Sometimes you see very small children suffering despite having a reasonably good family, personal horoscope and on-going Dasha. So you look at the transits and find the quite unexpected reason, Saturn! Saturn is the agent of restrictions, dullness, dourness, discipline, karma rebalance and if is active in very small children can give rise to a life time of deep seated issues.
Eg I know a small child who from birth till the age of 2+yrs went through a lot of stress, which included the death of his own mother, lack of overt love, confusions about food/ clothing/ medical care, illness, arguments among his elders, overall vitiated home atmosphere etc, this despite belonging to a very rich family where everyone was genuinely concerned about him. The horoscope had a rather inauspiciously placed Saturn in the 4th house. And this Saturn at birth was at the very initial degrees of the 4th house, ie had just entered the 4th house.
Our early childhood including the pregnancy period is responsible for shaping our body and minds. Our deepest life patterns are laid out during this crucial period and are often fixed for life. Changing them can be extremely difficult. We do not have any control over the events of these crucial initial years. The first seven years of life (and the pregnancy period) are dominated by the mother. In the next seven years of life, ie upto 14yrs, the father (spiritual teacher and birth father both) plays a larger role and the influence of the mother slowly shifts to the background. Only after the age of 14yrs when two chakra development cycles are complete, do we start exerting some real control over ourselves and our surroundings.
In astrology we recognise the force of inter-related karma. If you know your parent’s birth times, analyse them and their horoscopes in depth, you might get valuable cues about yourself. The role of the mother is very important. She has ‘created’ you for 9 months, then nourished and nurtured you when you were a small baby. The role of the father (and the spiritual teacher) is no less important. If your Mom created the body, your Dad has created the self-ego, self-discipline, social status and the self-esteem that go with it. The spiritual teacher, Guru, has created the philosophy, the foundation for you to base your life upon. Interconnected karma is real.
(Eg. I am not scared of anything, but there were a few years when was a layer of fear over everything I did, including my spiritual practices. This time was dominated by my Moon and my Mom’s in-built influences on me. My Mom was even more intuitive/ psychic etc than me, but she was scared of the stuff that she could see/ do. Our Guru would constantly tell her to not be afraid. She conquered her all consuming fear at the moment of her physical death and used that energy of transition perfectly, which is what ultimately matters. The point is that this fear of the ‘other stuff ’ was a part of my karma too and for a brief period I had to endure to rebalance my karma. Our parent’s karma are linked to ours very deeply. If we analyse our parents, we understand our own selves better.)
Back to the baby and his Saturn.
This is a list of the unfavourable transits of a planet from his own birth position. Try to remember these positions,
- Saturn gives unfavourable results when he transits in the same house as his own birth position. That’s why the ‘Saturn return’ at the age of around 27.5yrs is quite dreaded! Saturn stays for a very long, 2.5yrs in one sign and takes 30yrs to complete one cycle of the zodiac.
- Similarly Ketu is unfavourable in transit when in the 2nd house from his birth position. He stays for a longish 1.5yrs in one sign. He travels in the retrograde motion so the ‘2nd from’ position will come around 16.5yrs and then repeat every 18yrs.
- Rahu will give unfavourable results when he transits the 9th house from his birth position. He is the same as Ketu, stays for 1.5yrs in one sign. The ‘9th from’ position will come for the first time at about 4.5yrs of age and then repeat every 18yrs.
- Jupiter’s transit is unfavourable in the 3rd house counted from his birth position. He stays for 1yr in one sign. This ‘3rd from’ position will happen around the 2-3 yrs and will repeat every 12yrs.
- Mars is unfavourable in the 7th house transit from his birth position. He stays for about 2-3 months in one sign. Except when he goes retrograde once in two years and then stays for 6mths in that sign.
- Venus is similarly unfavourable when transiting the 6th house from his own birth position. He stays for about 2-3 months in one sign.
- Mercury’s transit in the 4th house from his birth position is unfavourable. He stays for 1-2 months in one sign.
- Sun when transiting the 5th house from his birth position. He stays for 1 month in one sign, and covers 12signs in one year. If you are in the habit of observing yourself, you might have noticed that the 5th month from your birth month is quite hectic and tires you out.
- And finally Moon gives unfavourable results when transiting the 8th house from his own birth position. He stays for 2.25days in one sign.
If you follow planetary transits, take note of these positions of the planets in transit. Whatever they signify will be unfavourable for you during this typical transit period.
Saturn. If a baby is born with the birth Saturn placed at the very start of the house, then he will have a difficult time till Saturn exits that house. Whatever Saturn stands for in his chart will be restricted, denied, held back. And its deep impact will last for a life time. Saturn’s movement is quite slow, so this period can be upto 2.5yrs of life, which for a baby can be quite tedious. Time passes extremely slowly for a baby, as proved by differential maths. You might have noticed this, when you were a child, the days seemed to stretch on, the summer vacation was like a never ending break. But now you are older and time literally flies, tempus fugit.
- eg. the rising sign is 15deg Aries, Saturn is placed at 2deg Cancer, this means that Saturn has just entered the 4th house and will remain here for about 2.5yrs more. So he will be placed ‘1st from’ his birth position for the next 2.5yrs. He will have full scope to give his unfavourable effects during this period.
- eg. the rising sign is 15deg Aries, Saturn is placed at 29 deg Cancer, this means that Saturn will be exiting the 4th house very shortly and soon will be placed ‘2nd from his birth position’. His unfavourable effects will be limited.
My own birth Saturn is in a similar position and till the age of 2.5yrs I was a ‘difficult baby’, always crying, unable to sleep. Saturn for me, represents my karmic bindings to the other dimensions. And I do have memories of that ‘baby-hood’, I was seeing too many thing, stuff not from this dimension and it was scary, but a baby can only cry to express itself! Seeing clients can sometimes help you in resolving your own deep confusions.
The birth position is fixed at that instant of birth. After this whatever happens in the sky becomes a part of the ‘transit’ combinations. The other planets also go unfavourable periodically as per the list above, but Saturn gives the most evident effects. He is the slowest so literally grinds into and takes his time, slowly but steadily. His nature is to constrict, to reduce, to discipline, he does not show overt love etc which for a small baby/ child can have a life time impact. Saturn is fear personified. So for a new baby, Saturn remaining on in the same house as the birth Saturn is technically a ‘transit’. And Saturn is unfavourable when he transits same house as his birth house position. It is just because we never get a 1yr old baby client complaining about his nutrition/ nurture etc, that we never realise this effect. This period can be quite difficult for the baby/ small child.
If you have a small baby in the house, do keep track of the unfavourable planets transits as above, especially the ones which will occur when he is very young and cannot speak/ communicate. And if you yourself have had such intense transits when you were a baby/ small child, try to analyse them so that you can resolve your own deep seated linked issues.