I have written a few posts on planetary combinations which cause turmoil in life. If two planets interact in the horoscope, they enhance each other’s similar qualities and create harshness where they differ from each other. Some of these typical combinations are,
- Jupiter and Venus
- Jupiter and Rahu – Guru Chandal yog
- Jupiter Moon in 6/8 axis – Shakat yog
- Moon and Rahu
- Saturn and Moon
- Saturn and Mars
- Saturn and Rahu
If you have these combinations in your birth chart then you will clearly see these results on the material plane in your physical life and the environment around you. You can easily identify the problem, so can also act to resolve it. But if you get these uncomfortable combinations in your D9 chart, ie the Navamsha chart then you may remain unaware of the situation which will continue as you generally are unaware of the subtle things of the Navamsha chart.
The Navamsha D9 chart is considered to be the expansion of the 9th house, ie your foundations in all ways. It is where you analyse your potential, your expectations and your ability to feel satisfied about something in life. If something is uncomfortable here then it subtly affects your life in every way. The Navamsha chart is next in importance to the birth chart. you draw from its potential energy to actualise your material life. There are three ways to analyse the Navamsha (post here). The third way listed here is the Navamsha tulya Rashi, ie the navamsha chart is interpreted in the same way as the birth chart.
So open your birth and navamsha chart together.
1. If you have a harsh planetary combination conjoint in your birth chart and this conjunction repeats in your Navamsha chart.
This means that the energy springs from deep within the psyche, strongly pervades into your material life and exponentially increases the effect of the combination. You will express its full energy and also feel internally comfortable when you do so. Rectifying these negative traits will not be easy as you do not feel them to be negative as per your perception.
Analyse the two signs and the Nakshatra pad/quarter involved to get more information.
Eg Suppose you have your Jupiter at 7deg Leo and Rahu at 8deg Leo. Both are in the Magha nakshatra 3rd quarter. It is a very close Guru Chandal yog in the birth chart. In the Navamsha chart too, both are allocated to the same Gemini Navamsha. The Guru Chandal is present in both the potential D9 and the manifested D1. The environment of Gemini will be in the background and will be expressed though the lens of Leo. ie you will be very logical, intelligent, able to think quickly through options, choose the right one and act very boldly and confidently. You can get more information when you add the qualities of Magha 3rd pad, ie highly individualistic, capable, fiery, ambitious, rebellious, intelligent, always wanting to learn new things etc to your analysis. But the typical nature of the Guru chandal will exist, the foundation of the personality is linked to its energy and at some point of time you will betray those people who have supported you and also feel satisfied about this act of yours.
2. The planets are not together in the birth chart but are allocated to Navamshas ruled by the same sign.
Eg suppose you have your Saturn at 8deg Cancer and Mars at 28deg Taurus. As per the navamsha allocation table above, both are located in a navamsha ruled by Virgo. Suppose Virgo sign falls in the 4th house of your Navamsha chart. So you will analyse the effect of the Saturn Mars conjunction in Virgo sign and 4th house as per this post. These two together will have their typical combined effect on the keywords of the 4th and the opposite 10th house, creating an undercurrent of frustration and dissatisfaction. You will not be able to create or stick to schedules. You will have several genius level ideas, but you will not be able to structure them in a practical manner. Strangely this will not cause you much stress as you have so very many ideas that just thinking about them or briefly following them satisfies you. You will not be acknowledged for any specific thing but will be respected as a useful and powerful person to have around. The underlying energy of the personality in the home and office will be Saturn + Mars. Even if the 4th and 10th houses in the birth chart are exceptionally powerful, aspected by benefics etc, still this background Navamsha energy will affect these parts of your personality till you finally become aware of your inner discomfort and take active steps to address it. The trigger dasha when you will understand this, will be a combination of Saturn Mars and Mercury. And the trigger transit will be most likely a Mars or Saturn transit in Virgo. After this realization you might be able to take corrective action if the rest of the chart allows this.
3. The planets are not conjunct in the birth chart but are aspecting in the Navamsha chart.
Eg You have your Saturn in 5deg Aquarius, allotted to Scorpio navamsha. Your Moon is in 23deg Virgo allocated to Leo navamsha. So Saturn will aspect Moon with his 10th aspect in the Navamsha chart. (I wrote a post here on Saturn and Moon.) This position means that the mother, people from your maternal side etc 4th house things will subconsciously be a source of betrayal, you will feel emotionally disconnected from your traditions, feel anxious if you are required to look after your home, landed property or even drive a car. These are subconscious expectations so even if your birth chart’s Moon is strong etc these Navamsha influences will always be at the back of your mind creating discomfort.
