I have written a very detailed post here on Vimshottari dasha analysis, generally on how evaluate the effects of planets during their planetary periods. This post is about the time periods controlled by Jupiter. Here are two posts on a short-cut analysis based on which houses these the planets own.
Now Jupiter Mahadasha will follow Rahu Mahdasha in sequence. If your birth moon Nakshatra/ Lunar mansion is Punarvasu, Vishakha or Purvabhadrapada you will have your Jupiter Mahadasha going on at your birth. The balance of the planet’s dasha period remaining at birth is calculated using the location (degree/minute/second) of the Moon in the nakshatra. If you get this birth time wrong your starting point will be wrong thus your entire life-time’s calculation will go wrong.
And then of course Jupiter’s sub-periods/ Antardasha in other planet’s Mahdasha will also carry his flavour.
Jupiter mahadasha is quite long, a full 16 years. If he is well placed this period can be extraordinary covering a lot of life’s major activities, education, marriage, children, health and profession. This post is a framework post in which you will add your keywords depending on the planetary positions in your own chart. Here you will learn how to analyse Jupiter’s period yourself. If you already know a bit of astrology then go through the stepwise analysis. If you just want to know the overall indications then you can skip forward to the actual general results further below.
Step 1 is to know the aspects of life which Jupiter represents and the power he has to deliver his results.
- Jupiter in your birth chart (also called the divisional chart 1/D-1).
- Which house and in which sign is he placed? Which aspects of life is he controlling? If he is controls the dushamstan, 6th house, 8th house or 12th house then there might be some unpleasant material results.
- Is he in the sign of a friend/neutral/enemy planet.
- Is he exalted/debilitated?
- Which planets is he conjoint/ aspected by? Thus which other aspects of the personality is he influencing directly and indirectly.
- Has he matured? Is your client yet to reach the maturity age of Jupiter or is the maturity being held back by conjunction with later maturing planets? Jupiter matures quite early in life but e.g. if he is conjoint Rahu he will mature at 48yrs!
- Is he retrograde?
- Is he combust?
- You can repeat this same analysis from the birth Moon sign to get the effects that this Jupiter Mahadasha is going to have on the emotional aspects. Rotate the chart around and place the sign containing the Moon in the first house and re-draw the chart. These aspects of life will often be completely different from what is happening on the physical level. (If you find this complicated, do it whenever you feel more confident.)
- And this same analysis using the divisional chart 9, Navamsha chart will give a perspective on the sub-conscious expectations and also the sum total of Jupiter’s potential. (If you find this complicated, do it whenever you feel more confident.)
A simple example, if in a chart, in D-1 – Jupiter is the owner of 1st house, Sagittarius and 4th house, Pisces. Jupiter is placed in 4th house house, Pisces (this becomes a Kendra-adhi-pati combination!). Moon is in 10th house Virgo. In D-9, this Jupiter shifts to the 2nd house in his exaltation sign Libra (the D9 is the navamsha divisional chart which gives the deepest potential of the planets) Thus Jupiter-Moon in D-1 are placed in the favourable 7/7 opposite axis. Period of Jupiter will give emotional happiness. Also the sub period of Moon in the main period of Jupiter will give beneficial results. Jupiter is the ascendant lord so in his periods will give expansions to the personality and create an enabling environment. So during overall Jupiter’s period there will be a sub-conscious expectation of money, family time, happiness, speaking out, gains from/to the family. The physical environment will grant lots of interactions, validation, money, resources, good times, with family, property, mother, females in general, siblings, bosses, culture, traditions, society and profession. But the person will not be able to make the most of these material opportunities because of his essentially mild nature, the kendra-adhi-pati effect. But as the emotional expectations will be satisfied the period will go by reasonably well.
Step 2 Smaller segments are called successively Antar-dasha, Pratyantar-dasha, Sookshma-dasha and Pran-dasha. The logic on how to analyse these even smaller units remains the same for each planetary owner of the sub/sub periods.
- Find out the power of the sub-period planetary lord and the aspects of life that he controls just like Step 1 for Jupiter above.
- Which houses he rules over.
- Especially if this sub-period lord is the owner of the 2nd or 7th house (Marakesh) its sub-period within the Jupiter Mahadasha can cause physical death. If Jupiter himself is the Markesh then he can cause death in the sub/sub-sub periods owned by him.
