Jyotish has several techniques which help give accurate predictions. A astrology technique post today. (Navamsha posts are based on CS Patel’s work.)
One navamsha arc of 3deg 20min, exactly corresponds to one quarter of the nakshatra. 108 navamsha (9×12) and 108 nakshatra quarters (27×4). The navamsha arc is the same as the nakshatra pads (lunar mansion quarters).
If you analyse the transits at this level especially for the slow moving planets, Jupiter, Saturn, Rahu and Ketu, you can get some really precise predictions.
Saturn fascinates my readers the most, so I will take Saturn’s transit as an example.
First to understand this “table of navamsha signs”.
- The first column has the arc ‘degrees of signs’ of the 9 navamsha in a sign. Each navamsha covers a 3deg 20min arc of the zodiac so there are 9 navamsha arcs in a 30 deg sign.
- The top row has the 12 signs, from Aries to Pisces, ie the Mesha to Meena rashi.
- In the column of Aries/Mesha, you see the 1-9 navamsha of Aries. They are ruled by the signs from Aries to Sagittarius, these are given as numbers from 1-9. ie the first navamsha arc is owned by Aries itself/1. The second arc by Taurus/2 and so forth.
- In the column Taurus/Vrishabha, the its 9 navamsha are ruled by the 9 signs starting from Capricorn/10 to Virgo/6.
- And similarly for the other signs.
- eg if your ascendant degree is in 14deg Cancer/Karka, it will be allotted to Scorpio navamsha.
- eg if your Jupiter is at 1deg Pisces/Meena then he will be allotted to Cancer navamsha.
Saturn stays in one navamsha, ie a 3deg 20 min arc in the skies, for approx 1-3 months. He completes his round around the 360deg zodiac in 30yrs. He tends to go forwards and retrograde for months, has different speeds etc so its approx 1-3 months per navamsha.
At present he is in Capricorn sign. Currently in the Shravan nakshatra. Capricorn sign contains nine navamsha belonging to the nine signs from Capricorn to Virgo. Shravan lunar mansion is made of the four quarters which are the four navamsha owned by the four signs from Aries to Cancer. So to put it together, 14th Nov 2021, Saturn is in Taurus navamsha which is the same as the Shravan nakshatra 2nd pad/quarter, in the Capricorn sign.
He was retrograde from 23rd May 2021 to 10th Oct 2021. So in this year that he has transited over this Shravan 2nd quarter three times in total, forwards, backwards and now forwards again.
The Janma navtara chakra
The example chart. Aleister Crowley, 12th Oct 1875, 11: 42pm, Leamington Spa, Britain. He is dead and has a reasonably well-known life, happening on several levels, a good study subject.
Birth Moon is Poorvabhadrapada nakshatra, this lunar mansion lies in Pisces sign. He was born in the 4th quarter of Poorvabhadrapada, so birth Moon is in a Navamsha owned by Cancer sign.
(This post on the Janma Navtara chakra, it is useful in several ways. Find the lunar mansion occupied by your birth Moon, the ‘Janma nakshatra’. Next find out the nakshatra’s specific pad/quarter in which the Moon was at the time of your birth.)
We are taking it down to the navamsha levels here. I have also written the quarter/pad number, so this chakra is technically called the Janma navtara amsha chakra for Crowley.