4. The harsh combination present in the the birth chart does not exist in the navamsha chart.
Eg suppose you have your Mars aspecting Saturn in the birth chart but there is no connection between the two in the D9. This means that the uncomfortable energy very much exists in your material life, you will feel all the frustrations that this will give in the life that you are living. But on the inner levels you will perceive differently,
- If the D9 offers a better position for both of them eg Saturn moves to a Capricorn navamsha and Mars to an Aries navamsha then both are separated in the D9. Each is in its own sign’s Navamsha so more comfortable and potentially capable of better results. If you are aware of their more balanced potential from the D9, you can actively use their energies from here to reduce your stress in the physical life.
- But pay attention if the same harshness repeats in the D9 but in a different ‘flavour’. Eg if Saturn is allocated to Scorpio navamsha. Here Mars will continue to subtly affect the potential power of Saturn in your life from your D9 too, giving you no respite.
Let’s take a look at our standard example chart, Aleister Crowley, 12th Oct 1875, 11: 42pm, Leamington Spa, Britain. A reasonably accurately recorded life, happening events and dead, so a good case study.
This birth chart has several harsh combinations. If you analyse this person, his material life had several typical characteristics of these dissonant combinations.
- Venus Jupiter are within 15deg, influencing 4th 10th.
- Rahu Moon conjunct but just about 15deg apart, both influence the 9th house.
- Mars Saturn are not typically conjunct but both influence 7th and 1st house.
In the Navamsha chart, it is incredible that all these 3 typical pairs, Venus – Jupiter, Mars – Saturn, Moon – Rahu get positioned in the 5/9 axis. ie In the mutually cooperative 5/9 axis of genius and creativity feeding each other as an evolving energy spiral. Planets in the 5/9 axis are very comfortable as each uses the power of the other in his own way to give his typical gains. These navamsha positions have removed much of the negativity of these combinations of the birth chart. On the inner levels, Crowley was not very concerned with the havoc these planets were playing in his material life, he was evolving with their support on the inside. However Rahu Moon continue in the Shakti yog in the navamsha too, affecting its Dharma trikon, so he was quite satisfied with his actions of attacking the dogma of the religion that he was born in and in developing the Thoth tarot etc.
Other Divisional Charts. The Navamsha chart is critical, do analyse it for all questions that you get, just ensure that you have the correct birth time. The other divisional charts are used depending on the question that you ask. The logic of analysing these harsh combinations will remain the same in the divisional charts too.
- Eg if you have been asked a question on professional success, you will open the D10. If you see a Mars Saturn combination in the 1st house of this divisional chart, Dashamsha, then you cannot predict a very successful professional life for this person. If you can, counsel him about the effects of this combination and if he addresses the issue he may improve to some extent.
Finally, I often get this question often on how to find out if the remedies will work or not? Here are a few tips for you to evaluate this.
- Prashna – if the client has come to you at an auspicious time then the remedies you prescribe will work well. Use Prashna techniques liberally at every reading, even if your client does not ask you a specific ‘Prashna’ in the astrological sense of this word. This means to always be aware of the current position of the planets in the skies, the current ascendant sign etc. To note the movement of your own nadi, ie Ida, Pingala and Sushumna, your own state of mind is connected to this. And finally to remain aware of the surroundings ie Shakun /omens, all this will help you give more accurate predictions.
- The client’s Dharma trikon – it has to be strong in the birth chart or at least in transit when he has come to consult you. Especially his 9th house has to be strong.
- Your own Dharma trikon – A person becomes an astrologer or has the ability to divine only if he has a strong Dharma trikon, especially the 5th house has to have power. You can analyse this for yourself, whenever your 5th house gets strength in transit your readings will be more accurate.
- The D 60 of the client is used to get a summary of the planet in life. The Shashtyamsha is the final say on the auspiciousness of the planet. If you have the precisely accurate birth time, then you can check the D60, you will need to do a seconds level birth time rectification for this. Any remedy done for a planet auspicious in the D 60 will 100% work. For the other planets placed in the malefic/ inauspicious Shashtyamsha, you will have to predict average results even after doing the remedies. But as remedies reduce the intensity of the negativity, it is always advisable to do them, ie do Daan and Mantra as per Rishi Parashar.
(I was getting too many questions of this sort, so use this post to analyse your birth and navamsha chart for yourself.)