You will get clients who have questions related to marriage. When will they get married? Or will they ever get married? There are a few typical combinations where marriage can be delayed or denied. You will need the exact time of birth. The birth chart, the birth Moon chart, the navamsha chart and the Ashtakvarga are required. (If birth time is not available, use the Prashna system. You can use the current moment’s chart, its Navamsha etc).
Some of the factors linked to marriage,
Things to see from the birth chart –
- Venus is the natural ruler of the 7th sign of the zodiac, so naturally his power to give results must be examined. He is the natural ruler of all types of relationships.
- The 7th house is the most important house of legal partnerships. The planets placed or aspecting here will influence marriage matters.
- Similarly the lord of the 7th house has to be examined. These above factors will give the physical results related to marriage.
- Libra is the natural 7th house of the zodiac, so check if there are any adverse impacts on it. These will be subtle effects modifying the physical situation.
- Role of the 5th house and its lord is rather limited, this represents ‘glamorous self-centred love’, not marriage. But you can use the information from this house. Eg ‘love affairs’ which did not lead to marriage. Or ‘broken-heart’ situations, where the 5th house’s unfulfilled romance changed the person’s mindset against formal marriage. A very strong 5th house can indicate that the person is a genius, a celebrity, a star and not interested in the partnership of marriage.
- If the entire Dharma trikon, ie the 1st, 5th and 9th house/lords of the chart is very powerful, the person may remain unmarried because of a very dominant personality, focussed on the self, which is very comfortable with himself.
- In rare cases, a 8th house/ lord if heavily influenced by malefics can also deny marriage as this house represents the family of the spouse. A 8th house which can give auspicious results gives a good relationship with the in-laws and the spouse’s family is well-off.
- Finally and most importantly, power of the ascendant sign, ascendant ruler and the birth Moon. If these three factors are well placed and give auspicious results, problems in the chart are reduced in intensity. Eg the person may not get married but the mental worry and physical hardship of living the life alone will not exist. The personality, the environment, the ‘fitting in’ and the emotional states are robust.
’Examine’ means to check out every influence on the planet/houses we have identified above. eg Venus, the sign he is placed in, the condition of this sign’s owner and his interaction with Venus (eg if they are in the 6/8 axis it will give some discomfort). The planets together with or aspecting Venus. All this from the birth chart also called the 1st divisional chart. Do this for all the planets/signs we have identified.
- Malefics, benefics, neutral planets conjoint or aspecting. Especially look for involvement of Saturn, he delays/denies.
- Exalted, debilitated, in maran-karak sthan. Is the planet in the sign owned by a friendly, enemy or neutral planet.
- Retrograde, combust, or involved in graha-yuddha/planetary wars.
- Hemmed in by malefics, ie the houses on either side of the planet have only malefics, this gives unfavourable results. Or hemmed in by benefics which gives good results. (Hemming in of the 7th house by malefics, ie the 6th and 8th houses contain malefics generally denies marriage and gives a good professional life.)
- Exchange of this planet with the owner of the 6th or 8th or 12th houses.
- If the planets in the horoscope are concentrated in fiery and earthy signs only, it can delay/deny marriage or grant childlessness.
Every influence will give its result, nothing gets cancelled out. Intensity may vary, depending on aspects and placements, but something of the effect will be there. (Eg one chart I know has an auspicious Venus with Ketu in the 5th house, aspected by a well-placed 7th house ruler from the 11th house. This person had two marriages. She married her current husband a few years after death of the first. Both were well-known, powerful and rich. Both marriages were pleasant experiences with a spiritual angle.)
The Moon chart –
Now turn around the birth chart so that the Moon and his sign are counted as the 1st house. Examine the 7th house from this Moon. This sign and its lord will give the astral, emotional and comfort levels of the married state. Malefic influences here can impact the marriage event itself. Examine the position of Venus relative to the Moon, if it is in an uncomfortable axis, it will reduce the auspicious nature of the marriage event.
The Ashtakvarga table –
Navamsha chart –
- You have identified the signs in the 1st house and 7th house from the birth chart. Now check if any planet gets placed in these signs in the D-9. If malefics occupy these signs in the D9, it is unfavourable.
- You have identified the planets (placed in or aspecting) connected to the 7th house from the birth chart. In addition there are 4 planets, Venus, ascendant lord, 7th house lord and Moon. Locate these planets in the D9, in which signs are they placed? Note these signs and open the basic birth chart again, locate these signs in the birth chart, which houses do these signs occupy in the birth chart? If these signs occupy the 6th house, 8th house or the 12th house of the birth chart, then the concerned planets are unfavourable.
Now we have identified a lot of points which are linked to the marriage event, some of them are bound to be there in the client’s chart. As a basic idea, if there are more than 5 of these points in the chart you are examining, consider it as case of delay and with every additional point it can become a case for denial of marriage.
Dasha and Transits
In addition the transits and Dasha-s have to be examined to get a complete picture. Marriage is possible only during Dasha periods of the planets involved in the marriage potential as we have identified above. In addition this has to be supported by favourable transits influencing the 7th house. In delayed marriages, this favourable time comes late in life. In denied marriages it does not occur in the life-time.
‘Marriage’ from an astrological point of view is a Karmic and Dharmic bond willingly accepted by a man and a woman in front of a witness. The witness can be the law of the land, a ritual, the Agni/fire, Sun, deity, priest, society or even the person’s internal conscience. The energies of the two link at the deepest energy levels as a Dharma-pati and Dharma-patni. it is a Sanskar., there is no concept of divorce, this lasts till one of the two physically leaves the body. However there can be multiple marriage events in one lifetime.
In these times, where the profession and personal life style is becoming more important, marriage is not mandatory anymore. People opt for romantic liaisons, flings, live-in relationships often with no children. So you might see more clients with delay/ denial of marriage in their horoscopes. And there is nothing wrong about not getting married. But in the long term, the existence of a solid society and robust traditions/culture still depends on the institution of marriage.