The Ashtakvarga chart is of very great importance in Jyotish. And one should make full use of this tool. Checking the effects during transits and strengths of the graha in that sign is just one way of doing this. Here, I am listing out a few more ways you can use this table in making predictions. Ashtakvarga is very simple method, all you need to know is how to read the rows and the columns.
Residence in foreign lands can be easily seen using Ashtakvarga.
‘Foreign’ in astrological terms is a rather loosely defined concept. Foreign residence can mean different things to different people. A person from Chennai shifting to Sri Lanka just a few km across the sea is living in a foreign land. Someone from Maharashtra goes to live in Manipur. Or someone from India goes to USA. All these are examples of foreign residence. Foreign can mean a different town, different state or even a different nation. It basically means a place which is different from your home, in terms of distance or culture or both. The person feels it to be ‘foreign’. Several people want to translocate to foreign locations for better opportunities in life. The horoscope will support if the following houses have potential,
- 7th house – travelling to to foreign lands
- 9th house – long journeys
- 12th house – journeys abroad which result in permanent residence (Rahu in the 12th house is a sure-shot prediction about having to leave the home town)
Calculate the Ashtakvarga or use the software. Then
- check the total scores of the signs placed in each of the three houses above.
- If there are any planets placed in these houses check their individual score for that specific sign and also their total score in the last column.
- All these scores will be the least possible as leaving the home and going to away from it is considered to be an inauspicious effect.
eg. Here is just the Ashtakvarga chart. (I am not giving the rest of the birth details as the person is alive and I do not like using living people as general study subjects, but I wanted to use just this chart.)
The signs in this person’s 7th, 9th and 12th houses are Aries = 22 points, Gemini = 35 points and Virgo = 23 points. Saturn is in Virgo in the 12th house, he has 1 point in Virgo. These are all very low scores so the relocation to the ‘foreign’ locations is quite evident. (Except Gemini in the 9th house has the highest score in the table = 35. The reason was because the client had a very strong past life connect with these foreign places, he was bound by the 9th house to go and complete his Dharma there.)
You can confirm the longevity and the quality of life using the Ashtakvarga scores. The following should have good scores,
- the ascendant sign’s total, this is crucial.
- the planetary lord of the ascendant sign wherever he is placed should have a good score in the sign he is placed in. The total score of this planet should be high. This too is crucial.
- any planets placed in the ascendant sign should have good scores in the sign. And the total score of that planet also should be good. This will play a supportive role.
Verify this logic with your client’s charts, it will always be correct.
- The average total for a sign is 28 points, if there are more points obviously the sign and its house is going to give good results. If there are less than 25 points, it is a cause for concern. Less than 20 and the sign is practically annihilated.
- The average for a planet in a sign is 4 points. If he gets more points, he will naturally give more auspicious results. If his points are 1 or 2 he is unable to do so.
- In our example above, the client’s Asc-Libra has 27 points, less than average but not too bad. Venus has 3 points in the sign he is placed in, its less than average. We can expect him to have a reasonably long life but there will be physical issues cropping up from time to time.
Predicting sudden rise and falls in life is easy using the Ashtakvarga charts.
In our example, we can see that Capricorn = 32 points, Aquarius = 18 points and Pisces = 30 points. So when a planet transits from Capricorn to Aquarius whatever he signifies will go suddenly downhill, the client should be careful during this time. And when the planet again transits from Aquarius to Pisces there will be a sudden rise in that planet’s stuff. This prediction can easily be tallied using the Moon’s transits, he transits the zodiac in one month. (eg in one such transit the client managed to quarrel with his wife so seriously that it led to a temporary separation, there were other factors of course, but this Moon’s transit was the precipitating factor.) The falls especially can be dangerous and the client should be prepared and careful. This sudden rise or fall is even more dramatic if the totals are the exact 18 and 36 points, the minimum and the maximum possible scores.
If you get clients who have fallen ill suddenly or in serious accidents or sudden loss of wealth, sudden crash in relationships etc check out their Ashtakvarga table for confirmation and further predictions.
The dread of the Sadi-Sati
The transit of Saturn through the signs placed 12th, 1st and 2nd from the birth Moon sign are called the ‘Seven and Half’ years of torture, the ‘Sade-sati’. To check out how severe the Sade-sati is going to be for you, open your Ashtakvarga table and note the sign occupied by the birth Moon, the sign before and after it. (Remember the Ashtakvarga is about signs not houses, do not confuse yourself while noting down the points.) Now check out the following
- The total points of each of these three signs. If these scores are less than 25 it is bad and its even lesser you are going to have a dreadful time. But if these scores are more than 30 points, your Sade-Sati will actually give you pleasing results!
- Now see the individual score that Saturn has in these signs. if its less than 2 consider it to be a testing time, but if it is more than 6 it can give gains. The scores 3 to 5 are considered to be somewhat average.
Saturn can cause significant physical and mental stress even when he is not doing his Sade-sati. In our example above,
- Saturn (though the Yogkarak) damaged the client’s body and caused severe stress in his profession when he transited Virgo (Saturn+Virgo = 1, Virgo= 23).
- Before that when he transited Aries (Saturn+Aries = 1, Aries= 22) he caused disappointments in his education.
