Sankranti means the transit of Surya into the next Rashi. There are 12 Sankrantis in one solar year. Makar Sankranti, ie Sun’s entry into Capricorn is possibly the most important Sankranti of the lot.
In each of the 12 signs of the zodiac, the Sun appears in different forms, the twelve Aditya. The form of the Sun in Capricorn sign is called Bhaga Aditya. He is the giver luck, fortune, prosperity etc. In this solar month we are expected to work hard for what we want and not give up. We have to earn the comforts we desire. To be reliable, responsible, use our intelligence and be honest with ourselves. There may be legacies, inheritances, windfalls etc during this time, some unexpected opportunities. We have to use our intelligence get into the details. If any problems arise we should break them down and deal with them. If this Sankranti is good for you then you will enjoy the above advantages for the coming new Samvatsar, if not then you will be mean, stingy and unyielding thus cause problems for yourself and others.
This year Makar Sankranti occurs on 14:43 IST 14th Jan 2022 afternoon. The best time to do pujas is from 14:43 to 16:34 IST, this is the Maha punya kaal. But the time till sunset is generally auspicious, this is the Punya kaal. Make use of this time to perform some auspicious actions. Whatever you do in this time will help you in the oncoming new year, ie in the Shri Shubhakruti naam samvatsar.
As the actual Sankranti is on the afternoon of 14th, you will have to do some pujas on 14th from 14:43 to sunset. And also give Arghya etc to the rising Sun on 15th Jan.
What to do on Makar Sankranti is a common question so I am listing out the easiest possible options. You can add more as per your culture and family traditions.
- Wake up before sunrise and get ready etc, as usual.
- Make sure to put sesame oil on the body before bathing and put some sesame seeds, white Til seeds, in your bath water.
- Wear fresh clothes, Tilak on your forehead etc. Do your morning Agnihotra at the exact sunrise minute/second. Give Arghya to the risen Sun at the eastern horizon. Recite the Aditya Hrudaya stotra. Do puja of your household deities/ Kuldevata. (This is a daily thing for followers of Sanatan Dharma)
- The special naivedya for this day is sweets made of white sesame seeds and jaggery (Til-gul) and sugar candy.
- Do your morning Gayatri puja, ie the complete Sandhyavandanam or at least recite the Gayatri mantra 108 times. (Again this is a daily schedule)
- Next do some puja of the Sun ie make a Surya yantra and do its puja, or in any way as per your family traditions.
- Go to a nearby temple during the Punya kaal. If possible go to a Navagraha temple, but if there isn’t one nearby you can go to any temple. Take your family, children etc also with you. Offer sweets made of white Sesame seeds and jaggery to the deity.
- Give Daana as per your capacity to any worthy Brahmin or to the deity or the running water/sea. This can be as simple as pouring a bottle of sesame seed oil into the Deepak lamps around the temple. Daan and Mantra are the sure shot remedies for all astrological problems.
- If you live near auspicious rivers and water bodies, ie Ganga, Narmada, Yamuna, Kavery, Sindhu, Godavari etc then you can take a snan in these rivers and give Arghya to the Sun with their waters.
- As per local culture and traditions do participate in whatever activities are prescribed for this day. Eg flying kites, lighting up a Fire and worshipping it, doing puja of the cow, having fun-fairs Mela, etc. We are one Bharatvarsha and we celebrate the Makar Sankranti together, Suggi Habba, Lohori, Pongal, Uttarayani, Magh Bihu, Maghi, Khichadi, Shishur Sankrant, etc, it all a celebration of the same energy of the Sun entering the Capricorn sign.
- All followers of Sanatan Dharma intend happiness and positivity on this important day.
Now the phal, ie the fruit of this Makar Sankranti. If you open any standard printed Panchangam, you will see a description of the Sankranti purush. For this Makar Sankranti 2022 it is as follows.
- Naam Mishra – Name – Mixed
- Drushti Nairrutya – Looking at the South west.
- Gamana Purva – Traveling towards the East
- Vahana Bagha – Main vehicle Tiger
- Upa Vahana Ghoda – second vehicle Horse
- Vastra Peeta – Robes Yellow
- Ayudha Gada – Weapon Mace
- Bhakshya Padartha Payasa – Eating a sweet dish made of rice, sugar and milk
- Gandha Dravya Kumkuma – fragrance applied is saffron
- Varna Bhuta – color is pale
- Pushpa Jati – wearing jasmine flowers
- Vaya Kumar – age teenager
- Avastha Bhoga – desirous of enjoyment
- Karana Mukha Dakshina – thought process towards the south
- Sthiti Baithi – posture sitting
- Bhojana Patra Chandi – Silver vessel for eating food
- Abhushana Kankana – wearing a bracelet as a jewellery
- Kanchuki Hari – upper body cloth of green color.
