Jupiter goes retrograde for about 4 months every year and about 22% of us have a retrograde Jupiter in the birth chart (post here). In addition, all of us go through the transit effects of retrograde Jupiter every year. Retrograde planets in transit indicate that this is a time to review and redo things. So now, if you have made any mistakes or serious blunders or left things halfway in the recent past, Jupiter will help you revise all this stuff and complete things or at least bring them to a logical conclusion. If any negativity has happened in your life in the recent past, eg betrayal from others, losses, pain, restlessness, etc then now Jupiter will help you make sense of all this. You will either be able to give a befitting reply to these things, set them right from your point of view or wrap them up in a way which gives you some positive benefit.
At the present time, Jupiter will be going retrograde in transit in his own Pisces sign for 119 days from 29th Jul 2022 to 24th Nov 2022. He will be going retrograde at 1:26am Indian standard time, so technically the vaar/solar day is still Guruvar and the lunar day/ tithi is Ashadh Amavasya (amavasyant maas). The Ashadh month is the most secretive month of the year and this is one of the major Amavasyas. (we do pujas of Deepaks in the evening Sandhyakaal). The next tithi/lunar day is the start of the Shravan month, the Shukla pratipada. The Moon is in Pushya nakshatra so the auspicious Guru Pushyamrut yog is operating. Point being, Jupiter is going retrograde at a very significant time.
During this retrograde, Jupiter will be will be moving within the Uttarabhadrapada nakshatra which is linked to Saturn. This is one positive, he will neither be changing his sign nor his nakshatra during this retrograde. He will be aspected throughout this time by Saturn who is presently in Capricorn.
The other significant events are,
- Saturn is retrograde from 5th Jun to 23rd Oct
- Mars will be retrograde from 30th Oct till 13th Jan
- Mercury will be retrograde between 10th Sep – 2nd Oct
- Venus will be combust from 2nd Oct to 18th Nov
- Malika yog for 3 days 22-24th Aug
- Partial Solar eclipse on Deepavali Amavasya
The other planets, Saturn, Mercury and Mars going retrograde and forward will affect the results expected from Jupiter. Saturn retrograde can cause unforeseen delays in your work schedule, trigger karma and tire you out. Mars retrograde will add his flavour of repressed and misdirected aggression, overconfidence and failure. Mercury retrograde will encourage selfishness, miscommunication, illogical behaviour, block on creativity and financial losses. Venus combust will reduce auspiciousness and fairness, increase heartbreaks and cause financial losses. Overall this time requires all of us to revise, rethink, rework and redo things which have happened in the past few months.
As per the standard Jyotish texts (post here), Jupiter’s transits are seen from the birth Moon sign. He is generally favourable in the 2nd 5th 7th 9th and 11th houses from the birth Moon sign. And unfavourable in the houses counted 1st 3rd 4th 6th 8th 10th and 12th from the birth Moon. If we analyse just this, Jupiter in Pisces, he is generally favourable for Aquarius, Scorpio, Virgo, Cancer and Taurus and not so favourable for the remaining signs. Karma and its unfolding is always more connected to the birth Moon (post here). However, if your ascendant sign is powerful, you can count from the ascendant sign to get additional information.
But now that he is retrograde, some of us who were suffering will gain some relief from the negativity. Especially those with their birth Moon in Uttarbhadrapada, Pushya or Anuradha nakshatra will see a positive change after the turbulence of these past few months. Overall all the signs will be able to make positive use of the retrograde, except Aries, Leo and Libra, who should be more careful during the retrograde as sudden unexpected events may cause stress.
- Pisces who has been dealing with the subtle negativity of the Janma Guru will also gain in some way. Health, relationships etc will improve and it will be appreciated for all that it does. Significant amount of money will come in.
- Aquarius can get some financial windfall or some sort of a legacy, but it needs to be careful about using this money. Chances of squandering this asset is a real possibility.
- Capricorns will be able to take bold decisions and profit but do refrain from becoming overambitious and unpleasant else this will backfire after Jupiter becomes forward again.
- Sagittarius will improve its finances but will make enemies on the home front as it becomes more arrogant.
- Scorpio will become cruel and act in unethical or immoral ways which will land it in trouble later.
- Libra will gain strength to overcome its enemies and options may open up on the professional front.
- Virgo will gain from partnerships but should careful not to get too emotionally involved, remain practical so as to retain the profits.
- Leo will strongly move towards spirituality after at least one unpleasant event.
- Cancer will gain knowledge and will be able to use this practically to promote itself in society.
- Gemini will be able to confidently use its professional knowledge and skills in the office to make some significant improvement on the career front..
- Taurus will network and communicate with long lost friends, pressure groups and important people thus gain both money and reputation during this period.
- Aries will turn to mediative activities but there may be a couple of unpleasant events to go through first.
During this period, all of us can achieve significant spiritual goals. Especially if you have been doing pujas with specific intentions or specific anushthans or Daan or even your daily pujas sincerely, you will feel the difference now as Jupiter turns retrograde. You will get the actual physical positives on the material level.
If you have your birth Jupiter retrograde then you will see a positive change during this transit retrograde. You will be able to complete projects or pick up some long pending work and finish it or capitalise projects abandoned by others, etc. It is possible that you may be appreciated for the work that you do during this period, so keep an eye out for such projects which may come your way.
