Something off-beat today. A look into the darker side, taboos perhaps. Someone on Facebook was inviting me to discuss ‘witchcraft’ with him, thus this post.
Recently I came across a very interesting book, “Aleister Crowley’s Illustrated Goetica” by Lon Milo DuQuette. I use Thoth Tarot designed by Crowley so was looking forward to reading this book. To my surprise this book described Spirits, “Goetic spirits” and was about how you can call them and use them to do your work. Something like a genie. Each spirit had its own sign/sigil which could be used to reach it, summon it and bind it. And each spirit has its own speciality, the work it could perform. The description and everything reminded me of the spirits used for witchcraft/black-magic in India.
There are several forms that Consciousness takes, we humans are just one form among these. I believe humans are the most creative of all these forms. There are so many stotras and mantras where it is mentioned that these give results specifically for humans. Humans have extraordinary powers to Create. Only in the human form we have a Will which we use to create our own Universe.
When you conjure spirits i.e. call them from their dimension to yours, you are allowing them entry into your Universe and this access is very valuable for them. Everyone strives for recognition and rewards even the spirits. I quite liked this book because there were very simple ways to call them. Someone has done quite a bit of work on describing the ritual stuff, defining the work they perform and especially for beginners provides quite a reasonable amount of protection too. And also the rewards they desire are quite simple, like marking out their sigils on a piece of metal and keeping them somewhere safe in your Universe. This grants them existence in your Universe. If someone wants to experiment with ‘witch-craft’ this book will definitely help. But it is my karma to counsel so here it goes.
Witchcraft is quite common. Using conscious energies to do your work is also common. And calling spirits from other dimensions is also very common. Some people and societies however have this idea that spirits and magic is evil, a taboo. It is not. Nothing is good or bad, energy is energy. How you use it matters. if you do not understand something you respond with fear. Then your Intention matters and colors the Action as good/evil. If your Conscience/Antaratma is ok with what you are upto it is all good, as ultimately you answer only to Yourself. If you cheat your own self, well then you have to rebalance the Karma in your future lives.
Back to calling spirits. If your Will is strong enough it can be as simple as focussing on the sigil of the spirit, thinking about it, calling it to answer, summoning it. And quite often the Will is strong. “This is my world and I have invited someone here so I have the power to kick it back to his dimension too”. This confidence is necessary. But again just confidence is not enough, you need to have the strength too. I have seen the best way to increase your strength in these aspects is to use the mantras from the Devi Mahatmya/Durga Saptashati. But then as always be very careful with these energies because they are very huge, terrible and quick-acting. The spirits you call,
- The spirits who answer your summons/invitation are conscious entities. They have their own agenda. Your books on ritualistic magics can define them endlessly but still there are still some things which will not be clearly mentioned. And each summoning is different. In a one-off chance you might call on more than you anticipate.
- The spirit you call on is now your ‘business partner’. You provide it energy and permission to remain in your world and it will work for you. So be very clear and conscious about what you are offering into the bargain. My brother did this when he was a teenager, got a minor spirit into a mirror for scrying. The bargain was one drop of blood. But then as the part is also the whole, he realised that that tiny drop of blood connected him even more deeply than he had anticipated. So he promptly released the spirit and consciously purged himself of its energies by falling ill.
- Now the spirit is a resident of the astral worlds and other dimensions so its action will be through the astral and other indescribable energies which will be manifested in your physical Universe. The bargain you make will always have an astral component, you may not even be fully aware of what you contract. eg when you draw its sigil on a piece of metal you will be doing it with your fingers and your energy. Thus tying yourself to it on the astral level, as you access it so can it can access you.
- Meddling with these energies can have effects beyond this one life. The astral and other dimensions, past parallel and future lives are a sort of continuous flowing ‘now’. So the actions you perform will reflect throughout your entire existence. (I know a chart where the person in his past life, used spirits to wreck havoc in other persons lives. In this life his astral self represented by the Moon and the 12th house is suffering, will resolve after he turns 36yrs but till then Karma is rebalancing.)
- And finally actively protect yourself, intend protection at all levels at all times. You cannot rest even when you sleep as that is the time you sub-conscious self is active. Your past ‘business partners’ may still access you without your conscious knowledge and steal energy from you.
Astrologically these interactions are in the domain of the 8th house, where you actively use these secret energies to transform yourself. Interacting with these entities changes you for ever, your aura changes, your confidence changes, you change irrevocably. The ‘normal’ people of the society seem more plain and one-dimensional, their views and opinions irrelevant. Thus most active witches and tantriks live a secret life away from the common society. Also the vibrations that your aura will give out create fear as normal people cannot even comprehend of dimensions beyond the 5 senses and here you routinely move and work in them.
It is quite interesting and instructive, but I do not recommend anyone getting into tantra and magics without a real genuine teacher/Guru but yes, for those who can and do it, it can be very liberating. But getting into these things just on the basis of what you read or chat about on facebook, is quite dangerous. So overall ‘Goetic spirits’ was an interesting read and it felt good that the East and West do meet on this shadowy, secret and dangerous side of energy.