Interpreting all this, overall there will be an environment of fear and uncertainty. Advisers, philosophers, scholars etc will not be able to give very sensible or practical advice. People will feel afraid for no real reasons, imaginary troubles will disturb the mind. War like situations are possible. Fast moving and unexpected events will occur. People will not be able to act in time as required by the circumstances. There will be a tendency to get things by illicit or illegal means. in the age groups, teenagers may face typical issues. Silver, jewellery, water, white colored items, sugar, rice, milk, green colored items, perfumes, flowers, saffron, essential commodities, yellow colored items will increase in price. South western and Eastern parts of Bharat will face troubling times. The south will face more challenge times compared to the north. The indications are overall mixed for our nation for this month of Jan-Feb and this will carry on subtly in the incoming new Samvatsar.
This time a lot is happening around this Sankranti. Let’s also take a look at the planet positions.
- Partial Kaal sarpa, the Moon is outside the hemming.
- Conjunction of Sun Saturn Mercury in Capricorn.
- Mercury retrograde in Capricorn.
- Venus retrograde in Sagittarius.
- Moon exalted in Taurus at this time is helpful. Will ensure health on the physical and emotional levels at least.
- Mars in swa-kshetra, Scorpio adds to his power to be auspicious.
- Ketu and Rahu are very powerfully placed in Taurus and Scorpio, their potential can be harnessed.
- Saturn is powerful in his own sign, so can be used intelligently.
- Jupiter in Aquarius though average can still be used to create good in your life.
So though the Sankranti Purush is not very favourable, if you perform some pujas for the Sun or Graha shanti etc you will be able to make the most of the power of these graha. Will highlight the possible positives for the birth Moon signs,
- Aries – must try to make the most of the Dharma Karma yog operating. Profession and gains are favourable if you make the efforts.
- Taurus – Jupiter is favourable for you so try to create opportunities for gains in your life. Profession may feel a bit dull, but you are building a base for your future so persevere here. Travel may create opportunities.
- Gemini – if you are in business, this Jupiter can give you good results. In your personal life too, partnerships can act as a foundation for something bigger in the future. You have to work but also be patient.
- Cancer – for you hold on to your personal spiritual practice as this will give you the necessary strength to carry on in life. There can be some scope for those in business but only if you have done your ground work systematically earlier.
- Leo – This is one of the very best times, enemies are ineffective. Jupiter is bringing you close to important people and to your spouse, money from business too should be coming in. Make the most of it.
- Virgo – there is a limited scope for calculated risks, if you have done your homework well. But do not break rules and think everything through before taking any step. Do your spiritual practice as this will help you generate positive energy during this time.
- Libra – You will feel very creative but will not have the time to take up these things. But note down your ideas, they are all good and their time too will come. Your children will be a source of happiness to you in this time.
- Scorpio – For you this is a very good time. You have the necessary opportunity, courage, intelligence and resources to take up any of the things you want to. Make the most of it, all life aspects are generally favourable.
- Sagittarius – Money flow can increase so you can take up investments after thinking them through. Your extended family and teammates may unexpectedly come to your assistance.
- Capricorn – Focus on your spiritual practice to generate positivity during this time. Be patient.
- Aquarius – Traveling can generate opportunities. There is good scope for expansion but remember to keep your health first in all cases.
- Pisces – You continue to get positive results, with several opportunities for gains of different types. But focus on getting yourself fit on the physical, emotional, financial etc aspects as your Sade sati will be starting soon.
(I am using data from Drikpanchangam for place Ujjain.)
Very sincere gratitude for this valuable post, and we express our heartfelt thanks for the excellent and the detailed step by step explanation. Thank you so very much. मकर संक्रान्ति शुभाशया: महोदया |
Sincere regards and best wishes Madam,
Thank you so much. Every time I read your article i make changes in my practice, i make them my habit. Dhayana, bangles + anklet, salt + lemon energy, Sri sukta, gayatri mantra, oil bath, nose pin, pooja twice a day, being kind to myself, reiki.
I see that a beast slowly becoming a better beast 😜 . Is it Dasha -bhukti, coz I got direct interaction with a knowledgeable person like you. Otherwise it was me and what my mind says. Now, it’s me, what my mind says and introspect (like you say behaviour change).
Want to experiment and experience betterment. I am getting this thought to take a print out of all your articles/posts and make it my companion 🙂.
Thank you to write on Sankranti punya kaala and it’s auspiciousness.
Thank you Ma’am, will surely follow .
We make another milk based sweet with fresh ground rice and have curd and soaked poha for breakfast.
Happy Makar Sankranti.
Ganapati Atharvashirsha, can we recite every day like Sri sukta, or are there any rules to be followed?
yes, you can.
read its phalashruti.
once either in the morning and evening sandhya or both times.
if 1000 times anushthan with sankalp is best.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you very much mam.
Can you write on Gotras and the Gotra Rishis? The significance and how we can channel the energy?