- The mutual relationship between Jupiter and the sub-period lord. If they are in the 6/8 or 2/12 or 3/11 uncomfortable aspects, that sub-lord’s sub-period will not be comfortable. They will be worse at the start of the sub-period and become better towards the end. Ultimately give a sense of expansion and optimism.
Step 3 is the routine planetary transits/ Gochar which will modify results during their transit periods. Using your software draw your birth chart on a paper and superimpose the current planetary positions on it. Use a different pen so that you can make sense of the composite chart you are drawing. Check out for the aspects and their strengths.
We use the Vimshottari dasha system to time events. One single placement in your chart will indicate so very many things. How to know which event will happen when? For this timing aspect you have to see the Dasha and the transits. The broad framework will be your D-9, the important events will be reflected in the D-1. The broad framework for the timing will be the Dasha and the fine-tuning will be the transits.
Now to analyse the sub-periods of the Jupiter Mahadasha, each of the 9 planets including Jupiter himself will own one of these sub-periods/antardasha in sequence. These are very very general readings just to trigger your own thought processes. Use these for reference, as a starting point for your own further analysis. Every horoscope is unique!
1. Jupiter antardasha/sub-period –
- You have analysed your Jupiter’s power to give results in step 1 above so this sub-period will be a double dose of Jupiter.
- If Jupiter is poised to give you good results then expect expansion in all forms, gains, happiness, your boss will appreciate you, marriage is possible, your husband will shower you with affection, you will gain wealth and also spend to make your life more comfortable, children may be born to you, you may gain students, children will be well and bring you joy. You will perform religious activities, go on pilgrimages. Higher education, teaching jobs might get available. You will get support from your spiritual teachers, your peers, ancestral spirits will bless you. You think on philosophical lines, meditate or read something which nourishes your soul. You feel hopeful!
- If Jupiter is going to give you adverse results then this period can be a bit difficult. Jupiter placed in the 6th, 8th, 12th houses or Jupiter as a ruler of the sign placed in these dusham-sthan. Especially in Libra and Capricorn ascendant charts, as Jupiter is a functional malefic here. Evaluate your chart carefully. There will be episodes of anxiety, stress and distress. The same keywords of your life as above can be a source of problems. However Jupiter will ultimately create a spiritually inclined personality but the way he will do this will not be pleasant. In these cases the first part of the sub-period will be more problematic than the second half. Be careful if you get body pain, go to a proper doctor.
- Overall this period will create a lot of opportunities which you can actively explore. Keeping in with Jupiter’s expansion, optimism, benevolence and wisdom you will take up new activities with hope and positivity.
2. Saturn antardasha
- Saturn and Jupiter are generally neutral to each other as both respect elders, value knowledge, are quite serious about the karmic lessons. However there is one difference, one expands and the other contracts.
- Depending on Saturn’s position in your chart expect increase in your duties. But your energy and enthusiasm in performing those duties will be enhanced. You can be in prominent social positions, given more professional responsibilities, a promotion, your father will benefit. More authority in your hands. Interactions with the government, superior officers or social seniors will be fruitful. You will be given resources. You will gain.
- But if Saturn is poised to give you malefic results then this will be a period of conflicting energies where the expansion of Jupiter will hit the terribly constrictive influence of Saturn and you will suffer strain in all these aspects of life mentioned above. Physical health can be a problem in this case, especially disease of the bones, teeth, skin and nerves. Your birth father may suffer or you might suffer because of him. In Saturn’s periods its always better to submit to whatever regulations and work-plan that he puts you to. However you can modulate the negative effects by planning your life and work before he does it for you.
3. Mercury antardasha
- Jupiter and Mercury are not the best of friends but they are karmic mirrors of each other. So ultimately compatible in the spiritual sense. If one is the teacher the other is the student. They get their real meaning only when they are with each other.
- If they both are in a good favourable axis expect best of both worlds. You will have the philosophy as well as the skill to convert this theory to action. Your students, brothers, brother-figures, extended family will support. You will earn money through speculation or stock markets. Financial investments will be in your favour. Communication is enhanced in every way, any place where you are required to talk, explain, read, write, instruct will be enhanced, you might learn a musical instrument! Your ability to think, plan, analyse is enhanced. Also Mercury is action, your hands. So any actions which you do with your hands are energised. You might learn a new skill or a craft. You will be granted the boldness and courage and this sub-period will be quite beneficial for you.
