Tiny behavioural shifts leading to the change you desire. And there was a request for more of this sort of stuff. Your behaviour is linked to the planetary configuration you chose at birth. You get a few assets and a few challenges. So where are your assets in the chart?
- First and foremost your mind, the Moon, how you perceive events. A well placed Moon will keep you happy internally. If you get caught in a bad situation you will bounce back sooner because your mind supports you.
- Second the ascendant sign. This is your entire personality and your environment. If this sign is strong with benefics placed here it gives an advantage in life.
- And then the ascendant lord, the owner of the ascendant sign. His placement is important because this determines how your personality and environment interact. How comfortable you are in your body. If this planet is placed badly you will always be in conflict, either because of the body related issues or the stress that your environment will put on you.
If these 3 are well placed, your life becomes relatively more comfortable and manageable. About 50% of your personality is created by these 3 forces, if you engage in activities which are as per their keywords you will feel more at ease. But then there are a few challenges which we have been born with.
Now let’s see how we can channelise the energies of the moon in our life. The Mantra of the Moon is ‘Om Shraang shreeng shrowng sah chandraya namah’, you can recite this once, thrice or 108 times weekly on Mondays or monthly on full-moon days.
- On every full moon night, take a cup full of milk and leave it under the light of the full moon for 5 minutes then drink it. If you don’t like milk, use water.
- Do Tratak /staring at the full moon. This is to be done very briefly, not more than 1 minute.
- If you keep track of the phases of the moon, the second day after the no-moon day/amavasya is especially potent. If you can sight the crescent moon, it will be visible just after sunset on the western horizon. Fold your hands in a Namaskar and recite the beej mantra of the moon, ‘OM shraang shreeng shroung sah chandraya namah 3 times. Or just ‘Om chandraya namah’ 3 times. Feel his energy entering you.
- The full moon (Kojagiri pournima) in the month of Ashwin, (generally October), when the moon is in Pisces and Sun is in Libra, is the night when the moon is at his maximum power. On this night we stay out in the moonlight for the whole night, keep milk under the moonlight and drink it. This is once a year.
- Or if not any things else, the easiest thing is, on full moon nights express your gratitude to him, standing in his light for a few minutes.
Now for some fun things that you can do without getting involved with mantra, tantra yantra! Simple things done with a sense of gratitude and love.
- On Mondays, start your day with one spoon of curd mixed with a little sugar. This is one of the best ways to balance the moon energies.
- If you feel inclined you can add the colors, smells/fragrances and food tastes linked to the Moon in your life. Just a bit here and there, don’t overwhelm yourself.
- Wear silver jewellery, maybe a bracelet or a kada?
- If you live in a particularly hot location, you can try putting a clean silver coin in your water bottle and drink the water throughout the day.
- Women should wear silver toe rings (second toe of both feet) and if possible silver anklets too, these will keep your monthly cycle regular.
- Whenever you cross a river (flowing water not a lake) or the sea, toss a coin in it with a sense of gratitude.
- And finally if you can afford it once a year, give a treat to a small girl (less than 10yrs of age). If you have a small daughter, or a niece or some small girl in your neighbourhood. Either lunch or sweets or if you can donate some fruits or something to small girls in an orphanage. Give this treat with the intention that you are offering it to the Divine Goddess herself and request Her blessing.
The Moon is a natural benefic in the horoscope and sees no other planet as his enemy. However Mercury, Saturn, Venus, Rahu and Ketu tend to make him uncomfortable. Moon aspected/conjoint with Saturn induces fear, with Mercury can lead to psychological problems, with Venus can make one lose his moral compass, with Rahu he is insatiable desiring and ultimately falling on his face, and Ketu with his trademark detachment can have devastating effects on the mind. The Moon is then is quite friendly with the Sun, Jupiter and Mars. He is exalted in Taurus and debilitated in Scorpio. Wherever he is placed, he desires comfort, security, nourishment, care and maternal ‘needy’ love from the keywords of that house.
- Moon placed in the dushamsthana (6th, 8th, 12th) is never comfortable as he never gets his brand of emotional love from these houses of turmoil.
- Another typical position is the 3rd house. This is ordinarily ok, but if aspected by malefics this person will try to dominate others by attacking their emotions!
- The Moon performs quite well in the other houses, unless aspected/conjoint with malefics.
You can increase the energy of the Moon by mediation on a feminine aspect of the Divine, Devi, the Shri yantra or any other feminine deity from your family, faith etc whom you believe in. ‘God’ is actually ‘energy’, so gender related words are rather meaningless, feminine here means to cultivate an attitude of being receptive, introspective, contemplative, peaceful, nurturing etc and actively work for it.
(Do you ever wonder at our Vedic deities all depicted with the gold crowns with the disc of gold. Well, if you have ever seen the aura of a real enlightened Guru, his head chakras shine like that, the rest of the body may be white, pearly, gold-silver, but the head is covered with a gold colored aura which projects in shimmery rays! Even you, if you have been doing your spiritual practice regularly, and have had a particularly satisfying Dhyan session, your head’s aura shines just as if you have put on a gold crown.)