LikeLiked by 1 person
its draft is lying in my scrivener, will post soon
LikeLiked by 1 person
Happy and blessed Makar Sankranti 🙏🏻 Thanks very much for this post, it has helped me🙏🏻♥️
Have a query not related to this post. I know few people in my family, acquaintances and colleagues (older people) who have a birth date in their certificates and records which is different from their actual birth date. This happened because their parents/ relatives did not give their actual birth date at the time of their school admission, in order to ensure that they were not denied admission to the school. It seems this practice existed in various places in our country years ago. These people get retired based on this false date. Astrologically does this kind of incident influence their life in anyway? My apologies if this question sounds silly. Obviously their actual date of birth influences their life. But was wondering if a false birth date (which is a record) has any impact on their life.
Thanks in advance.
Lots of love and gratitude
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks so much for this post Madam, it is immensely helpful for beginner-aspirants like me. Dhanyawad with folded hands.
Read the post “Jagat Guru Adi Shankaracharya”. Liked the line ” ‘karma’ which I thought bound me is in fact insubstantial, imaginary, does not exist”.
I wanted to ask many things, but I can’t frame them in words. So, I can say, I don’t have anything to say, yet it’s struck in my throat.
Thank you for making something aware for me.
In some parts of our country if a child/ person dies and his/ her parents are alive, their body is buried, not cremated. Is this a correct practice?
Lots of love and gratitude
a baby before Annaprashan sanskar, ie while still on the mothers milk ie not eating solid food from outside does not have self-ego. ie its Jivatma is not very strongly attached to the body.
in case it physically dies so early then the fault is with the parents, it is more of their paap-karma.
so such a small baby if physically dead it can be buried or cremated.
some people think that the physically dead child can be buried till second set of teeth start, ie 6yrs, or till puberty etc, this is incorrect.
frankly cremation is more hygenic as it does not spoil the ground water sources. and if the body was diseased then the viruses etc pathogens are burnt with the body rather than seeping into the soil
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you very much🙏🏻
I have a question for a sample chart of my study collection….it is a person that has got a chronic lingering sickness due to Saturn’s transit through the 8th house (in Rahu Mahadasha), …soon there will be Ketu transiting over the birth Marakesh (still in Rahu Mahadasha with Antardasha of Lagnesh), is that an indication of possible death? Or that the sickness will go worse?
When (after reading your post Timing death for close relations) I check the design of the son and spouse it rather indicates the first phase of the next coming Sade Sati…..As per your experience, when a sickness occur, will there be the same planet causing the initial sickness, provoke also the final exit? Or would it be enough that Ketu transit over Marakesh…..in Rahu Mahadasha? How do you weight the different indications?
I also wonder, analysing the longevity (positive and negative influences in the chart), how to arrive to a number of age….. do you use the vimshottari Dasha system to arrive to that number?
To analyse the transits, is it true to apply the lordship interpretation to understand deeper the role of the transit of a specific planet? E g 12th Lord transiting over Lagna (if Ashtakvarga of that planet is low in lagna) give a feeling of grief (manifested emotions of loss) or astral debit that may manifest physically as a temporary sickness……, if Ashtakvarga score would be strong it could increase special dreams or visions?
Thank you for your precious insights…..
every reference book BPHS Bruhat Jataka, etc has several shloks on longevity calculations. i use both ashtakvarga and the Pindayu/ Nisargayu/ Amshayu to arrive at a logical age of exit,
there are the combinations given which are typically modifying the longevity.
for the timing too, the combinations involving the Marak are also given.
open the reference books.
one observation is that physical death may also occur when you have the best time of your life. in this case the exit is generally very favourable and helps achieve a better position in the Pitrulok etc.
chronic sickness 6th house
acute sickness 8th house
both can give exit
but only if there is some involvement of the 8th and 2nd/7th
in your example, with whatever data you have shared there seems to be a high possibility
best advise the person his/her family to invoke the Mahamryutyunjai mantra. if he has to go then he will go easily or if he has to recover he will recover sooner.
that lingering painful phase will be reduced either way
LikeLiked by 2 people
all your insights are very helpful….
With immense joy write this comment. It is related to your previous article named The sounds the planets make. The Surya sounds exactly like The Creator (Being Narayana) would. Deeply rhythmic, pious and pulsating. The Surya is truly the soul, the Atman of this existence. Blessed to have Surya as Atmakaraka in my chart. Makes one wonder how impeccable our Santana teachings are! Thank you so much for taking time from your busy schedule and writing these Gems. Your articles are eye opening (and ear opening too!). Please accept my humble Pranam.
In software like jagannath hora it shows chart for next life cycle. Will it be the birth chart for next life? Can we draw a birth chart like that based on this life, s chart?
next life cannot be predicted.
but you can gauge the overall auspiciousness or not of the death event of some person you know, by drawing a chart of his time of exit.
however this to me it is pointless.
LikeLiked by 2 people