- If they are not working together and are placed in unfavourable angles to each other then these above keywords will give you stress. Psychiatric problems are possible. There will be a danger of theft and cheating. There can be medical problems in nerves and skin. Pay attention to details but keep the larger picture in mind too, this will help.
4. Ketu antardasha
- Ketu is the agent of dissolution of the material. He also takes on the character of the planets aspecting /conjunct him. So evaluate his karakatva /ability to give results, very carefully first.
- If Jupiter and Ketu are mutually well placed this sub-period can give very good gains on the spiritual front. Whatever is draining your spiritual energy will be cut off. And because it is Jupiter involved, you will know what and why it has been released. There will be full understanding and joy in this process. If Ketu’s gains the ability to give material results as a result of the planet influencing him, then he can grant all these things in his sub-period. In this case he will grant material stuff especially through speculative means.
- But if Ketu is badly placed, then this period will cause problems, this can include physical death or feelings of emptiness and abandonment. You might strive for something which you can never attain. Jupiter’s hope is misguided and you face rejection. Everything that Jupiter stands for can abandon you. Your husband/wife, your boss, your children, the philosophies you live your life by can leave you. You will experience the loss of the material. This will ultimately pull you towards the spiritual side but the process will give you pain.
5. Venus antardasha
- Venus and Jupiter are the two Guru’s. Both are quite friendly with each other, their ‘enmity’, is on the philosophical level. Both are teachers but their students are very different, Venus’s students are the worst goons and his teaching methods are very different.
- If Venus and Jupiter have a good working relationship then you will have a very good time. Benefits from all sources, relationships, money, social and emotional fulfilment, spiritual progress, new partnerships, bargains, asset creation, gains from spouse, enjoyable time with your loved ones. Marriage, promotion, pilgrimages, journeys, birth of children etc are all possible. There will be recognised leadership roles and dignified teaching roles in this period.
- Relations with the opposite gender, girlfriends/boyfriends are quite possible. But this period wont allow marital infidelity unless malefic influences.
- If Venus is badly placed in your chart, there will be tensions in relationships, both personal and professional. You will lose your spiritual moorings so it will be worse. Spouse and children will suffer with you. Sisters, wife and women in general will be a source of stress. You might get addicted to damaging substances. Loss of wealth and litigations can result. However if you are aware of what is happening you can plan and reduce the impact of these events on yourself.
6. Sun antardasha
- Sun is leadership and self-ego. You desire to be known.
- In this sub-period, if Sun and Jupiter are working well together, you will get a change to display your creativity. Your intelligence, speculative intelligence, creative genius, confidence, entitlements, charisma, etc will be enhanced. You might gain promotions, wealth, financial assets, money through stock markets ans similar speculations, marriage and birth of children is quite possible. If you are a creative writer, actor etc your publications and acting roles will be appreciated. For the politically inclined, this is a good period for political gains.
- If the Sun is placed in an adversarial relation with Jupiter, or is badly placed then there may be some problems from the above aspects of your life causing stress. Problems with relatives and children are possible. Medical issues caused by ‘over-heating’ are possible. Jupiter and Sun get along quite well, so this sub-period will be reasonably ok.
7. Moon antardasha
- Moon is the sum total of your self, astral sub-conscious, the depths of your emotions, your intuition! Moon and Jupiter are quite good friends and Jupiter in in fact exalted in Moon-owned Cancer! So this period can be quite good in any case.
- You will get close to your mother, maternal figures and home-land cultures. If you get married during this period, choose someone from a similar cultural background else it will cause issues. Child-birth, buying new houses, cars, property is quite possible. You might get into spiritual stuff, mediation, new education avenues etc. Nutrition, nurture and nature will be pleasing. Comfortable life and emotional security.
- If Jupiter and Moon are poised to give unfavourable material results then you will be in a bad time. Your mother will give you bad advice. You will be in trouble because of your over-attachment to your homeland culture, maybe you get married and are unable to adapt to your spouse’s culture! Dreams, sleep astral self, sub-conscious states will be disturbed. Diseases related to the blood, liquids in the body are possible. Mental peace and emotional comfort will be denied. Will live away from home, will travel, the body will suffer on the physical and astral levels (Pancha-kosh).
