Planets move around the Sun in at constant speed and in one constant forward motion. But when we see them from earth, they seem to go through various types of movements in the sky Perspective! These movements are of eight types (as listed in the Suryasiddhant written by Mayadanav),
- Vikala – no movement, the planet seems to be stationary. This can be for hours or upto 5 days days depending on the planet. e.g Saturn seems to stop /stambhit, for about 5 days before he changes his apparent direction of motion while Mercury is stationary for just a few hours.
- Vakra – Retrograde, when the planet in the motion reverse to the usual forward motion and apparently moves backward into the zodiac. e.g. Saturn will turn retrograde on 30 April 2019 and Jupiter is retrograde now.
- Anuvakra – When a retrograde planet goes back into the previous sign continuing in its retrograde motion. Jupiter did this when he reversed direction and came back from Sagittarius to Scorpio in Apr 2019.
- Manda – forward motion but somewhat slower than usual
- Mandatara – forward motion and even slower than the previous Manda motion
- Sama – the planet has started accelerating in the forward motion
- Chara – is faster than the previous Sama
- Atichara – when a planet in forward motion enters the entering next sign really very fast, e.g. Jupiter entered Scorpio in 2018 Nov and he moved really fast and entered Sagittarius in April 2019, in just 6 months.
Retrograde planets are linked to your past life lessons, those few lessons which you revise again and again. So their energies are more directed inwards towards the self rather than outwards. To evaluate the results of any planet in retrograde motion in your birth chart, first evaluate,
- the basic nature of this planet, e.g his natural karakatva, Saturn is your work and gains,
- then which signs/ houses of the zodiac he naturally rules, Capricorn/10th house and Aquarius/11th house,
- then in your personal birth chart, where he is placed, the aspects that he has on others and the aspects he is under, is he retrograde, debilitated, combust or with malefics/benefics etc. This is the routine analysis which you already know by now.
Now here are a few rules for specifically analysing retrograde planets in your birth chart.
- If the retrograde planet is exalted in your birth chart, he will not give his results in the physical life, his energies will be completely directed inwards. This is good from the spiritual point of view as this would mean you have finally internalised your lesson.
- If he is retrograde and debilitated in your birth chart, he will give all his results in the physical world, he gains power and can be very helpful. Can give extraordinary power and position. But he will give nothing for the internal spiritual life.
- If more than one planet is retrograde in your chart the power of the planet which has advanced most in its sign will be comparatively more. eg. Saturn retrograde placed in 27deg Taurus will be more powerful than Venus retrograde placed at 5deg Cancer.
- If the currently retrograde planet is retrograde in your birth chart too, you need to do some spiritual activity till he turns forward again. You may face some slow downs and problems in those aspects of life which are in linked to this planet and his position in your chart in your physical life. But this will boost you spiritually. So plan on doing some meditation, pranayam or any practice which you are drawn to.
- The 1st, 4th, 7th and 10th houses are the pillars on which your life rests, the Kendra houses.
- If natural benefics owns 4th, 7th and 10th houses and are retrograde then they will not give good results in the physical life. i.e Jupiter, Venus, Mercury (Moon is never retrograde). But will give good results for the spiritual things.
- If natural malefics own 4th, 7th and 10th houses and are retrograde, they will give good results for the physical life, but not for the spiritual life.
- The 1st, 5th and 9th houses are the Dharma trikon which represent the help you get from others, this ensures you achieve your life objectives easily. Any planet which owns these houses and retrograde can give very good results in the physical life. (If he owns the 6th, 8th and 12th houses too at the same time, his results will be a bit lowered).
- One important point is that in case the retrograde is a Anuvakra. The planet crosses back into the previous sign during the retrograde motion. e.g the present Jupiter has started retrograding from Sagittarius in April 2019 and has crossed back into the previous sign Scorpio now. So for babies born now, Jupiter will give a mix of results Scorpio+Sagittarius.
Astronomically Saturn reverses his direction whenever Sun enters the 5th or 9th house counted from his sign (Sun is in Aries in April 2019) and turns direct again when Sun enters the other 5th or 9th sign (Sun is in Leo during September 2019).
Very briefly on Saturn’s present retrograde. He is aspecting Gemini (7th from), Libra (11th from) and Aquarius (3rd from) as he is placed in Sagittarius. Right now he is with Ketu and aspected by Rahu, briefly Mars will aspect him in May-Jun. So if you are born with the ascendant or the Moon in these four signs will need to take special care. Also check out what these 4 signs represent in your chart, you will get some trouble from these parts of your life. Libra will be the least affected followed by Aquarius, Gemini and then Sagittarius which is going to bear the brunt of this retrograde.
This Saturn will make everyone go slow and think before taking decisions related to career, professional things, investments, like-minded groups, speculations, stock markets etc. Do not take big decisions related to legal issues, relations, financial matters, you might need to review them after Saturn turns forward again. If you are ill in some body part connected with Saturn (bones, teeth, ligaments, nails, hair etc) take special care. If you also have a retrograde Saturn in your birth chart, then expect issues with money flow and work. Try to behave in an honest, legal and professional manner, be disciplined, self-restrained and efficient as possible as taking on Saturn’s qualities will be good during this period.