My friend with her camphor air freshener! Now this post is on the other part of the pollution that she was creating in her house. Paraffin wax tea light candles!
Its very fashionable these days to have tea light candles in pretty candle holders in your house. They create a cozy feeling with the pretty golden light and also can be used for making your room smell and feel fresh with essential oils, camphor etc.
But 99% of these candles are made of paraffin wax. Paraffin wax is a by product of petroleum and certainly is not what you should be burning inside of your house so frequently. It is extremely harmful and causes several problems and allergies of the respiratory system.
- Paraffin wax was at one time forbidden to be burnt as it is in itself toxic. It is the sludge that remains after everything including tar/asphalt is removed from crude petroleum.
- Then scientists discovered bleaching agents. So chemicals like acrolyn are added to it, which release carcinogenic toxins such as benzene and toluene on burning.
- Some more additions to improve its look ans shelf life – Acetone, Trichlorofluoromethane, Carbon Disulfide, 2-Butanone, Trichloroethane, Carbon Tetrachloride, Tetrachloroethene, Chlorobenzene, Ethylbenzene, Styrene, Xylene, Phenol, Cresol and Cyclopentene … I think if you cannot pronounce it better not burn it in your house!
- Finally the candle maker companies add various other chemicals to improve texture and burning properties. Also add artificial dyes for color and synthetic fragrances to create the mood scents. Even more chemicals to be burnt then.
- Finally the soot produced by paraffin wax remains inside your house, your AC filter and your lungs, permanently.
So what do you do now? There is realistically only one option left, Beeswax. Do buy 100% pure beeswax from a local beekeeper or reputed sellers and make your own candles at home. Making candles is quite easy. There are several websites to help you out. You get the candle forms pre-wicked and you just need to carefully melt and pour the beeswax in them and let cool. Or buy 100% pure beeswax candles from a reputed seller. I make my own beeswax candles and here are the benefits.
- A totally awesome fragrance of honey when you burn it. It is obviously natural and not chemical based. It even feels so pure, like I could eat it!
- Burning beeswax releases negative ions. This is so ultra important that there are negative ion generators sold in the market these days. See, all pollutants and allergens are positively charged particles. When these positively charged particles enter our bodies they cause harm. So what do your beeswax negative ions do? They stick to these positively charged bad stuff and neutralises it. You get cleaner and safer air around you.
Bees are such wonderful insects, beeswax, honey, pollination for fruits and food, everything is thanks to these little industrious workers. Really our civilisation rests on their tiny wings!