbing, narcissist, not bothered about others and very mean. I knew a person with a debilitated Sun in the ascendant, an excellent lawyer, she was a tireless worker for the poor and often worked without taking fees, very highly respected in society, simple, approachable and non-pretentious. But an extremely self-referential person in private life with no regard for the feelings and hopes of her own husband and child causing them immense trauma of which she was neither understanding nor sympathetic. Her partners were the poor people caught in legal troubles and she would do anything to get justice for them. But in her own personal life, she was the narcissist mother and self-righteous wife.
A quick exercise, in your birth chart, count the signs from the birth sun to the other planets. A count of 6, 8 or 12 is not considered good. All other counts are generally good and will vary in intensity depending on the signs and aspects.
- The Moon from the Sun tells you if your mind has the capacity to express its emotions in a confident manner. Also if these emotions and thoughts are generally clear bright and positive or twisted and negatively directed. Also a look in into how this person can link up his confidence to emotions, can from emotionally manipulative to aggressive and logical.
- The Mars from the Sun is a fair indicator of the power of the physical and astral bodies, the activity and health. The match between the inner fire and its outer expression is examined here. Is the Ego supporting the body positively or negatively?
- The Mercury from the Sun determines if the speech, communication and critical thinking is a product of a positive Self and Ego or not. It also indicates if it is a true transmission of the real self image represented by the Sun. The intellectual power of thought patterns and the articulation of the personal logic.
- The Jupiter from the Sun is the knowledge, wisdom and also a deep happiness. Do you live your life as with balance between the self and the rest of humanity? Are you philosophical and kind to your own self and also to others? Does your ego allow this?
- The Venus from the Sun shows indicates the soul-source of your relationships. Do you enter your partnerships, personal and legal with a sense of love and pleasure? To have successful relationships you need to have a healthy relationship with your own self first. This subtly defines all your other relationships.
- The Saturn from the Sun determines if you carry out your assigned work in the society and the profession. Also how are your contributions actually received by the society/organization. Do you value your work? And in turn is your work valued? This is also ultimately a function of your sense of self-worth and ego.
There is one more important interaction among the planets were the close proxmity to the Sun burns out the others, combust planets, dagdha/asta and caizimi. I have written a post on these results here.
But always remember You are the Central Sun of your Life, You power your life experiences. The power to choose, free will is always available, Sri Krishn in the last shlok of the Bhagwat Gita says to Arjun, 18 chapter, 63 verse, “So I have explained to you very secret knowledge. Deliberate on this completely, and then do what you wish to do“. Free will exists, the horoscope is just the choice you have made before you were born you can change your choices anytime to make things better for yourself!
Tejaswiniji, it’s refreshing.. the way you deal with the energies. I have been dabbling into Vedic Jyotish lately and been wondering about planets at 0 degrees. If Sun is at 0 degrees for a Leo ascendant, what to make out of it. Does it mean a very weak Lagna lord. Can you write something about this. Regards
Great article. However, what does the distance between planets and sun indicate? An example: farther the moon from sun greater the expression/clarity of thought? Since moon is brightest when it’s on the 1/7 axis of sun?
As someone who has sun, moon (amavasya) Jupiter and Venus conjunct in Leo, this would help me understand my patterns better
Might write on the Chandra Kalas in a later post .. this is a vital part of the Shri Vidya and also forms the basis of Ramalshatra part of Jyotish
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks and looking forward. I stumbled on this blog and having been binging on it. Is a goldmine of practical (The surya namaskar article etc.) and scientific Jyotish information. Kudos to you and keep up the great work.