Vimshottari dasha analysis is something that every astrologer needs to know. The planets control parts of your life in a sequence which is called a Dasha. There are several Dasha systems but Vimshottari deserves a special place of its own and is the first Dasha system you will learn.
In case this detailed analysis is beyond you at the moment, I have written two basic posts, here and here with a brief analysis of the Mahadashas based on which houses the planets own in your chart.
The Vimshottari Maha-Dasha cover a human life span of 120 yrs and the sequence is,
- Ketu Mahadasha is 7years,
- Venus mahadasha is the longest at 20 Years,
- Sun Mahadasha is the shortest at 6 Years,
- Moon Mahadasha is 10 Years,
- Mars Mahadasha is 7 Years,
- Rahu Mahadasha is 18 Years,
- Jupiter Mahadasha is 16 Years,
- Saturn mahadasha is 19 Years and
- Mercury Mahadasha is 17 Years.
Depending on which Nakshatra your Moon is in at the time of your birth, ie your Janma Nakshatra, you will begin your sequence. This start point is most important so ensure that you have your accurate birth time before doing Dasha analysis.
If your birth moon Nakshatra/ Lunar mansion is Rohini, Hasta or Shravan, then you will have your Moon Mahadasha/ main period going on at your birth. The balance of the planet’s dasha period remaining at birth is calculated using the location (arc degree/ minute/ second) of Moon in the nakshatra. If you get this birth time wrong, your starting point will be wrong thus your entire life-time’s calculation will also go wrong.
For the other birth Nakshatras, the Moon Mahadasha can occur at any point of time in the above sequence. But the Moon’s sub-periods/ Antardashas in the other planets Mahadashas will also carry his flavour.
Open your Vedic Jyotish software and open the Dasha section. If there are options here, input the ‘Vimshottari’ system. You have to see two things from here,
- At the present time, which planet’s Mahadasha/ main-period and which planet’s Antardasha/ sub-period is going on for you
- And at the time of your birth, which Mahadasha was going on.
If either of these, ie your ongoing Mahadasha or the birth Mahadasha is/ was of the Moon, then this post is for you,
First a generic description, assuming that the Moon in your birth chart is favourable for you.
If you were born in Moon Mahadasha then, you are more comfortable around women in general, you are especially close to your mother, feel strongly about your traditions and homeland. You have a family who cares for you. Your basic mind and body are both strong and healthy and the overall personality remains balanced. Communicative, reasonable, attractive, popular, pleasant to be with, a generally active personality. You are receptive to external influences and often modulate these to help you grow. But you are not very forthcoming about your own self, you keep your secrets well and trust only rarely. You have a caring nature, a supportive sort of a person, generous by nature but you can equally get shrewd, narrow minded, jealous and self-centred.
If you are undergoing the Moon Mahadasha now in your life then in this Moon Mahadasha, you will be more focussed on yourself, your needs, your comforts, your growth, your family, your love, your ancestral traditions, family gods etc. Your mother or other maternal figures will be more important in life. You will be taken care of, ie given the nurture, nutrition, love that you need. More settled in life, you might develop regular habits, feel creative, improve personal care, opt for a healthy lifestyle etc. That things which support you as a person will help you grow significantly. You will be able to set up routines for a healthier you. Buying your own house or landed property is possible or shifting into your own personal home is possible. People in professions related to the 4th house or the Moon will see growth, ie homeland security, teaching, home-makers, dealers in liquids, transport, drugs, architects, etc. You might be recognised for something, get awards. Marriage and child-birth is also possible in this period. In these 10yrs you will be required to balance karma related to the position of the Moon in your chart. Caring for others or ensuring that your emotions were being satisfied. Whatever the Moon is supposed to give you in your life will be given in this time. You will go through an emotional period, uplifting or damaging.
If the Mahadasha comes at an age after the maturity period of the Moon then the energies of the Dasha can be utilised consciously thus more effectively. If you are older than 48yrs, then during this Mahadasha it is likely that you will become the understanding and mature elder yourself. You will gain more insights into the working of your own Mind. It can be a very enriching experience. Even if you are older than 28yrs, this time can help self-discovery as you understand yourself more deeply. If you are younger than 28yrs then you will receive what you need from your elders to grow.
If your birth Moon is in Cancer or ascendant sign is Cancer then this Mahadasha will be especially significant for you.
Now to tailor these predictions for your personal life. This requires some basic understanding of Jyotish. (Here is a post on how to begin learning astrology systematically).