- Now the prediction for Saturn’s effect on the client’s life. Saturn will transit Capricorn soon from Jan 2020. (Saturn+Capricorn = 7, Capricorn= 32). The client will see a sudden rise in his profession and gains (we just saw how to predict sudden rise in life). Then next Jan 2022, Saturn will transit Aquarius (Saturn+Aquarius = 2, Aquarius= 18) this client will go through a sudden fall in luck and will have to face stress in life unless he is strongly prepared to deal with with what will come. Saturn’s next transit through Pisces will offer only generic relief because though Pisces=30 a good score, Saturn+Pisces = 1 is an abysmally low score.
So as you can see, the Ashtakvarga table is a very useful item. You can use the total values of the planets and signs and also the individual values of the planets in the different signs to gain a clear idea of what kind of results they are going to be giving in life. So whenever you predict using the birth chart, do glance over the Ashtakvarga tables, this will be an additional confirmation step which will improve the accuracy of your predictions.
Wonderful informative article as usual.
Can you Please answer this query?
A friend of mine doesn’t know birth time exactly, but know only birth date place. Now in her D1 chart Moon in thiruvonam star 2nd pada. From capricorn Moon in the 8th house 4planets – retro jupiter, retro saturn, rahu and mars are in Leo(8th from moon). What can we infer from this placement? At 39 this person is yet to get married.
the best option would be to ask your astrologer to ask through a prashna kundali as there is only one issue regarding marriage
Palmistry also can resolve this if you know a experienced palmist..
you are mentioning the nakshatra pad for the birth moon that means the birth time -morning/evening something like that is known. the astrologer can narrow her ascendant to 3-4 signs, and using some past events can fix the ascendant sign,
this will help confirming the reading from the prashna kundali.
from the Moon in Capricorn placement she might want a arranged match from someone in her own social/financial levels,
but so many planets placed 8th from the Moon indicates that perhaps she is not clear on what she really wants, has she changed her mind in the past rejecting alliances ?
one thing she can try is to listen or recite the shri sukta and request Devi Laxmi to make her a Gruha-Laxmi and to bring happiness .. this in my experience always works
Thankyou for replying. Yes she is like what you said was born early morning. She is a christian, can she listen to shree suktam and intend her wish.
I would definitely ask her to check prashna kundali.
Shri Sukta is a mantra, a Vedic sukta, it works for everyone, it will give you whatever you want
one of my client’s husband was having an extramarital affair and was on the point of divorcing her. She didnt want to divorce as children were small. I told her to learn Sri sukta , request Devi Laxmi, recite it over the food, water, his clothes, sort of make a cocoon o the sukta over him and the man actually stopped all nonsense and came back to the family within a month. There has been no problems for the past 3-4 yrs for her and she recites the sukta routinely..
Samruddhi or Shri is a very wide word
however if your friend feels that following christanity clashes with Shri Shukta, then whts the point of checking the prashana kundali?
It is ultimately Ved-ang Jyotish that she will be using..
she should follow whatever as per her own conscience else it will not work..
Thankyou so much.
Have read lot of your articles and still many remaining. I truly appreciate, You understand the energy of the planets and signs.
Is it possible to do ashtakvarga analysis to check whether marriage will be successful or not? Score of the 7th house rashi is only 19.
thank you fr the feedback..
and ashtakvarga is just one part of it
check the main chart it is the most important one
then if your birth time is correct, check the D9 for your inner potential
and most important is to marry someone whose horoscope matches yours,
i have written posts on all these topics, do use the index page to find these posts if you wish to read..
Namaste mam. Little confused here. While illustrating you have mentioned few things like for ex: “Saturn in virgo has 1 point then Saturn has total 37, so not very good!” then simillarly another situation you have mentioned, atleast venus being in a perticular sign has below average points but having total score of 52 is a good sign,things are better!
So here this sequence of total points for every planet in the right most column has 48,49,39…..etc for sun,moon,mars…etc respectively!
My questions is : are these points are fixed for every planets? Because both the examples(Crowley n another) in their tables has the same nos in sequence. I also checked mine putting in software, shows the same nos in sequence for respective planets. If you could please clear my confusion here! Always grateful
LikeLiked by 1 person
i have already recommended tht you read CS Patels book on ashtakvarga, you can dwl a copy from archive, but do buy a paper book as it helps understanding.
the numbers in the last column are same for every chart, these are the max points tht a planet can give.
as you can see the planets Jupiter Venus and Mercury have the highest points tht they can give. so the things influenced by these planets in life, generally have more prominence, are more evident. Jupiter and Venus are the best natural benefics and they are the guru. mercury is the planet responsible for your mental processes very important. etc.
but i have deleted these two lines you have quoted now as they made the post unnecessarily complicated. it added one more layer of meaning, and for beginners it might get confusing.
so in the beginning just focus on
1. the points the planets have in each sign for the transit/dasha related results
2. the points total for each sign, bottom row, for the power of the sign to give results.
3. the points of each planet in the sign he is in at birth to understand its inherant power to give results.
Namaste mam. Thanks a lot. Was bit hesitant to ask but couldn’t help. Just feel grateful for your time and patient reply. Always grateful. Would try my best not to bother u with my random queries!