There was a request for more practical type posts. This despite having written about so many small things that you can do to increase your ability to concentrate, ie to increase your power of making your mind still at one point. So here is one more exercise. But you must do one of these exercises sincerely and regularly, just reading about them is of no use.
I have written about Tratak, ie staring at one single point. The following can be used as your focus,
- The center of the Shri chakra,
- The rising or setting Sun, ie when it is a red colored dot at the horizon
- The full Moon.
- The flame of a Deepak, ie Agni.
These are the best options, they are pure energies directly from nature ie Prakruti herself. But apparently if you find these original geometries and focus points boring, let’s stare at something more interesting, your own face.
This is how you go about it.
- You will need a good quality clean mirror. If you have the water of the river Ganga, sprinkle a few drops on this before starting, with the intention that she cleanses it of all negativity, enhances positivity. Or pray to your source of faith to clean it of all negativity, to create positivity in it and sprinkle regular water on it.
- A reasonably lit, neat and clean room. Sprinkle Ganga water all around to clean the room of negative vibrations and entities. Or you can clean out your space using your preferred method, eg blowing a conch, ringing bells, burning incense etc.
- Sit on your Asan. The position should be in an Yog Asan, ie yogic posture, choose any in which you can sit for about 5mins comfortably. Your back, neck and head should be aligned, no slouching. Breathe deeply, relax. Recite Om 3 times, drag out the ‘mmmmm’ part. Call on your favourite deity, ie source of faith etc to help you in your endeavour.
- Keep your mirror in front of your face at eye level about 3-4 feet away, so that you can clearly see your own face. Take a few deep breaths, relax yourself.
- First look at your face reflected in the mirror for a minute. Take in your eyes, eyebrows, forehead, nose, chin, cheeks, lips, neck etc.
- Then focus on your own third eye position, ie the point between your eyebrows in the mirror. Do this for only one minute initially.
- After you finish, close your eyes, remain sitting for a few minutes. In case you see any visions etc, observe them dispassionately. Get up.
- This is all there is to the exercise itself. It is quite simple to perform.
This mirror needs to be stored carefully. It should be wrapped in a red paper or a red cloth. Do not let others view it or see their face in it. (If you are already using a mirror for scrying then get a different one for Tratak, do not mix the two)
Your Asan too is your personal object of power. Do not let others touch it or sit on it.
Breathing – Breathe in an even rhythm, slow deep breaths, abdominal breaking. If you feel the breath is agitated, it means that the mind is agitated and you must slow down or stop your exercise .
Mantra – Do not recite any mantra. There should be no thought, you cannot think of anything, even of a mantra. Your mind should be trained to focus only at your chosen focus point in the mirror. For a few days you will not be able to concentrate on your own reflection, the mind will wander. But as you progress, it will get will get easier. Even later, your reflected face will vanish from the mirror, as your subconscious mind starts getting active, you might see visions before you. Be careful when this starts happening as this is often past karma is dredged out from the depths of the subconscious. After this the thought-less stage which comes while during Dhyan will happen.
Time – You will be doing this alone with no teacher with you, so do it for max 5mins or less if you feel scared. Do not exceed your personal time limit. If you do so, the subconscious mind can get activated to such an extent that it can cause problems. It can put up so many things before your conscious mind that it can crack.
There is a reason why the subconscious mind is not allowed to act freely, it has all the stored information from your past, present, future, parallel lives and it can be dangerous for people who are not ready to experience all this at once. As with any practice involving the mind it is best to slow and steady. And stop at the first sign of internal restlessness or fear. If you are not feeling comfortable, it is your mind telling you that it is not up to it, listen to it.
Siddhi – Tratak is a first step for those who wish to achieve Siddhis like Vashikaran etc. I never advocate pursuing Siddhis as they are of no use. You invest significant time to achieve them and they last only for this current life time. Also there is a high possibility of getting caught in self-ego and creating negative karma by unethical use of Siddhi on others. Do not use the powers of the subconscious mind to damage others. Negative karma created in such a way is very intense and will eventually damage you, ie hat you have done to others will be done to you to achieve karmic balance.
Hypnotic power – People who do Tratak regularly, can hypnotise others by just looking into their eyes for a few mins. So teach yourself to look at other people’s nose or mouth as you interact with them, do not stare into their eyes for too long. If you do, they will get uncomfortable, be receptive to suggestions that you make and later get hypnotised. Also you will pick up random information from their subconscious mind. In case you accidentally hypnotise others, sprinkle some water on them to get them back to normal. In my personal opinion, hypnotising others is a crime. I never do it.
Programming objects – You can ‘programme’ objects, ie infuse a desired thought pattern into an object. Use this ability only for positive actions, do not create negative karma for yourself.
- Take a object, eg a pen, and stare at it for 5 mins. Then intend that whoever looks at this object will be under your control and blow on it. Now onwards whoever looks at this pen can be easily influenced by you. You can use this cheat code for getting through interviews etc. Or you can use this to suggest that your clients take up some spiritual practice or behave in a better way or give up addictions. This pen will retain this energy for about a month or so.
- Later you can ‘implant’ ideas in others heads by just staring at them and mentally telling them what to you want them to do.
- If you stare at food that others are eating it can cause them ill-health or make them better just by your thoughts. So avoid randomly staring at things /people and keep a strict control on your thoughts.
- A positive way of using this is to programme your food and water. Stare at it for a few mins before eating it and intend that it helps you be healthy.
- Take a object, eg a brooch. Stare at it and think of your source of faith, eg Shri Ram. Visualise him as clearly as you can and intend that his energy now resides in this brooch. Wear it on your dress and it will work as an amulet help you and protect you. Its energy will wear out in a month or so.
This trick of mildly hypnotising others for subconsciously influencing them is very common. But I have observed that the effects of such exposure stop after having a bath or even after sprinkling water on the victim. Even programmed objects lose their programming after you sprinkle water on them.
In my personal experience this simple seeming exercise can get very intense. The subconscious mind gets active very fast as the conscious mind is sort of ‘self-hypnotised’, tranquillised. It will show you scenes from your past lives, unfinished karma etc which is a generally problematic thing. Then you will be required to resolve it, ie repay back the energy to the person who is to receive or come to terms with it. In case you do all this, this exercise can give results equivalent to Chhaya sadhana.So if you do this form of Tratak, be prepared for what can happen. Ultimately you are responsible for yourself.
Energy flows out through the eyes and you are enhancing this inherent power of yours by this targeted Tratak, it is a full fledged sadhana in itself. If you do it sincerely then you can help yourself and others around you.