Step 1 is to know the aspects of life represented by the Moon and the power he has to deliver his results. You should know what he is going to give you, only then predicting the timing will be of any use. One graha is going to be directly responsible for so many things and indirectly influence so many more things in life. To keep things simple, learn to use keywords and create patterns using these.
- Moon in your birth chart (divisional chart 1/D-1).
- He is placed in which house and in which sign? Thus which parts of your life is he controlling?
- Eg Moon in 3rd house will be in charge of your siblings, income from trade, your hands, the internal confidence to take necessary actions, skills, practicality, etc. So in his Mahadasha expect these aspects of life to be more prominent in your life.
- Eg if the Moon is any way connected to the 2nd or 7th houses then he can help in gaining money/ resources, good family life etc but this Dasha can also be linked to the timing of physical death. So do a quick check on longevity.
- Which houses does he own? i.e. Cancer is placed in which house?
- Eg Cancer placed in the 11th house will mean that the Moon is in charge of your friend circle, like minded groups, all gains in life, money from speculation, older siblings, etc. naturally these things will be more significant in your life now.
- The ruler of the sign he is placed in, is he a friend/ neutral/ enemy planet. How comfortable is he in the sign he is occupying?
- Is the Moon exalted/debilitated? Naturally an exalted Moon will give more pleasing results than a debilitated Moon.
- Which planets is he conjoint/ aspected by? Thus which other aspects of the personality is he influencing directly and indirectly. If he is influenced by benefics then more favourable and pleasing results if by malefics then stress.
- Eg Moon conjoint Mars in the 10th house. This will mean that Moon is in charge of the profession, social mobility, social image etc. But the Mars is now going to help by making his soft nature more bold, courageous, and allow him to take more risks in life. Thus the natural softness of the Moon is reinforced by the Martian qualities. And the natural aggression of Mars is tempered by the softness of the Moon.
- Has he matured? Is the Moon’s maturity being held back by conjunction with later maturing planets?
- Planets give more sensible results after maturity. His Dasha period after maturity will give more useful results.
- What kind of power does he have.
- And since this is the Moon, you have to analyse the Nakshatra that he occupies at birth, ie your Janma Nakshatra characteristics.
- He is placed in which house and in which sign? Thus which parts of your life is he controlling?
- Repeat this same analysis from the birth Moon sign, i.e the birth Moon chart. (Do this only if you feel upto it, this is for advanced students)
Re-orient your chart around and count your birth Moon sign as the first house. This is the Moon chart and this tells you about the psychological and emotional aspects of your life. How you will ‘feel’ about the Moon Mahadasha. The psychological and emotional aspects. These aspects of life can be completely different from what is happening on the physical level.
- And this same analysis using the divisional chart 9, Navamsha chart will give a perspective on the sub-conscious expectations and the sum total of Moon’s potential. (Not for beginners. Do this whenever you are a bit advanced in your study, else you will end up confusing yourself.)
Step 2 Smaller sub-periods within the main period/ Mahadasha are called successively Antardasha, Pratyantardasha, Sookshmadasha and Prandasha. The logic on how to analyse these even smaller units remains the same for each planetary owner of the sub/ sub periods. In this post we will learn to analyse up to the Subperiod, ie the Antardasha.
- Find out the power of the sub-period planetary lord and the aspects of life that he controls just like you did for the Moon above.
- Eg if you want to analyse the Moon Mahadasha and Jupiter antardasha, then you will have to find out both Moon’s and Jupiter’s power to give results.
- Then analyse the relationship between the Moon and the sub-period owner planet. If they are in the 6/8 or even the 12th from uncomfortable aspects, then that sub-lord’s sub-period will not be comfortable. If they are in the 5/9 axis it will be a favourable sub-period. The interaction between the planetary owners of the main-period and sub-period is quite important, take your time over it.
- eg Jupiter is in 5th house and Moon in 9th house this will be an extraordinary time. Both are in the pivotal Kona houses, and in the 5/9 axis from each other. This could be one of the best periods of your life. This would also be a Gajakesari yog. So they will give tremendous progress in the Moon Mahadasha’s Jupiter Antardasha.
- eg Jupiter in 11th house and Moon in 6th house in the birth chart. This time will not give good results. Moon in the 6th house of turmoil. Jupiter in the 11th is better placed for positive results. But they are mutually in the 6/8 axis. This is the Shakat yog, will give instability, ups and downs and significant confusion in the Moon Mahadasha’s Jupiter Antardasha.
Step 3 is the routine planetary transits /gochar. (Not for beginners. Do this analysis only if you have a good grasp of the fundamentals.) Transits can modify the results indicated by the Dasha system to some extent. So draw your birth chart (D-1) on a paper and superimpose the current planetary positions on it. Use a different pen so that you can make sense of the composite chart you are drawing. This is the last step you do.