|Janma amsha||P.bhadrapada 4th pad||Punarvasu 4th pad||Vishakha 4th pad||Jupiter|
|Sampat amsha||U.Bhadrapada 4th pad||Pushya 4th pad||Anuradha 4th pad||Saturn|
|Vipat amsha||Revati 4th pad||Ashleysha 4th pad||Jeyshtha 4th pad||Mercury|
|Kshema amsha||Ashvini 4th pad||Magha 4th pad||Mula 4th pad||Ketu|
|Pratyari amsha||Bharani 4th pad||P.phalguni 4th pad||P.ashadha 4th pad||Venus|
|Sadhaka amsha||Krutika 4th pad||U.phalguni 4th pad||U.ashadha 4th pad||Sun|
|Naidhana amsha||Rohini 4th pad||Hasta 4th pad||Shravan 4th pad||Moon|
|Mitra amsha||Mruga 4th pad||Chitra 4th pad||Dhanishtha 4th pad||Mars|
|Ati Mitra amsha||Aradra 4th pad||Swati 4th pad||Shatataraka 4th pad||Rahu|
Crowley’s birth Moon in the 4th pad of a nakshatra, so whenever a planet crosses the specific 4th pad of any nakshatra, it will always give him a definite tangible result. This result will depend on what this planet stands for in the life. You know that Saturn is right now favourable for Pisces moon sign overall, so his overall transit in Capricorn sign will be auspicious for Crowley. But if you want to pinpoint the actual occurrence of a specific favourable result, then this table helps narrow down the prediction to a window of 1 month or so.
So, for Crowley, when Saturn transits the Shravan 4th pad, this would be the Naidhana Tara amsha. To predict what kind of results, we have to analyse the karakatva of Saturn. He is the ruler of the 7th and 8th house from the ascendant sign so is a class one malefic. It would be an overall bad time for him with endings of several types, turmoil in the keywords related to Saturn. But because Saturn is overall favourable for Pisces sign, things will not go really bad. Or he will gain something positive from the things which are going to end.
Note one more thing.
This year, Saturn entered Shravan nakshatra, reached its 3rd quarter and turned retrograde. He moved backwards through 3rd 2nd and 1st quarters. Then while sitting in the 1st pad, he turned forwards again. Going forward, he is again travelled in quarters 1st 2nd 3rd.
- So if your personal birth Moon is in the 1st 2nd 3rd quarter of your birth Nakshatra then Saturn would have given you more ups and downs as compared to people who were born in the 4th pad of any Nakshatra. As Saturn would have crossed over your birth lunar mansion quarter, ie Janma navtara amsha, three times in this year 2021.
So open your own Janma navtara chakra and see what Tara Shravan is for you.
- If Shravan is your Janma tara, Vipat tara, Pratyak tara or Naidhana tara and if you were born in the 1st 2nd 3rd quarters of any Nakshatra then you must have experienced a lot of fluctuations in your life connected to Saturn in 2021 which would have caused you significant strain.
- If you were born in the 4th quarter of any Nakshatra, then you are luckier. You will be facing Saturn in the Shravan 4th quarter for a brief period, 21 Jan – 17 Feb 2022 that too in his direct motion. Whatever he brings for you will not be revised or reviewed as he does not turn retrograde in these degrees in this cycle, it will be his final result for this cycle. So again, be careful if he is in the Janma, Vipat, Pratyak or Naidhana for you, he can give severe stresses. Reasonably average results for Kshema and Mitra. And expect good results for Sampat, Sadhaka and Atimitra, if Saturn is auspicious for you.
This is how you can understand and predict the results of planets, forward and retrograde using the Nakshatra quarters/Navamsha coupled with the transit results.
The 64th Navamsha.
One more technique, linked to the navamsha transits.
The Khara navamsha, 64th, its energies are similar to the Khara Drekkana. It lies in your 8th house. Significant transits of planets over this, especially of malefic planets, will cause some sort of ‘endings’ in your life. This can even be your own or your close family member’s physical death in case the longevity of the chart is at an end. Use the table of the navamsha signs above to find the 64th Navamsha starting from your birth Moon navamsha and from the ascendant degree navamsha. So you will get two significant navamshas, both of which can be called the 64th navamsha. The one counted from the Moon will give endings linked more to emotions and the one linked to the ascendant degree will give endings more on the material side.
Eg. for Crowley, the Khara navamsha,
- from the birth Moon is the 1st navamsha of the Libra sign, owned by Libra itself. He should brace himself for emotional shocks whenever a planet crosses this span of the zodiac arc.
