The two luminaries, the Sun and the Moon are our eyes, we ‘see’ because of them, in more ways than one. Their energies resonate with the Creator and the Creation. And there is a very easy way of ensuring that you have an adequate supply of their energies in your life.
The Sun is considered a natural malefic in Vedic astrology. He represents the ‘ego‘. He is friendly with Moon, Jupiter and Mars. And is enemies with Saturn, Venus, Rahu and Ketu. He is exalted in Aries and debilitated in Libra. Which ever house he is placed in, he tends to increase the ego, selfishness and self-referential behaviour related to its keywords. Often there are undercurrents and ego-clashes in your interactions with the environment and agents represented by this house.
- Sun in houses 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 9th, 11th is ok. There will be some issues but unless the Sun is under even more malefic conditions, this will be ultimately ok.
- In 7th he can cause serious ego clashes with husband/wife/business partners which can cause irreparable losses in personal life and businesses.
- Sun in 10th house is considered to be a rather bad placement too, 10th house is natural father, Sun is also the father, but Sun in 10th can give ego-clashes with the father/boss which can cause problems in your life/social position/profession etc.
- Sun in 6th, 8th and 12th can function well if he is aspected by benefics. He will create problems in these houses of turmoil, dushamsthana, but he will also give the energy to successfully deal with them.
- Generally Sun conjunct Mercury is quite common, this is a good combination and the Sun enhances the powers of Mercury. Even if the Mercury is combust or caizmi or retrograde which is also quite frequent it remains a good combination.
If you can delink the Sun-self ego/lower self connect, and reestablish the Sun-Higher self/Ultimate connect, the Sun’s energies will turn into a true blessing.
Now let’s use his energies proactively. First with the Mantra and the intentions. The early morning rays of the Sun are considered beneficial from the medical point of view but they have spiritual implications also. You can use the energy from the Sun, when he is rising, still saffron-orange-red in color. Here are a few ways you can channelise it,
- Do Suryanamaskar, the Yogasan, in the light of the rising Sun. Start with 3 repeats and increase one repeat per week. You can go upto maximum 108 repeats.
- Doing Suryanamaskar requires you to have the basic body fitness to begin with. If you are not reasonably fit, then do some simple stretching or warm-up type of exercises in this early morning sun-light.
- Do Tratak /staring at the rising disc of the Sun. This is to be done for maximum 1 minute, not more than that, when the Sun is just rising at the horizon. Not when it has fully risen else you can damage your physical eyes.
- Give Surya Arghya/water with mantras. Take a copper pot/kalash, fill it with water. If you have any of these these items, a bit of red saffron/ kumkum/ vermillion/ sandalwood powder, a red flower, a few grains of raw white rice, you should add it to the water. Now stand in front of the rising Sun, face him, raise your arms and let the water flow out in a thin stream. Look at the sunlight reflected in the water. While offering the water, you can recite the Surya arghya mantra once or the Surya Beej mantra ‘Om hraang hreeng hroung sah Suryaya namah’, or just ‘Om Suryaya namah’ 3 times.
This is an audio of the full Surya arghya mantra.
- If you cannot recite Sanskrit mantras for any reason, it is ok. Just stand in the light of the rising Sun, fold your hands express your gratitude to his energy for all that he gives. Be conscious of the divine.
If you cannot do anything at all, just sit in the sun, or have your morning tea in the light of the rising sun. If you cannot go out in the early morning sunlight every day, that is also ok. Do it at least on every Sunday then.
Now let’s consciously add some Sun-energy behaviour in our life. Sun ultimately represents the Divinity within you so try to bring a bit of the spiritual in your life. Some small spiritual practice, or some activity that your faith or your conscience tells you to do? But do it regularly. Also he represents Creativity, so we will need to find some creative outlets too. Here are some ideas.
- Exercise for 15 mins at least, at least every alternate day, start with simple stretches, warm-up exercisess, on-the spot jogging, simple dance steps, enjoy it! Nothing too intensive, just as a reminder that you love your body and want to feel it move.
- Eat a small piece of jaggery in the morning before you leave the house for the day.
- Read about the colors, smells/fragrances and food tastes linked to the planets in these posts. If you feel inclined, try to use some of these energies of the Sun, even a tiny bit will be helpful.
- Avoid taking donations or charity from anyone. If you have to accept some stuff of this sort then offer the energy back in the form of blessings.
- Play with your kids. Set up a time for them, maybe 3 times a week? These kids are expressions of your creativity, acknowledge them in some way, give some time to them.
- Write something, just two sentences every day. This ‘secret diary’ is an all-purpose solution because it allows you to express yourself creatively everyday. Write about something that you saw, felt, heard, said, read. Just 2 lines in your words.
- Theatre is a natural outlet for the Sun, but not all of us can get involved in acting/drama. But you can try your hand in acting/singing/karaoke/mimicry etc in small get-togethers and parties. Practice a bit in front of the mirror before you perform in public.
And if you cannot do any of these things, then this is the simplest way. Everyday whenever you first see the Sun in the sky, morning/afternoon/evening whenever you see him, stop for a second, acknowledge his energy in your life, feel his warmth on your body and soul and be Grateful.
(Here is a link to the Aditya Hrudaya stotra, the ‘Gita’ of the Ramayan. This is narrated to Shri Ram by Rishi Agastya. It describes the magnificence of the Internal Sun!)