Now to analyse the sub-periods/Antardasha of the Moon’s main period/Mahadasha. This is just a starting point for you to base your own analysis on.
- Moon antardasha
- If the Moon is capable of giving pleasant results, this can be a very significant period of growth depending on which houses he is in charge of in your chart. There will be internal stability which will trigger prosperity in all forms. Personal and professional successes, marriage, birth of children, promotions, good investments, increase in wealth, good health and emotional stability, your instinct will work for you etc. If this is so, then you must make the most of this Antardasha.
- If he is badly placed in your birth chart and inauspicious for you then emotional trauma, mental stress, physical ill health, loneliness, etc are possible in this first sub-period.
- This is the first sub-period, so observe events around you and yourself carefully. This will set the tone for the entire Mahadasha. If this period has been favourable, you can expect continued generally favourable results. If this period has given mixed or unpleasant results you must take care. Then predicting favourable results will depend on power of the Subperiod rulers of the subsequent Antardashas.
- Mars antardasha
- If Mars is powerful, then in this sub-period you will take risks to achieve what you want. Highly motivated, confident, during this time you will bulldoze your opponents and gain your desires. A favourable Mars allows to to change yourself and your surroundings as per your desire. This period can be very fruitful especially if you are connected in any way to the land, eg army professional, agriculturalist, builder etc.
- But if he is unable to give favourable results then overwork, have no time to rest, over-confidence, carelessness, anger, etc will be triggered. So pay attention to your health especially the blood related aspects. Your close family and siblings will be a source of trouble for you.
- Rahu antardasha
- If Rahu is capable of positive results, then this sub-period will make you want more than you have. Satisfaction will be less, you might spend more than you earn. Family may not support and professional life will not give happiness. But conversely all this will motivate you to work even harder and strive to gain more and more. You might achieve a lot of material gain during this period. However do not lie or cheat others during this time as it will backfire on you later. Try to do some Dharmic activity, eg pujas, pilgrimages, Mantra, Daan so as to keep the positivity coming in.
- But is Rahu is going to be unpleasant for you then, this time will give you stress, losses and trouble on the physical as well as the emotional levels. You will feel tired and dispirited. If Moon or Rahu is connected to the 2nd or 7th and the longevity is at an end then physical death can occur. Even otherwise, you will be surrounded by people and things which drain you. Especially beware of any new women in your life as they can cause you harm. Legal issues are a distinct possibility during this time.
- Jupiter antardasha
- If Jupiter is favourably disposed then this can be a great sub-period. Money, family, profession etc will all give happiness. Promotions, new jobs, better salary, more income are all possible. Long term investments or life time decisions during this period will be favourable. Travelling, pilgrimages etc will give pleasure. Education and learning will be encouraged. Both Moon and Jupiter are natural benefics so make the most of this time for growth and expansion. You will be known for something and there will be positivity in your life. Marriage, birth of children, job openings, educational prospects, health, wealth, spiritual mindset, pilgrimages, etc should be predicted as per the age in which the antardasha occurs. eg if the chart has some form of Gajakesari yog or a favourable Jupiter – Moon interaction you can achieve a lot during this sub period.
- If he is not aligned favourably with the Moon then he will give erratic results. Avoid getting into any illegal or dubious activity during this time as it will give you pain later. Your luck is not with you at this time so you might think that something is surely in your hands, but it will slip out at the last moment. eg if the birth chart has the Shakat yog then be careful about predicting highly positive results.
- Saturn antardasha
- If Saturn and Moon together in your birth chart are capable of favourable results then this period can give some benefits. But you will have to work harder. Tiredness, delays, frustrations and loneliness will be there to some extent. You might feel afraid internally. Increase in stress will naturally affect health and happiness. You will be harsher with others and this can spoil relationships. Disputes with your family or mother specifically related to land, home and assets can occur. But try to see the fair and legal position of things rather than giving way to emotions. Try to work with facts and see the practical side of things. If used intelligently, this period will give you long lasting gains. Doing some puja will help you magnify the positivity.
- In case he is not favourable then these negative effects as above will continue with no respite. You will be unable to make sense of the events around you and remain distressed.
- Mercury antardasha
- Both Moon and Mercury are natural benefics so this sub-period can be quite favourable to you. Here you can expect better relations with your siblings, trade related gains may pick up, stock market and investment options may be good, education opportunities will open up. Marriage, children, job etc whatever is a ‘happy outcome’ for your mind, will occur. Your logical mind will support you and you will have the necessary boldness to achieve your goals. You will have and use your skills to resolve any lingering issues from the previous Saturn sub-period.