- and from the ascendant degree is the 5th navamsha of the Capricorn sign owned by Taurus. So he should be ready for some unpleasant change in his material / physical environment whenever a planet crosses these degrees in the skies.
From this table, if your birth Moon or ascendant degree in Gemini sign – Aquarius navamsha, then Saturn currently at Shravan 2nd quarter, is transiting your Khara navamsha. Currently in the skies, Saturn is powerful and forward in his own sign and Mercury, (owner of Gemini) is debilitated in Libra. As you already know that this Saturn transit is not favourable for Gemini sign, he is transiting 8th from it. But to pinpoint the exact timing of the unfavourable results, use the Khara navamsha. So if you were born in Gemini sign Capricorn navamsha, ie your birth Moon or ascendant degree falls in this then you might be facing severe turmoil in life at this point of time, some things may have ended for you. You will get some relief after Saturn moves out from the 2nd quarter Shravan.
Next Saturn will enter the Shravan 3rd quarter, this is the 64th Navamsha for Gemini sign – Pisces navamsha borns. These people should take care then during his this upcoming transit.
When a slow moving planet transits the 64th navamsha, the things that this planet signifies in your life might come to a final end. Thus whatever Saturn signifies in your life may come to a conclusion during his this transit. eg If Saturn is connected to your 4th house then you may have to sell your house. Or if you have a birth planet in your Khara navamsha, you may be separated from what it means to you during this sensitive time. eg if he signifies your physical mother then take care of her during this time.
If there are any planets in the khara navamsha at birth then these planets will not be able to give very stable or satisfying results in life.
Some more ideas for you to explore with your sample charts,
The elements, the Nakshatra pad and the Navamsha. If you analyse the sequence of the navamsha in the nakshatra, then you will observe that the
- The 1st nakshatra pad/ navamsha is owned by fiery signs, Agni rashi ie Aries, Leo, Sagittarius. These are the natural Dharma trikon
- The 2nd nakshatra pad/navamsha is owned by earthy signs, Pruthvi rashi ie Taurus, Virgo, Capricorn, which make up the natural Arth trikon
- The 3rd nakshatra pad/navamsha is owned by airy signs, Vayu rashi ie Gemini, Libra, Aquarius, the natural Kama trikon
- The 4th nakshatra pad/navamsha is owned by watery signs, Jal rashi ie Cancer Scorpio Pisces the natural Moksh trikon.
So as a planet, especially a slower moving one, transits through the Nakshatra quarters, he sequentially change the flavour of his result from Dharma, Arth, Kama and finally Moksh. The planet initiates an activity, gives it meaning, fulfils all desires associated with that activity and finally saturates you with the experiences of that activity. Then he is ready to move on into the activity indicated by the next Nakshatra in sequence. This cycle repeats endlessly.
You can similarly analyse current events using Jupiter’s navamsha transits, he stays in one navamsha for about 1.5 months or so. Eg in the current time if he is in a positive Tara amsha for you then he will grant you something that is pleasing to your mind, eg the if he stands for your life partner, you will be given a chance to be reunited with him/ her.
eg Today Jupiter is in Dhanishtha 2nd quarter. For Crowley, Dhanishtha is his Mitra tara, so during this time the Jupiter things/ people will be more friendly disposed towards him. But if Jupiter has to give him some specific result then this will be more likely during 15th – 31st Dec 2021 as Jupiter then will be transiting the Dhanishtha 4th pad, ie the specific Mitra tara amsha.
Rahu and Ketu stay in one navamsha for about 1 month or so. As they are kroor graha their way of giving results will be always turbulent. After this turbulence, if they are auspicious for you then they will give pleasing results or if not then unfavourable results are to be expected.
Try to refine your predictive ability by observing your sample charts, the events in these people’s lives and the movement of the planets in the skies.
(Someone recently said that I am writing only on heavy duty astrology. Todays post is an example. So if my readers want me to write on specific topics apart from astrology, Reiki, Runes, Tarot, Cartomancy, general essay etc etc types do let me know. Will write on something different next week. Thanks 🙂 )