Today a quick post on ‘Graha pakvata’, the maturity of the planets. There is little material on this topic on the net so writing about this. The nine planets of Jyotish change their results and fruits with time. Each planet ‘matures’ at a particular age. This age of maturity is an important indicator and should be kept in mind while analysing horoscopes. This is the list of the planets with your age in years at which they attain maturity.
- Jupiter – 16 yrs
- Sun – 22 yrs
- Moon – 24 yrs
- Venus – 25 yrs
- Mars – 28 yrs
- Mercury – 32 yrs
- Saturn – 36 yrs
- Rahu/North node – 48 yrs
- Ketu/South node – 48 yrs
After the planet attains maturity it becomes more capable of productive interactions with other planets and signs and also with the planets in transit. It develops completely and thus expresses its energies in a more sensible manner. Such planets then have wiser interactions even with their enemy planets and even in uncomfortable dushamsthan placements. The changes brought about by planetary maturity are not sudden but happen gradually over a year. But if the concerned planet is significant for your chart then the effect will be more prominently seen in your personality, both physical and emotional. Check out the following and their maturity ages.
- your Ascendant lord
- lord of your birth Moon sign
- planets located in your Ascendant sign or Moon sign
- planets conjunct with the Ascendant lord
One point to be remembered is that, in case two planets are located within 15deg of each other, the maturity of the early maturing planet will be held back till the other planet matures too. E.g Venus conjoint with Ketu, will hold back the maturity of Venus till the age of 48yrs where the Ketu will also mature. You might see this example sometimes, a person has a well-placed Venus however is not bothered about making solid relationships, flits from one partner to another then suddenly stabilises late in life after 48yrs of age and actually enjoys life with his/her spouse. Then again if both planets are more than 15deg away but in the same house, even then the early maturing planet will not be able to express itself fully regarding the results of that house till the other also matures.
Here are some typical indications of planet maturity. The results will be modified by conjunct planets as above and the role of that planet in your chart.
- Jupiter maturing will grant you an increase in opportunities for education. Suddenly you are no longer the juvenile teenager, you seem to understand more about life. You seem to grow up perceptibly around the age of 16yrs.
- Then the Sun follows, maturing at the age of 22yrs. He will grant a sense of personal ego and an increase in awareness of your personal place in the society. Most likely you will begin to work at the age of around 22yrs.
- Then comes the Moon. This change is seen more spectacularly here. If you have observed yourself in the 24thyear of life. The emotions and mental processes seem to stabilize and the response to life seems to become mature. This happens gradually over a year so you might see yourself gradually getting wiser. This change is more visible if you have a Cancer ascendant persons as your body and mind both seems to grow up in this brief period of one year.
- Then is Venus at 25yrs. Around this age you are more settled on your relationships and marriage is on the cards. You are more aware of the significant relationships in your life and you appreciate them internally. The childishness and dreamy romance will reduce as you approach partnerships more practically. For the spiritually inclined this year onwards will bring increased awareness of your Conscious Self.
- Followed by Mars at 28yrs. This change also can be perceptible. You seem to become a bit less aggressive, more settled, around the age of 28yrs onwards. Meaningless competitions and juvenile rage subsides and you can think more clearly before you act.
- Mercury matures at 32yrs. Now onwards you feel more analytical towards life. You know your accounts and loans and you feel the seriousness of money. You might get interested in investing and in business and ensuring financial stability. Your conversations also become more meaningful and superficial gossip appeals less.
- Saturn gets his maturity at the age of 36yrs. This is the most significant year of your life. This year you will be experiencing your third Jupiter return, your second Rahu/Ketu return and the maturity of Shani together. This is the year you finally grow up. No vestige of the child/teenager remains and you are sure about your place in the society, your work, your mind, your philosophies and your Karma. If you are still less than 36yrs old remember to analyse yourself when you turn 36yrs old in the future.
- Finally the Rahu/Ketu Axis matures at the age of 48yrs. Now you are also aware of the internal balance of Karma, of the objects that attract you/Rahu and those which you are indifferent to/Ketu. You are now the best possible version of yourself. After this age you are more objectively able to analyse your entire personality. You can of course improve yourself by conscious effort. All your planets have matured and you are quite settled in your life.
Just like planetary maturity, the houses also mature at certain specific ages of the life, have written about it here. These ages of maturity are very valuable indicators and it is essential to review them before coming to a conclusion in a horoscope analysis.