The Sun is the source of all energy in a horoscope.And just like his energies as in the skies can scorch, his energies in the horoscope can scorch any other planet which gets too close to him. And since the zodiac is essentially a circle and the grahas are also spherical objects the distance where the sun gets too close for comfort is measured in degrees.If you have your horoscope with you check out the location in degrees of the Sun and the planets nearest to him as below to check if they are combust. If you want a handy app to calculate your horoscope, download any of the phone apps for vedic astrology. For android I have found “Hindu calendar” by developer “Alok Mandavgane” and for iphones “Drik panchang” by developer “Adarsh apps” to be quite accurate and user friendly.
- Mars if located in the horoscope either 17 degrees before or after the Sun will be scorched by the Suns energy.
- Mercury – 14 degrees (12 degrees when retrograde)
- Venus – 10 degrees (8 degrees when retrograde)
- Jupiter – 11 degrees
- Saturn – 15 degrees
- Moon – 12 degrees is considered by some astrologers to be combust. The other opinion is that moon cannot be combust. However 12 degrees from Sun, the moon is on a Amavasya, no moon visible in the skies. The implications of an amavasya birth are more severe so its immaterial if the moon is theoretically combust or not.
- The lunar nodes Rahu and Ketu do not become combust or anything as they are just geometrical points on the ecliptic. But if they intersect with the Sun on a full moon or no moon days they lead to eclipses which is an even more astrologically significant phenomenon.
The intensity of the burn and blinding of the planets varies if the Sun is a malefic or benefic for the horosope. And if the sun and the scorched planet receives benefic or malefic aspects from other planets in the horoscope. The planets, who have entered the region within 1 degree of the Sun, are practically ashes, or “asta”. But there is an interesting caizmi phenomenon where the planet is within the orb of the sun within 17seconds of the sun. In this case it is like the planet is sitting on the lap of the king/Sun. The Sun has in a way absorbed the other planet and can at times express the attributes of that planet to extraordinary heights. In this rare event the attributes of the planet may even be enhanced beyond normal limits and would ultimately be beneficial.
Now lets check out some of the interesting effects of combust planets. These are extreme effects which can be modualted by aspects. Aspects from benefics will make it better and malefics will make it worse.
- Combust Mars – You have little awareness of the impact of your actions on others, ie from your perspective, the victim is invisible. You are autocratic with a strongly competitive and even violent style of expressing yourself. You will never leave any opportunity to show or exercise your power, You are very proud of your power and positions.
- Combust Moon – You will project your own thoughts and beliefs upon others, you believe that your own perceptions are true because they are more ethical or brilliant. You have stronger rational abilities and lesser emotional perception.
- Combust Mercury – You are clever but distinctively self-focused. You prefer to talk about esoteric topics, politics, drama and genius. Your conversation is self-referential. But your personal experience is less integrated with the experience of others. You may be forgetful or suffer memory loss
- Combust Jupiter – You and your father always play the center stage. You have no pre malice but you are simply not aware of the needs of your students. You are unaware of the feelings of teachers/preceptors and those who are dependant on their religious faiths. Your own philosophy is rather shallow and based only on own personal experiences. You do not accommodate the philosophical views of others. You have multiple father-figures.
- Combust Venus – Sun is a very individual graha and Venus is balance but both are arch enemies. You are brilliantly intelligent and physically beautiful, may be a film star perhaps. You behave erratically in relationships, have a strange fashion sense. Your relations are always out of balance and your taste in partners is also erratic.
- Combust Saturn – You resist creativity, your intelligence and willpower is constrained. Saturn is social convention and Sun is individual creativity and both are bitter enemies. You have an unbalanced autocratic style of running the house. Erratic habits as you cant manage your time. You are not be able to conform to social expectations as you feel you are autocratically entitled to ignore them. Happiness from the father is reduced. Saturn is Sun’s son.
So as you see as above, if you have combust planets in your horoscope it will have a detrimental effect to some extent and you need to consciously work on your personality.Combust graha have been weakened, blinded and burnt by the Sun. The closeness to sun causes the person to over estimate himself which leads to arrogance and then losses later. Do check your horoscope and if such a graha exists it must be strengthened. You have to consciously intend for this to happen. There will be domineering personalities as indicated by the Sun around you in your environment. These may be older father figures or males in your family or surroundings. The areas of life indicated by the combust plants always suffer from some interference from the father. You have to try to be positive and independent here. Try to develop some activities away from such dominating persons in your life. Live separately, start a separate business etc as you can.
And finally an astrological remedy. If you are so inclined you can light a small copper lamp with sesame oil and cotton wick on the day of your combust planet and recite its beej mantra. This act with Intention will add to its energies and help you express yourself.