- However the results of what the planets are capable of giving are very important. Do this analysis very carefully. This is the foundation of your
- I know a chart with a Jupiter and Moon placed together in the 12th house. Death occurred in the Mahadasha of Moon, sub-period of Mercury(ascendant lord), sub-sub-period Jupiter. She died of internal haemorrhage, the exact day was when the birth Moon transited this 12th house (blood/liquid expanded into the internal spaces of the body, all these keywords match with the chart). The soul took on the pret-yoni /spirit state and entered the Pitru-lok with very high level of energy because of this placement of Jupiter/Moon in 12th house (do read the Moksh-trikon).
8. Mars antardasha
- Mars is dynamic, challenging, pioneering and physically moving.
- If Jupiter and Mars are together well placed you will benefit from your brothers, extended family as well as elders. Professional initiatives will grant success. Marriage is possible. You will be known socially, respected. Any physical activity which requires initiative will be promoted. Relations with the opposite gender, girlfriends/boyfriends will be many.
- Mars is the ruler of the 2nd and 7th house for the Libra ascendant so during his periods he can cause physical death. So here if he is conjoint Jupiter, this sub-period can easily cause physical death, if the longevity has reached its limit.
- One thing which you can observe is, your Mahadasha and Antardasha at the time of your marriage. Your spouse will reflect the nature of these two planets. Or check when your child was born, the nature of this child will also reflect the natures of the dasha controlling planets of your that time.
- Mars can create problems if he is badly placed. Especially the start of the sub-period will be more troublesome than the latter part. There will be diseases related to ‘over-heating’, eyes and blood can be affected especially. Aggression, arguments and ill-relationship will be expanded.
9. Rahu antardasha
- This is the chidra-dasha the last sub-period
- Rahu is the exact opposite of Jupiter, he is sneaky, calculative, breaks rules, aspires for higher stations. In the closing phase of Jupiter mahadasha, Rahu cuts off your Jupiter persona. He accurately identifies all those things where you have let others take advantage of your benevolent Jupiter phase. Rahu will take stock of what you needed in these 16yrs, not what you gave of yourself. Misplaced hopes, humanitarian thoughts, misdirected charity work will stop. Even knowledge which you may have gained, if not furthering your personal goals and desires will be discarded. Rahu is very thorough about this, he will infuse ambition in all that Jupiter created. And this will be linked to your karma.
- So during your Jupiter main-period, however kind and generous you may feel for others do keep track of what you are gaining from the interactions. This does not mean you have to be selfish, Jupiter will not allow you to be selfish. But at least be aware that what you are doing should benefit you too in some way or the other. This will make this last Rahu chidradasha more easy to navigate and you will be able to better consolidate your gains from Jupiter. Rahu will prepare you for your next Saturn persona, thus he will link your gains from Jupiter with a deep understanding of your karmic desires
- Rahu takes on the influences of the planets conjoint/aspecting him. So do analyse his Karakatva (ability and strength to give results) before predicting material results.
- If Jupiter and Rahu are poised to give good results together then he will give material pleasures and gains. Money, power, ambition, good physical health, pilgrimages, spiritual progress will be enhanced. Rahu is the things you have been ignoring in your past lives so under the influence of Jupiter, Rahu can actually grant you ambition with understanding a rare gift indeed.
- If Rahu and Jupiter are not well placed together then there will dangers from cheats, disputes, thieves, diseases, marital discord, professional ruin etc caused by Rahu’s nature to over reach and then fall flat on his face. So if you have this combination in your chart do rein in your ambitions to what is realistically possible.
The generic remedy for those suffering from problems during this period of Jupiter Mahadasha is doing puja or reciting any mantra of Shiv or Vishnu or reciting the beej mantra of Jupiter on Thursdays, or doing his Homa, or donating any material associated with Jupiter etc.
You can also wear more of his colors, use the scents dear to him, eat more food associated with him and similar fun things to balance out his energies.
Jupiter is generous and benevolent, he expands everything he is connected to. And every house has some positive and negative things on the material front. Astrology tells you the options you have available, it is not fatalistic! So if you are going through his period, be very conscious and choose intelligently. You can choose, Jupiter allows this. So use his energies with confidence and intelligence so that you can gain on the spiritual as well as material fronts during his Dasha periods.