- But if they are unable to work together they will cause you pain, disappointment, ill health, mental stress, legal trouble etc. Avoid breaking the law or engaging in high risk speculations as loss of money is quite possible.
- Ketu antardasha
- if Ketu in your birth chart can give favourable results, then this can be a short but intensely spiritual time. You will feel disconnected from the people and things around you as your inner worlds are more alluring to your mind. Or if your birth chart is of the material sort then gains from secret sources, unexpected opportunities and gains are possible. Secret tips, insights, lucky guesses etc will help you as your intuition will be high.
- But if there is a possibility of unpleasant results, then this time can be disturbing, mental stresses, loneliness, psychic interference, restlessness, etc. If Moon or Ketu is connected to the 2nd or 7th and the longevity is at an end then physical death can occur.
- Venus antardasha
- If Venus and Moon are capable of giving auspicious results together then this sub period can be a very rewarding one on several levels. Value, validation, nature, nurture, nutrition will be provided to you. Both the types of love ie needy love and equitable love will be available in your life. All your desires and wants will be fulfilled and you will be happy. Inner satisfaction, balance, fairness etc will be on a high. Depending on the physical age in which this sub-period comes, you might start some meditative practice or get married or birth of children or higher education is possible. Either way this will be a good time and do make the most of it. Money, family and good times are indicated.
- But if Venus and Moon are unable to give pleasant results together then these very same things will be denied to you. There will be imbalance, unmet needs, loneliness and scarcity. Loss of money, resources, assets is possible.
- Sun antardasha
- this is the chidra dasha, the ‘cutting off’ sub-period, the last antardasha of the Moon’s mahadasha. This is a time of review. You consolidate all that you experienced in your Moon mahadasha and cut off all that you failed to learn. The Moon will have given you opportunities for emotional fulfilment. Your relationship with your mother, maternal relatives, home culture, traditions, landed property etc were in focus. ‘Need’ based love relationships or nurturing relationships.
- Now the Sun is personal confidence, ego, self entitlement. ‘Selfishness’ will clean out the Moon persona and prepare for the Mars persona which is to follow. You feel a new rush of energy in you. The Sun will prepare a dispassionate list of things of what you gave and what was received. If you have given more, you might suddenly find these dependant others being systematically cut off. Only the basic unavoidable relationships which you intellectually feel necessary will be sustained by this Sun. All the opportunities for emotional fulfilment, ‘Need’ based love relationships will be consolidated. The softness and gentleness of the Moon will be gradually replaced by qualities of Mars, which is the next Mahadasha in sequence.
- But in the last Sun Antardasha, you will decisively end all emotionally draining things. And for those emotionally uplifting things, you will remove their emotional parts and appreciate them on an intellectual level.
- If the Sun is capable of giving positive results, there will be improvement in personal health, vitality, finances, status and power. You will also become more distant from others. ‘Neediness’ will be reduced in all ways.
- If he is not auspicious for you, even then he will work in the same direction but the process will be painful, stressful. You will face arguments, fevers, ill health, exit of a maternal figure, cut off from the homeland, selfishness from others etc sort of results.
Everyone who wants to learn astrology should analyse their own horoscope first. It is quite easy to predict major events in life and with some practice you can predict minor events too. Get into the habit of pulling out your own chart for a detailed analysis every 6 months. Look at the Dasha periods and transits that will happen over the next 6 months, try to predict 1-2 things which might happen. These can be very simple things to being with, eg some disturbance over the 4th house = some issue related to mother. Some positivity over the 10th house = a pleasant time in the office. Tally these predictions 6 months later, be systematic about it and evaluate for yourself how accurate you are getting.
Finally remedies can be used to set any unbalanced energies right. These are basically three,
Behavioural, ie you understand what is happening to you and try to intelligently and consciously modulate your behaviour in a way most appropriate to the situation. This requires significant control over the Mind and not everyone can do this. But if you are doing your regular spiritual practice then this becomes inbuilt in your nature.
Mantra- You use the power of the Devbhasha Samskrutam and your own intentions to change the course of the event energies. Mantras of the Moon can be used during his Mahadasha, especially do something every Monday. Or any of these activities which enhance his power. Or mantra of the Bhagwan Shankar also work well enough.
Daana – You give away the unbalanced energies to a Consciousness capable of absorbing them, a worthy Brahmin, a deity or a river/sea, this is the real meaning of Daana.