The Question is most important.
There are just these 9 planets/graha, the 12 houses and the 12 signs, these in all their infinite permutations and combinations will answer anything and everything about life, death and beyond. So always ask what you really want to know. If you have clear questions you will get precise answers. Sometimes I get clients who just want to know ‘what the horoscope says’, there is no real answer to this sort of question.For example, here is just this one placement – Libra ascendant, Venus in 5th house/Aquarius with Ketu. (Just with this, not considering their house owners and not considering Rahu) What all can you deduce from this one line? See if you can get some of these following answers! With this placement there is a potential for,
- a highly balanced personality, disciplined, intellectual and fair nature, lucky!
- Inferiority complex, shy, uncertain in public
- oval face, fair or light colored hair, shorter than average stature
- Backache always
- problems in normal vision
- can see ‘extra’ things with the eyes, psychic abilities, can be a tantric with significant occult abilities
- significant access to past life experiences, will have relationships with people known from the past lives, will live in places/situations with karmic connections to the past lives and know it!
- has no sense of personal self, detached from the personality and the environment.
- first half of the life will go in a haze, second half (after 48yrs) will be more aware of himself
- has no personal ‘self-love’, as cannot relate to himself in any way whatsoever, unaware of self, ‘hazed-out’.
- Odd sense of dress and makeup. At least one thing will be out of place in the dressing style. e.g. maybe mismatched socks always.
- life is characterised by ‘change’, there is something changing continuously, rate of change is very high
- can engage in several marriages or affairs, will indifferent to relationships, these will be karmic in nature
- few real friends, but will be known as a public figure by several
- education /knowledge /wisdom will be quite impressive but the person is not bothered about his educational qualifications. Will not boast about this. Will have knowledge of the occult.
- will have gains from various sources, several routes of wealth.
- is capable of making connections with large numbers of people belonging to like-minded groups
- Can get into spirituality and practice and can progress quite a lot. If this happens will worship the Devi, the feminine personified Divinity.
- Marriage to someone significantly older or to someone who is away from home a lot
- problems in child-birth if female chart. Even if it is a male chart, his wife will suffer during pregnancy and childbirth, surgery or something will occur.
- Child will also have psychic abilities.
- Will have few children and will be attached to the child. Child too will be attached to him.
This was briefly, a cursory look at one placement and you have now so much potential information about the person. All these things will happen at some point of the life. But when? And ‘how much’? You will also need to evaluate the intensity of the events. E.g will the person just wear spectacles for his life time or will he be affected by an undiagnosable medical problem to the eyes? Without this targeted reading this all will be too much and perhaps irrelevant.
- So the next step would be to look up the Dasha. With the Vimshottari Dasha there will be one peculiarity. Ketu Mahadasha of 7yrs is sequentially followed by Venus Mahadasha of 20yrs. So a combined seamless 27yrs of Ketu-Venus dominated period. A significant chunk of life where these results will be expressed. If the person is in this 27yrs period these above observations will be accentuated.
- To fine tune the timing and intensity of the readings look up the transits of Ketu and Venus. How their in-transit position is influencing their original position in the birth chart.
Now if you have the complete birth chart/ physical aspects, the birth moon chart/ psychological context and the navamsha chart D-9/ complete potential, the entire life story is open before you. So you need a definite question!
There is no good or bad placement of the planets/ houses/ signs, they just exist. In the above example, the person would have several problems but then there are so many things which are really good too. The chart is a tool, each planet/ house/ sign is a bundle of energy resonating with you. These do not control you nor do they influence you, They Are You. Unless you understand this you cannot make use of the horoscope.
The other methods of divination, like cards or runes are question oriented. The client will ask a question and you will give a definite answer. I have had clients who didn’t have questions, just a vague sense of unease. For this too, cards/ runes have a solution, there is a way you can access their subconscious mind. But it is only in astrology that you will get ‘just tell me about my chart’ type of clients. To get them to open up, you can look at the current in-transit chart and their birth chart and tell them one interesting thing about their relationship, wealth, profession or health (most clients are quite similar in this respect). And do encourage the client to ask. Help him frame a question which you can then answer. Only then will the session be fruitful for both of you.
For your self-analysis too, ask yourself questions and look for patterns in your chart which indicate the answer. Analysis requires time, a sense of intuition and a habit of reading patterns. So practice.