Scent has a direct link with your state of mind. And if you can control your mind you can do anything. If you are low, a whiff of your favourite perfume can perk you up again. Ever wonder why you love the scents you do? And which planet is linked to which perfume?
So how do we sense this energy, swirling around us, being us? With our sense organs of course! Eyes sense the energy of the sun and light, but sometimes you can see past events happening with your eyes, especially in old houses. Our ears sense the energies of sound, but sometimes we hear ‘voices’ of the long dead which seemingly come from the thin air. Our skin is sensitive to the energies of touch and we can also sense auras with it. Our hair stand on end when we are near non-compatible/scary energy. The tongue, in addition to the taste also checks the energies of the food. You must have noticed this, sometimes food prepared by someone who loves you feels lighter and ‘tastier’, because his feelings of love has energised the food. Then the sense of smell, the fragrance and scent is also energy.
Fragrances are something that you can easily add to your energy manipulation kit. And it can be as simple as applying perfumes on your body to as complicated as using essential oils in your spell-work. I will not write on spells, as I want to focus on easy to do things which wont take too much of your time but will add energy to your daily life. I will just focus on no-fuss fragrances you can use in your daily day. Perfumes are expensive but you dont need to spend that much money to get the benefits.
- If possible, always buy the best possible attars from reputed dealers, and they can be quite expensive. Attars are oil based and have actual essential oils from natural sources blended into a base/carrier oil. You get them in roll-on bottles or with an applicator wand.
- If possible, always buy fragrances which are directly sourced from actual plants not synthetic. Naturally derived materials contain the magic/ energies of the plants from which they are made.
- Go to the shop and browse through the tester scents. Go alone and take your time so that you can identify what you really like. Remember to rest your nose after checking 3-4 scents.
- The kitchen herb section is a very good way to check out which scents you are attracted to. Best part is you can eat or drink them.
- Go to your nearby plant nursery and smell the flowers, see what you are attracted to. You can even go to a park to smell the grass or a sea beach to smell the sea.
- If you like something, plant it in your house! It is the cheapest and actually the best, the living energy of the actual plant. You get dwarf varieties of several tall trees too. You can have your tiny herb garden. Lemon, germanium, lavender, basil, ginger lily, lemon-grass, jasmine, licorice, oregano, thyme, ginger, turmeric, marigold, even a tiny pine seedling.
- As you get more interested you can make your own flower extracts. This is as simple as putting freshly plucked flowers/leaves in clean water in the sun for a few hours. Or putting the clean flower petals/leaves in a bottle of odourless carrier oil, like grapeseed oil.
Remember scents are not just to be worn as a perfume on your body. You can add them to your massage oils, to your bath water. You can burn them in your house. You can add also them to your food, tea, or clothes freshener sachets, or directly wear the flowers in your hair. In India you see women always wear fresh flowers in their hair. It looks beautiful and also is a ready-to go scent therapy. I have put together this list below only as an indicative list. You might be attracted to these scents depending on the most dominant planet in your chart. There is no correct or wrong, chose what you are drawn to. This may change with time too, depending on transit planets and their aspects on the birth planets.
- To increase fiery energies of the Sun, scents of spices like, peppers, like cayenne, eucalyptus, ginger, cinnamon, calamus, camphor, cinnamon, eucalyptus, saffron, heena etc. ‘Warm’ scents.
- For the calming effects of Moon, you can try , scents derived from white flowers like white lotus, lily, sandalwood, plumeria etc. Night blooming flowers like jasmine and mogra. These are ‘cool’ and ‘comforting’ scents.
- Mercury is a chatty creative planet. You can enhance his powers by using ‘green’ minty scents, holy basil-tulsi, Eclipta alba, passionflower, zizyphus, camomile, cedar, thyme, sage, wintergreen etc. To calm the mind however the ‘cool’ scents may be preferable.
- For the Venus dominated personalities, all ‘sweet’ floral fragrances from beautiful flowers, like rose, jasmine, lotus, lily and saffron.
- Mars is again a fiery planet so the ‘warm’ and ‘spicy’ scents similar to the sun will naturally appeal. But you can also try garlic, onion, ginseng, loban or myrrh, turmeric, camphor and asafoetida. Red flowers and their scents.
- Jupiter is an expansive planet and it is drawn to ‘ghee’ type of ‘fatty’ scents, smells of nuts like almonds, walnuts etc and their oils, tonic herbs like ashwagandha, licorice, ginseng etc. Yellow flowers like daffodils, marigold, calendula and even lotus finds a place here.
- You can strengthen your Saturn with scents derived from, myrrh, loban, shilajit, triphala, comfrey root, sandalwood, cedar, frankincense and juniper. Also the scents of dark blue flowers, blue iris, blue violets etc.
- For Rahu/North node, camphor, sage, eucalyptus, wintergreen, calamus, sandalwood, lotus, loban, myrrth. He is a shadowy planet so most incenses are good for balancing his energy.
- For Ketu/south node, sage, calamus, wild ginger, camphor, cedar, juniper bhringaraj/eclipta alba, passion flower. He likes light penetrating fragrances.
Everything around us is simply pure energy, even our bodies are energy. From one perspective, there is nothing called ‘matter’. Matter is just slowed down energy. Scents are also energy and are a vital part of our lives. We being so busy often miss out, but then a whiff of perfume suddenly reminds us of their beauty. Use what really uplifts you, let your subconscious guide you. Use your perfumes and fragrances mindfully and add more joy to your life!