If you are born with your birth Jupiter retrograde then you are introspective, have a unique approach to education, religion, spirituality, culture etc. You are hard working, ethical, kind hearted, benevolent, helpful and philosophical. A powerful retrograde Jupiter can indicate an evolved soul who does not accept ‘modern philosophy’, but sticks to the proven systems. You have a different way of seeing things, perceptive, you can pick up hidden things and subtle cues, anticipate future issues in the future etc. You can be cheated by ‘gurus’, so choose your spiritual guides carefully. There will be a very strong urge to turn towards the spiritual during this time frame.
Uttarabhadrapada nakshatra is ruled by the deity Ahirbudhnya and linked to Saturn. It represents the two back legs of a cot, specifically a funeral cot. It is linked to deep knowledge, wisdom, trance like states, secrets, enlightenment through dissolution, etc. It is a versatile nakshatra and can perform competently in life. Outwardly flexible and internally rigid, it clear about its own self. It is a Kshatriya nakshatra and takes its Dharma seriously.
Jupiter going retrograde in Uttarabhadrapada can lead to laziness or complacency, shyness, insecurity, over empathy, misplaced sympathy, over calculative nature, etc which leads to issues later. There will be an internal simmering righteous anger about the situations that you find yourself in. You will try to find reasonable solutions at first but most likely this anger may be released via a dispassionate sort of destructive behaviour. You will want to move towards the higher spiritual often at the cost of the immediate material. The middle 10days of the Bhadrapad month will see a greater release of this nakshatra’s energy.
If we consider the attributes of the Nakshatra quarters, then Jupiter in the 4th quarter of Uttarabhadrapada, will create situations with intensity, violence, unexpected turns, a layer of cleverly created confusion hiding the reality. In the 3rd quarter, there will be an attempt to restore balance as things quieten down again. In the 2nd pad, there will be more detailed planning and strategic action but the focus will be on benefiting the individual rather than the collective. And in the 1st quarter, there will be clarity coupled with a sense of achievement.
The energies of this lunar mansion are best channelised into activities which are performed in solitude, eg meditation, research, planning, creative work etc. It does not favour actions which require instant reactions or immediate responses.
As a general rule, a strong birth chart can tide over all temporary events created by the transits. So if your birth Moon, ascendant lord, and ascendant sign are powerful, then you have an inherent capacity to convert negatives into positives. You will also have to read this transit in context of your individual charts. When analysing an individual chart, keep your eyes open for all sorts of patterns which the planets make, using the following points.
- consider the power of the birth Jupiter, at least use the Ishta kashta phala values
- the houses he controls – ie where does Pisces and Sagittarius lie in your chart,
- his functional nature – is he a functional malefic or a functional benefic in your chart,
- the planets he is aspected by or conjoint with or aspecting.
- check which house Jupiter is transiting over (post here).
- Or if Jupiter in transit crosses over any planet from your birth chart (post here).
- eg If your Ascendant is Cancer and Moon is in your 9th Pisces. Now Jupiter transiting over Pisces will influence this Moon, but as he is transiting over your ascendant lord, this will be an auspicious transit for you, irrespective everything else.
- Jupiter aspects the 5th 7th 9th houses from his position and enhances their positive and auspicious results. Jupiter in Pisces will increase the positive results of Cancer, Virgo and Scorpio, so you can expect some benefits from these areas of life.
- Depending on your level of study you can check out the Ashtakvarga score of Jupiter in Pisces and the power of Pisces sign to give favourable results (post here).
- The Janma Navtara table (post here) can also be used for quick analysis.
- For subtle level analysis the Kota chakra (post here) can be used.
- Also consider the Dasha periods that you are undergoing. Mahadasha and Antardasha of favourable planets will enhance positive results. But if you are in the Dasha periods of functional malefics then you should take adequate precautions.
Remedies, as always, are only two, Daan (post here) and Mantra (post here). If you can do a regular spiritual practice or even a daily puja, any routine activity, it will help you increase your overall strength which will help you in all ways.
Jupiter going retrograde will also have his impact on the national and global events.
Prices of food items, grains, ghee, medicines, essential supplies etc will increase. This will cause a resentment against the elected governments. Weather will remain erratic. In Bharat randomly excessive rains and floods and lack of rains are going to cause problems in agriculture. At least one severe earthquake expected in the Asian region. Expect a change in the political systems, governments, or at least the portfolios of the ministers. Horse trading, politicians changing their parties etc all is possible. In short there will be confusion and lack of coherent policy or philosophy at the political levels. Judicial interference in the functioning of the elected governments will lead to an eventual loss of face for the judicary. People will protest against it. (Combust Venus opposite retrograde Jupiter.) War like situations will continue and now more nations will get sucked into the conflict. Nations to the west of Bharat are now on the downward slope (have mentioned this in several posts). Economy will continue its collapse. Abhorrent and unnatural lifestyles will be promoted as strong foundations and the governments will take action against them as the common people will now start protesting against erosion of long held values. A Malika yog, where 8 planets are in 8 continuous signs is going to occur on 22-24th Aug, (from Pisces Jupiter to Libra Ketu) this will cause at least one significant event. This will be traumatic or positive depending on the nation’s birth chart. And the solar eclipse on the Deepavali Amavasya will also cause several changes with far reaching effects.
Jupiter is retrograde, but is neither changing his sign nor his nakshatra which makes him very powerful. It is his own sign and a Saturn linked lunar mansion. So he will force people to get into philosophy and spirituality, ie Dharma. Those who do so sincerely, will be able to manage their karmic pendency better. Those who fail to do so will face a severe karmic backlash.