I have always got very good results with Guided meditation. This is not Dhyan but a tool to heal yourself. As usual if you go to a professional he will charge you and also make the process seem more esoteric and complicated than it is. You can do this at home yourself if you have a best friend or husband or brother someone whom you are comfortable with to guide you. Do this once every 2-3 months.
Here is how you do it.
- Prepare your room, it should be clean, well aired and pleasing. You can use some light fragrance like camphor or musk or whatever you like. Set up 2 separate places on the ground, for you and your guide.
- Wear comfortable loose clothing, switch off your phones, switch off the lights and sit comfortably cross legged in your places. Face north or east.
- Both you and your guide should intend in your mind that the guided mediation brings you happiness, healing at deep levels and inner balance.
- Your work is now to breathe deeply and slowly, not forced breathing. When you breathe, your abdomen should move, not your just your chest. Keep your eyes relaxed but be ready to see whatever may be shown to you. Listen to your guide and visualise whatever he is describing to you. Use your native language in which you are most comfortable in.
- Now the guide should speak in a low clear soothing voice, with long pauses. The script goes something like this.
- Relax the body and the mind – “You are comfortable. You are relaxed now. Feel your legs relax. Feel your back relax. Your arms and hand are relaxed. Now feel your neck muscles relax and your shoulders relax. Your head and mind is also relaxing now. Every part of your body and mind has relaxed now. You are at peace and willing to heal deeply/get your inner balance/restore positivity”.
- Create a safe place – “You are at a Mountain top. The forest looks like …. The sun, weather etc…. . You feel the warm sun. You smell the flowers. You are relaxed. You see a lovely pool of water.. You go near. You see your favourite God (or anyone who inspires his faith) standing there. You meet your God and are deeply happy”.
- Do the cleansing – “The God takes your hand and asks you to throw all the stuff that has been bothering you one by one into the pool of water. You do so, all the negative stuff has gone away from you. Now your God waves his hand and the pool of water vanishes into fire. Deep beautiful orange red flames consume everything in the pool now. Then the God waves his hands and the flames vanish and from the flames a beautiful jewel appears in his hand”.
- Complete the healing – “The God smiles and gives it to you now. You hold it and see the beauty and the blessing. You wear this jewel now”.
- Close the meditation – “The God now fades. The mountain top fades. Breathe deeply and feel the blessings, the healing and the balance”.
This script works generally for everyone, but of course the guide can speak/guide as per his intuition. It is possible that you may feel emotional or even tears may come into your eyes. Let it happen gently, it is a part of the healing, releasing process.
Then after this healing meditation, both you and your guide should remain in a meditative relaxed pose for some 10 more minutes.
The guide has a very responsible position here, a position of trust and kindness. If the guide is genuinely interested in you and wants to help you then this guided meditation can be extremely effective in releasing past traumas and blockages from the deep inner most recesses of the mind. Some one who loves you would be a much better guide than any professional. Both of you will learn something from this session. And after the session do remember to express your gratitude to your friend for being your guide. Or even better be his guide the next time.
You have the resources with you. You know yourself and only you can be kind to yourself. Be your own healer.