The houses 6th, 8th and 12th are called the dushamsthana or the houses of turmoil. The 6th is the house where you ‘serve or suffer’. The 8th is the house of catastrophic transformations and the 12th is the house of loss of the manifested. Even the 3rd house is a potentially problematic house under the shadows, if not balanced by benefic forces it can give very strange results! Then of the 9 planets of vedic astrology, 5 planets, Sun, Mars, Saturn, Rahu and Ketu are by nature cruel/ malefic. So one might feel that the ratio of benefic/malefic forces in the chart tilts more towards the malefic!
But there are special combinations/Yog where the malefic planets can actually give positive results, more than the traditional benefic planets. This is a form of reversal where technically cruel planets give very favourable results. One example I have written about here is the Yogkarak planets. In such reversal of results, often there is a trend, where initially you suffer due to some reasons and then suddenly something gets triggered and there is a reversal of fortunes and you rise spectacularly because of the very same reasons. This trigger can be the maturity of the planets involved or a planetary period /Dasha.
Now a bit about the houses of turmoil and how interactions between these houses and their owner planets can propel your chart to heights. (There should be no other planets placed with these owners of turmoil in the same house, if so then this yog fails to give its positive results.) So,
- When just these planets are placed in the 3rd, 6th, 9th or 12th houses in the birth chart. Or weakened by mutual interaction, or debilitated etc (this either in the birth chart D-1 or the 9th divisional chart/navamsha D-9)
- Here their power to give negative results is reduced. Negative forces destroying other negative forces!
- When the planetary forces of turmoil interact with each other, they end up damaging each other thus reducing their propensity to give negative results. The chart as a whole will benefit.
- This is seen practically as enemies, diseases, debtors and other evil influences in life are blocked. Enemies fall and you rise, often spectacularly.
- Or they are very strong and placed in the 1st, 4th, 7th and 9th (kendra) houses or the 5th or 9th (kona) houses.
- In such a case, you may not rise in life yourself but you will gain through the rise of your friends and well-wishers.
- If they are placed in the Kendra/Kona and linked (aspect or conjunct) to the ascendant lord. In this case they sort of transfer their powers to the Ascendant lord and the chart gains.
- In this case you rise yourself thus gain.
If the lord of the 6th is placed in the 6th, 8th or 12th, then you can expect to win over your enemies, stay out of debt and to be blessed by good health. Also will have luck on your side, professionally and a good reputation on the social and monetary front.
If the lord of the 8th is placed in the 6th, 8th or 12th, you will be bold and face the challenges in your life with a lot of confidence and strength. You will embrace change and flow with the transformational energies in your life. Good decision making abilities and an ability to focus on important information will ensure that you will never shirk from the conflicts in life.
The lord of the 12th house placed in the 6th, 8th or 12th will grant a happy and independent personality. You will always look for opportunities and avenues, even in a potentially bad situation, you can find ways to make it favourable for you. You will have a good professional life with wealth and social reputation.
(This rule is not applicable to Mars and Venus when as ascendant lord, they also own a dushamsthana. This happens only in these, for Aries ascendant, Scorpio is 8th, for Taurus ascendant Libra is 6th for Libra ascendant Taurus is 2nd and for Scorpio ascendant Aries is 6th house.)
Some people thrive on challenges, they seem to take on challenges and convert them into opportunities. Difficulties come but they give results exactly opposite to what is generally expected. They are ultimately beneficial and favourable to the person. These are reversals so for these situations are always linked to the downfall of the agents represented by the 6th, 8th and 12th houses. So you have to be alert and make the most of the opportunity which will most likely come suddenly. Remove a thorn with a thorn always works here. And finally, if the powers of the lords of the 6th, 8th and 12th are reversed in this way they give material benefits of all sorts but practically nil spiritual benefits. Btw, what is favourable and unfavourable is ultimately decided by our lens of perception, our mind i.e. the position of our birth Moon. A superbly placed Moon is worth a hundred ‘yog’/planetary combinations!
(These combinations are referred to as the Vipreet Rajyog in Jyotish. But rather than being put off by complicated names, it is always more helpful to understand the logic. Jyotish is mathematics, not superstition and learning by rote!)